I know that LR will not recognize the D750 NEFs yet, but what if you convert it to DNG via Adobe DNG converter? Will LR read the DNG's then?
Gave it a try. No. It's still not a supported file. Best option I know of right now is you can get a TIF out of Capture from the RAW.
For those wanting to use ACR/LR for D750 raws, you can modify the EXIF so that the files loook like D5300 images, which is the closet representation to a D750 file. You can see instructions here. Be sure to keep backups of your original D750 NEFs.
I saw that before, but it strikes me as odd that a DX sensor profile is the closest thing to the D750.
snapsy wrote:
For those wanting to use ACR/LR for D750 raws, you can modify the EXIF so that the files loook like D5300 images, which is the closet representation to a D750 file. You can see instructions here. Be sure to keep backups of your original D750 NEFs.
Pit2k wrote:
I saw that before, but it strikes me as odd that a DX sensor profile is the closest thing to the D750.
It's because starting with the D5300 Nikon changed their NEF processing so that the black level floats rather than being clipped to zero. If you patch a D750 to look like a D600/D6100 then you'll get a purple mess.
"Is it my imagination or does the D750 (in your JPEG examples) best the D4 in noise quality/quantity at high ISO by at least one stop? If so, then WOW!"
It does look better but that may be what looks to be better AWB on the D750. The D4 is very blue.
Gregg Heckler wrote:
"Is it my imagination or does the D750 (in your JPEG examples) best the D4 in noise quality/quantity at high ISO by at least one stop? If so, then WOW!"
It does look better but that may be what looks to be better AWB on the D750. The D4 is very blue.
Fair point. Redid the tests. Used a tripod and set a custom WB on both cameras.
SGallant was kind enough to supply me the NEFs. I'm seeing a strange differential in how Capture NX-D is processing the D4 files vs the D750. In Capture NX-D I see more impulse noise and High ISO shadow tinting on the D4 than I do D750, as if the D4 has less dynamic range than the D750 but that can't be. I'm still trying to figure out what's happening. For control I processed both files in LR5 instead - for the D750 I converted the NEF to look like a D5300 image via exiftool -model="Nikon D530" <file.nef>
Here are both files processed using LR5 defaults, including default NR. The D4 NEF output brightness was about 0.20EV higher so I brought it down to match the D750. Both were downsampled to 8MP for a fair, per-sensor area comparison. In these, the D4 image is cleaner with better HIgh ISO DR: