FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

_julian_
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Good lens manufacturers are going to be attracted to this camera like bees to honey. The A7R represents an opportunity to showcase their best optical designs using the best 35mm sensor on the market.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:06 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hello P45+!!!!

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:14 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Some samples from Sony, one from 1,8/55 and one from the 4/24-70.

The character of the Sonnar 1,8/55 seems to be not too far from the RX1 Sonnar.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:28 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

rscheffler wrote:
My feeling is the lenses that will best match these cameras in terms of size and proportion are M/LTM and those from manual focus SLR systems of yesteryear... meaning, should be great for the alt community.

I win! I either get to use my old OM Zuiko travel kit 24/35 shift/fast 100 or I get to sell it to someone who'll be able to use these lenses to their potential. It's even roughly the same size and weight as my old OM-4. Sadly, they apparently emulated the battery-suckingness of the OM-4 as well (but at least they're rechargeable).

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:31 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

call me weird but I still want a Canon 1DS MarkIII

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:35 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

The A7/A7R is almost perfect. I wish Sony would have released some numbers in terms of what the UWA lens is going to be. I have a feeling it'll be f/4, but it won't be a problem for me as I want a light small lens for landscape/travel photography. I sure hope Sony doesn't release this lens in 2015. It would have been perfect if they release a lens roadmap for the next 12 months.

A couple of things that I don't understand. With their RX series, Sony offers the ability to shoot in different aspect ratios. 3:2 and 16:9 isn't enough. They should at least offer 4:3 and 1:1 as the RX10 and RX100 II have it.

For AEB, it would have been great if they added the ability to shoot 7 exposures. 5 is alright and should be enough for most people, but still...

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:38 AM
balazsu

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sebboh wrote:
you don't like the size of dslrs or their lenses. also, some people prefer evfs, and finally, if you shoot canon for the sensor.

I do not think it has that much of a size advantage compared to a dslr, which is a more versatile tool. The sensor is a valid argument, i agree.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:39 AM
melcat
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

balazsu wrote:
I do not think it has that much of a size advantage compared to a dslr, which is a more versatile tool.

Specifically, those OM lenses I mentioned are 1/2 to 1/3 the size and weight of Canon L equivalents. If you go out and buy Leica M mount rangefinder lenses (assuming they perform OK on the A7r - too soon to say) those are even smaller. Inevitably the AF, on-lens electronics etc. takes space.

I agree with a previous poster that the 1Ds Mk III is hard to beat as a camera. It is my main shooting body. But it and the lenses are undeniably bulky. I'd think twice, e.g., before taking it on a minibreak to a city where I'd be schlepping it around museums and so on.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:46 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

"Sony's biggest challenge is going to be the lack of lens options"

No challenge at all in my book. With appropriate adaptors my fast Canon 24 will do well for low light and night landscapes, for architecture my Nikkor 28mm PC will be great for example. The whole world of Canon and Nikon lenses will be available for the Sony, with CZ native designs just being the icing on the cake.

Its liberating being able to think of other FF body brands without having to sell existing lenses. Fabulous! I've personally not been delighted with the direction Canon have been going in the last few years, its nice to be able to change brands potentially without losing money on replacing lenses.

Oct 16, 2013 at 04:56 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

digitalbug30d wrote:
call me weird but I still want a Canon 1DS MarkIII

The A7r and 1Ds mkIII seem to be a perfect combination with great complementary / additional features to each other. The 1Ds mk III for the OVF, AF speed and battery life, the A7r for 36Mp resolution, sensor characteristics like HDR caption and high ISO, remote WiFi control, compact size, adaptability to other glass, just to mention the things that matter to me and my style pf photography. I won't get rid of the 1DsmkIII yet, but the A7r is going to be part of my kit.

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:03 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Looks a bit finicky and delicate like almost all Sony gear (A850, A900 exceptions). I would rather just have an E-m1 or D610, at least you have proven lenses and a confident feeling body. I don't believe in FF adapted lenses anymore after reading that Roger article, ugh!

Also, this looks like a PAIN to use.

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:19 AM
ceder
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I cannot see any bulb-mode on the A7r? And is there no cable-release/remote-release?
European prices are pretty fair after all... Hope there will be test up soon!

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:23 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

eosfun wrote:
I won't get rid of the 1DsmkIII yet, but the A7r is going to be part of my kit.

if you carry them both a lot make sure to change hands every now and then

http://pejman.com/jokes/dangers_of_masturbation.jpg

Oct 16, 2013 at 05:32 AM
Sami Ruusunen
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Anyone spot the flash sync speed of these things?

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:00 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

ceder wrote:
I cannot see any bulb-mode on the A7r? And is there no cable-release/remote-release?
European prices are pretty fair after all... Hope there will be test up soon!

It takes the same cable release as the NEX-6 and RX-1, which fits the multi-interface shoe. Sucky, but available. You can of course also use your smartphone as a wireless release.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:01 AM
agentbird
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does it say in the release if this camera supports "shoot without lens" ?
If so I'm picking up a A7R for my Canon 50mm f/0.95.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:07 AM
perost

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

mcbroomf wrote:
Camerastore TV video said that 200ISO is the lowest, not 100 listed here and DPR. Maybe they had an earlier firmware?

•ISO 100-25600 (with 50 ISO extension)

Official specifications are up on the Sony US site now. It says native ISO 100-25600 with 50 extension, but 200-25600 equivalent for movies, whatever that means. But it seems like ISO 100 is the base ISO at least, which is great. I would have been really annoyed with Sony if they extended the shutter speed to 1/8000 only to up the base ISO to 200. ISO 50 and 1/18000 will be very nice for wide apertures in sunshine, I find the NEX-7 a bit restricted in that way.

Now to decide which one to go for. I plan to mainly use my C/Y Zeiss lenses, so I couldn't care less about the PDAF on the A7 but don't anticipate any issues with the A7 sensor either. The question is how much difference the 36 MP AA-less sensor on the A7r makes, and whether it's worth the higher price. Guess I'll have to wait for some more samples before deciding.

Edited on Oct 16, 2013 at 09:15 AM · View previous versions

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:07 AM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
Anyone spot the flash sync speed of these things?

1/160 is what I heard.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:23 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

philip_pj wrote:
Stronger frame in the a7r, full magnesium, looks much tougher for large lens use.

Are we 100% sure on this? The cameras weigh almost exactly the same, with the A7 actually being 9g heavier (probably the weight of the AA filter). If the A7r had a metal front plate and the A7 was plastic, you'd expect the A7r to be notably heavier.

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:35 AM
theophilus
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

joakim wrote:
1/160 is what I heard.

I saw 1/250

Oct 16, 2013 at 07:36 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.