FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              193      
       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

cengell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.194 #1 · p.194 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Sorry Alpha_Geist, I read it wrong, yes it will work as just like a Canon lens works, but as pointed out even the best AF system has issues with macro and with a limited DOF it very hard shooting hand holding.

On a tripod it's easier I find but rarely that happens, mostly hand holding and moving back and forth once I move the focus square where I want to focus.

If you don't have ext tubes for Canon EF is why I talked about the FE tubes at $25 so much cheaper as Canon mt by adoramma.com private label was $82.95 or so last time I looked. with a FE tubes you could use them on any Sony 35 or higher as I want to try with the Sony 55 1.8, that's why the FE tubes made sense.

Christopher

May 10, 2014 at 06:11 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.194 #2 · p.194 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

cengell wrote:
Sorry Alpha_Geist, I read it wrong, yes it will work as just like a Canon lens works, but as pointed out even the best AF system has issues with macro and with a limited DOF it very hard shooting hand holding.

On a tripod it's easier I find but rarely that happens, mostly hand holding and moving back and forth once I move the focus square where I want to focus.

If you don't have ext tubes for Canon EF is why I talked about the FE tubes at $25 so much cheaper as Canon mt by adoramma.com private label was
...Show more

No worries Christopher! I'm eager to hear about your experience with the FE tubes when you get them in.

May 12, 2014 at 02:47 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.194 #3 · p.194 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

R.Young wrote:
I've just bought an A7R and metabones adapter for all my existing ef lenses as well my rokkor and contax lenses which are leitaxed/Buchanan'd to EF mounts. I just tried fitting the contax 35 1.4 to the metabones and there seems to be a grinding issue with the EMF chip I have fitted to the leitax adapter. The connector pins of the metabones are crashing against the emf chip and have ground a pretty big groove into it. My A7R has not yet arrived to test if the chip works with the metabones or even if it is now damaged
...Show more

Just to follow up on this, both my rokkor and contax lenses behave the same on my metabones adapter as with my canon. Not sure if they are emf chips on my leitax adapted contax lenses as it was a few years ago when I bought them, but they record aperture and focal length fine. Buchanan's rokkor - ef adapter also works fine and records correct exif

May 12, 2014 at 05:42 PM
cengell
• • •
p.194 #4 · p.194 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Just got the 2 ext tubes from ebay and work good, now these are the least costly tubes I found but they are good. I wanted some low cost tubes and looks like these will work in FF mode!

I put on my 55 1.8 Sony FF and no dark corners and it will AF, it has a 10 mm & 16 MM tubes and I used both and got good images with them.

Now I would not put much weight on them because they are plastic tubes with metal flanges and because I would not use say a 55-210 with that much weight hanging on them because of the flange screws are only going into plastic.

So I also put on the 35 mm 2.8 Sony FF on and not that it will be the lens to use it on it AF fine.

So more testing needed and for less than $27 for the set seam to be fine for a low use with a 55 or light Sony cropped lens.

Any questions just ask.

Christopher

May 12, 2014 at 06:54 PM
dovey
• •
p.194 #5 · p.194 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Well done, thanks for that information
Do you still have aperture control over the 55 1.8 FE lens or is wide open for shooting?

May 12, 2014 at 07:41 PM
cengell
• • •
p.194 #6 · p.194 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Yes works like if its on the camera same function.
your PM replied.

Christopher

May 12, 2014 at 08:53 PM
paah75

p.194 #7 · p.194 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Lan11 wrote:
I'm getting back to you repeating the same question: "Is this talking reality?"
May I suggest that you look at the prints at usual size. Unless you exhibit parts of the pictures, on the monitor hanging on the wall : -) As to the print comparison, up to the 16x20 size, it’s a yawn.

If you're talking about Alpha 7R vs EOS 5D mkIII, then the Sony 36MP sensor wins hands down in IQ. Resolution is not the only benefit, but the Sony sensor has also 2 stops wider dynamic range (before downsampling). This is magnificent benefit for high contrast situations.

It is also kind of cool that I can use my TS-E 17/4 & TS-E 24 3.5 L II lenses on the A7R and get much better IQ than on any native Canon body at the moment. Unfortunately Canon is lagging in sensor tech and seems very slow at updating it (about 3 year cycles).

And then D800 vs A7R which I both own. The latter produces sharper images with the same lens and aperture thanks to lack of AA filter. Otherwise IQ is pretty much equal. So its largely question of convenience for a particular job.

Internal reflections caused by adapters can be largely minized by using optical flock paper. Its quite easy mod to do. Canon produces sensor refl

May 14, 2014 at 02:02 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.194 #8 · p.194 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

snapsy wrote:
Wonk Alert! I've done a light transmission test (t-stop) on my A7r for all the 35mm to 50mm lenses I have on hand. The purpose of the test is to see how much light is reached at the sensor when the lenses are wide-open, which accounts both for lens transmission (t-stop) as well as sensor micro-lens transmission loss (DxO Article). This information can be used to make weight/size/price decisions for those considering a purchase of these lenses and wanting the best effective light transmission (ie, best low-light performance).

The test was performed by shooting a raw image of an X-Rite Color, with each lens at the largest aperture supported and the chart centered in the frame to prevent vignetting from affecting the results. All raws were loaded into CS6 with identical white-balance. The Leica Noctilux f/0.95 was used as the reference lens since it is the fastest. The 2nd darkest gray patch on the color chart (3rd patch on top row from left) was sampled in CS6 to obtain the reference luminance. I then loaded the images from the other lenses and adjusted the ACR exposure compensation for each so that the 3rd patch matched the luminance from the Noctilux reference...the delta from reference to the f-stop shows the relative transmission of each lens.

Side note: By comparing the light transmission of the Canon 50L f/1.2 and f/1.4 lenses mounted on a generic EF adapter (no electrical contacts) vs those same lenses mounted on a Metabones Smart Adapter (w/electric contacts, so f/stop data passed to camera), I determined that the A7r does a "silent" ISO gain of .35 stops for f/1.2 and .33 stops for f/1.4. The values in the chart for EF lenses exclude those gains (ie, show the real EV difference).

How to read the chart:
* The "Expected Exp Comp" column shows the expected EV difference between each lens tested vs the Noctilux based on the nominal aperture difference. For example, f/1.2 -> f/1.0 represents 1/2 stop nominal difference. For ease of viewing I've rounded the Noctilux up to f/1.0
* The "ACR Exposure Comp Necessary" column shows how much positive exposure compensation was required to match the brightness of the Noctilux. This value is expected to be less than or equal to the nominal f/stop difference.
* The "EV Diff" shows the exposure compensation necessary vs the expected exposure comp. A positive value indicates that the amount of ACR exposure comp was less than indicated by the nominal f/stop difference. A negative value indicates that the amount of ACR exposure comp was more than indicated by the nominal f/stop difference.

If you want to see the effective transmission difference between two lenses, compare them in the "ACR Exposure Comp Necessary" column. For example, the Sony FE55 @ f/1.8 is 1.30EV darker than the Noctilux @ f/0.95.
http://horshack.smugmug.com/photos/i-Sc9xZ3B/0/O/i-Sc9xZ3B.jpg
...Show more

The above quoted post measured the light transmission of various large-aperture lenses on the A7r. This was done to measure both the amount of light loss at the sensor microlenses and the relative light transmission of the lenses tested. I've done a new light transmission test but this time testing the relative transmission of the same lens (Leica Noctilux f/0.95) on all three A7 body types. Per DxO's f/stop blues article, higher-density sensors typically exhibit more light loss at very large apertures vs lower-density sensors, as a function of the light loss at the microlenses. My new test sought to compare this loss across the bodies. Here are my results:

A7s: f/0.95 -> f/1.4 lost 0.20 EV
A7: f/0.95 -> f/1.4 lost 0.27 EV
A7r: f/0.95 -> f/1.4 lost 0.39 EV

The above results were obtained by shooting a color checker chart at both f/0.95 and f/1.4 on all three bodies, then measuring the relative EV difference on each body between those two apertures on the gray patch of the chart. The A7r loses .19 EV more light at f/0.95 vs the A7s (ie, the A7s collects 1/5 stop more light vs the A7r at f/0.95), whereas the A7 only loses .07 EV vs the A7s.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:24 AM
leetmode
• •
p.194 #9 · p.194 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Has anyone found a good eye cup that works with these cameras? Too much light gets in when I try to look through the EVF making it a very frustrating experience when its bright outside.

Jul 20, 2014 at 05:53 PM
redford01
• •
p.194 #10 · p.194 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I don't know of any eyecup made for the camera but you can make one by stretching a Nikon DK-19 over the existing eye piece.

Jul 21, 2014 at 09:39 PM
cengell
• • •
p.194 #11 · p.194 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Hello all, I have ordered 4 of those Nikon knockoffs for my A7r & A7 and it does work so what I wanted was a Hoodman like eyecup but as of yet have not made a real eyecup that fits the eye good to prevent light leaks in daylight....

Until now I found this on Ebay and since have ordered 5 as it nice to have backups. I got it from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201114542036 and it's called Rubber Eyepiece Eyecup for Canon EOS 350D 300D 5D 10D 20D 30D 60D 1D MK II regualr price is $9.99 and free shipping and now it's $5.99 and free shipping and it comes with a great micro fiber cloth that works great!!

It fits nice tight and won't just fall off and it is very soft rubber and looks good on my Sony A7 and A7r body's and at regular price for $10 buck you get a very nice quality eyecup and a great microfiber cloth and they make them 16x16 I also ordered 4 of those to wrap my Sony body's in.

Also you can fold back the eyecup so it's not always out, now the only thing is I took and Dremel tool and removed a bit from inside the black plastic part that is close to the Sony eye sensor, you can also use a file to remove a cutout so it's not blocking the Sony eye sensor. After that it works great and you should like it as I have purchased and tried many options and I like this the best and for $10 and not $5.99 free shipping in the US great deal!

Any questions just ask!

Christopher

Jul 21, 2014 at 10:23 PM
KOJI

p.194 #12 · p.194 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

leetmode wrote:
Has anyone found a good eye cup that works with these cameras? Too much light gets in when I try to look through the EVF making it a very frustrating experience when its bright outside.

1) use old Minolta eyecup (early 70's, hard to find it)
2) use newer Minolta eyecup (EH-7 out of production)
3) use Nikon DK-22 + DK-2
4) use Nikon DK-22 + FA eyepiece + DK-3
5) use Pentax eyecup M 30086
6) use Nikon DK-19 (stretch it) or DK-6 (cut the corners)

Jul 22, 2014 at 08:52 AM
leetmode
• •
p.194 #13 · p.194 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

redford01 wrote:
I don't know of any eyecup made for the camera but you can make one by stretching a Nikon DK-19 over the existing eye piece.

---------------------------------------------

cengell wrote:
Hello all, I have ordered 4 of those Nikon knockoffs for my A7r & A7 and it does work so what I wanted was a Hoodman like eyecup but as of yet have not made a real eyecup that fits the eye good to prevent light leaks in daylight....

Until now I found this on Ebay and since have ordered 5 as it nice to have backups. I got it from http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201114542036 and it's called Rubber Eyepiece Eyecup for Canon EOS 350D 300D 5D 10D 20D 30D 60D 1D MK II regualr price is $9.99 and free shipping and now it's
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

KOJI wrote:
1) use old Minolta eyecup (early 70's, hard to find it)
2) use newer Minolta eyecup (EH-7 out of production)
3) use Nikon DK-22 + DK-2
4) use Nikon DK-22 + FA eyepiece + DK-3
5) use Pentax eyecup M 30086
6) use Nikon DK-19 (stretch it) or DK-6 (cut the corners)

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check them all out!

Jul 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.194 #14 · p.194 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I have the nikon eyecup, works fine but warning that if you wear glasses eye relief does suffer, the far corners go rather dark.

Jul 24, 2014 at 01:44 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.194 #15 · p.194 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Cool, just picked one up as well. That ebay link is dead, but do a search for the title of the auction and you'll find more like it .

Jul 24, 2014 at 01:46 PM
NCam
• • •
p.194 #16 · p.194 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Super old thread, but Adorama has them for $398 today, just picked one up.

Apr 24, 2016 at 09:43 AM
       195       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

195       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.