Sal Baker wrote:
The improvement of X-Trans over my 5DII files is subtle but satisfying, particularly when camera ergonomics are taken in to account.
Sal
I can't speak for Canon, as I've not owned any of their sensors, but, as a long time Sony CMOS user, I wouldn't trade their Bayer aps-c sensors for X-Trans, let alone their FF sensors.
douglasf13 wrote:
I can't speak for Canon, as I've not owned any of their sensors, but, as a long time Sony CMOS user, I wouldn't trade their Bayer aps-c sensors for X-Trans, let alone their FF sensors.
I can only speak for the the 5DII not all Canon FF sensors. The X-E2 was an improvement, less detail smearing and much cleaner flexible blacks/shadows. Also, not thrilled with the Canon lenses compared to Fuji. My 16-35 f2.8 L II never looked even "good" at 28mm. It continued to burn me after a trip to the shop.
Sal Baker wrote:
I can only speak for the the 5DII not all Canon FF sensors. The X-E2 was an improvement, less detail smearing and much cleaner flexible blacks/shadows. Also, not thrilled with the Canon lenses compared to Fuji. My 16-35 f2.8 L II never looked even "good" at 28mm. It continued to burn me after a trip to the shop.
Sal
Yeah, I've read a lot about how bad the 5Dii's shadows can be. Sony has had a leg up on them for a while in that regard (X-trans sensors are apparently just Sony sensors with a unique cfa.)
Yep, as a 5DII owner (soon to be ex-owner) the X-trans in many ways is a step up, or at least a step in the right direction. The lack of shadow noise, banding, and so-so dynamic range of the 5DII is not missed. Don't get me wrong, the 5DII has been, and still is, capable of fantastic images it's just the sensor is getting a little long in the tooth and the 5DIII is only marginally better.
ken.vs.ryu wrote:
Can you do a comparison with a non fuji lens? Doesn't fuji also mess with lens correction. I'm not sure if it's xtrans related or not.
On Fuji's newer/ better lenses, such as the 23/1.4 and I believe the 14/2.8 as well, Fuji is one of the few manufactures to actually take care of corrections optically (unlike say Leica or even Zeiss with their APS lenses). Zooms are a different story though. One can run the Fuji files through an alternative raw converter (besides Lightroom/ ACR) to easily confirm how much automatic correction is applied.