Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · #617 Earthships

Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #617 Earthships

Here in Taos there is a community of totally off the grid houses known as Earthships. Created by Architect Mike Reynolds this wonderful use of trash, used bottles, tires and materials are used in building these amazing futuristic houses. Just google "earthships" to find out more info on how they are made. Some of them look like they are right out of "Star Wars"

Earthships

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:22 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #617 Earthships

Great idea for the WA! I've had interest in earthships for many years now.

Aug 01, 2014 at 08:16 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #617 Earthships

Very cool and quick take on the theme, Klaus.

It's so ironic that you posted this shot. I was just going back in my archives this past week, and was viewing some images from a hot air balloon trip we did there over the Rio Grande Gorge. It was 10 years ago, and I had just purchased my first DSLR on the trip. I have some overhead shots of this area.

Near the end of the trip we hovered over this neighborhood for quite a while. We basically lost wind. Our pilot did not want to land there. Said the people did not like interlopers, and was concerned about possible trouble if we landed. After a lengthy wait, we ran out of options. Unfortunately the lack of wind above was a trick. As we neared the ground, a sudden gust of wind caused us to take a tumble on our landing. The basket laid on its side, and we laid on top of one another. Fortunately, no injuries, and no altercations. We quickly assisted in loading the equipment into an awaiting truck, and sped off.

By the way, it was an awesome experience. Used Pueblo Balloon Company.

Ed

Aug 01, 2014 at 09:32 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #617 Earthships

Cool abodes Klaus! The left totem looks like an artistic wind mill for power generation.

Aug 03, 2014 at 09:46 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #617 Earthships

Cool shot of some imaginative architecture. Recycling may well be the way of the future when we run out of raw materials.

Aug 04, 2014 at 04:31 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #617 Earthships

Great capture Klaus!
Meets the WA theme perfectly!
Dan

Aug 05, 2014 at 04:58 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #617 Earthships

Thank you all very much for your comments. These places are just too cool and as I was chasing storms in Taos this week I had to shoot a couple of them for the WA. They are very futuristic in many aspects.

Aug 05, 2014 at 09:26 PM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #617 Earthships

JHut wrote:
Cool abodes Klaus! The left totem looks like an artistic wind mill for power generation.

Thanks and it is a wind generator with a little Taos artistic twist

Aug 05, 2014 at 09:27 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #617 Earthships

Good take on the topic, Klaus. I never get over the sky out west - beautiful!

Aug 05, 2014 at 10:51 PM
letgo58

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #617 Earthships

Great weather and the adobe curved structures work well in the high desert setting- striking! Thanks Klaus

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.