FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Last night I got out to catch the storm rolling in just after 1 am. I captured this lucky strike then headed back home!

Enjoy!

Aug 19, 2016 at 01:50 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Highway to the Danger Zone

great image with nice silhouette and balanced composition and lively flash in great contrast Perfect shot

Aug 19, 2016 at 05:25 AM
likecoolpics
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Did you take that picture through your car windshield?

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:49 AM
drtaylor23
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Man, so close to being good... blew the highlights though You'll get it next time!

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:51 AM
likecoolpics
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Highway to the Danger Zone

I don't know...as a mediocre photographer - not noticing the technical details too much - I'd much rather see dark cloud detail than expect color in the lightning bolt itself. I think it's a great capture. Where I'm from, I usually just get a ~straight ground to cloud shot. Love how this one is stringing across the entire sky.

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:59 AM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Scott;

This is amazing. The simplicity of the road combined with the sheer force of the lightning make this a wonderful image. Only thing missing is the inspirational message written across the bottom (I say that in a good way - not to imply this is in any way cheesy). Lucky? I think forethought, planning and experience probably had a hand in this. I strive for such "luck".

Todd

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:09 AM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Awesome, Scott! Exceptional capture. Congrats.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:22 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Love it.
We get our share of strong electrical storms as well, but with our hills we can't enjoy a big sky.
Well done!

David

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:36 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Hey Scott, this is bloody awesome! I was out the same night North of the city and it was a show and a half! My cloud structure was entirely different though and most lightning appeared as diffused 'sheet' lightning. I'm sending you a PM to compare notes on settings. Hope you're well, talk soon...
-Cam

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:45 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Hey Scott,

This is really awesome. The road is simple, but perfect for this.

Jim

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:18 PM
Fotofly71

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Scott,

Great shot. Where I live I have to travel for quite a few miles just to be able to get good view of a storm cloud like that.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:59 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Great Scott, what a shot!!. Voted

Aug 19, 2016 at 01:02 PM
Gregg B.
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Nice shot Scott. You must've been terrified to see it up close.

Aug 19, 2016 at 02:17 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Nice impact Scott. Love this one.

Aug 19, 2016 at 02:48 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Highway to the Danger Zone

Thank you all very much!. I really appreciate the feedback!

It was pretty dark out but behind me in the horizon was some light from clear skies and a full(ish) moon which gave me enough light to see what I was doing. I was actually more terrified of a tornado in the dark. It was kind of calm and the storms had been reeking havoc throughout the province all evening. Just as it came to my neck of the woods it started to weaken. The strikes were decreasing in frequency. Strikes like the photo above were every couple of mins min but this was the closest and most dramatic strike I saw. I capture another strike just moments earlier with a slightly different comp. I was trying to lead in more with the road. Though I really like the photo and the cloud structure I decided to try for one more when I saw the clouds where nicely arched above the highway. Sure, I had a sense the storm was due to produce a big strike, you can somewhat time it actually, and that it was going (hopefully) happen in front of me but you still have to take a chance on camera settings. VERY easy to say after the fact shoulda woulda coulda but the reality is, it is a very dynamic situation and no one setting fits all. You gotta use your know-how and make a judgement call on the fly. F8 or ISO200 would have saved the blown channels but thankfully not all channels are lost and so recoverable. I am glad as I could have easily set to F8 and gotten a much weaker strike that rendered the rest of the scene too dark, even to recover in post.

Aug 19, 2016 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.