fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end
  

Archive 2011 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples

  
 
corndog
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


PetKal wrote:
I guess your clients and models must be trembling with anticipation of you taking their portraits with your new fisheye lens at MFD.


I'm with you PK, but that's only because of how I perceive the value of money. If I felt about $1500 the same way I feel about...say $300, then sure, why not try it out.



Aug 08, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Tom K.
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


Neil Van Niekirk has some photos of it here....also with a review:

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2011/08/06/review-canon-ef-8-15mm-f4l-fisheye-zoom-lens/



Aug 08, 2011 at 11:30 PM
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


For those wanting to see the user manual

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300005393/01/ef8-15mm-f4l-fisheye-usm-c-en.pdf



Aug 09, 2011 at 05:32 AM
SchnellerGT
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


Def. a niche lens. Those who need the FoV or money to burn will enjoy it. I would not expect sales on the level of a 24-70L or 70-200LII. I would also expect higher depreciation on the used market.


Aug 09, 2011 at 01:44 PM
swingthis1
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


Its an interesting lens having played with it for an hour or so now but like all fisheyes - it is a niche lens. I chose the 8-15 at a premium of price bc I wanted a diagnol fisheye and figured it would be nice to have 1 lens instead of 2. Save on space and lens - don't save on price.

Will post samples at a later time.

Scott



Aug 11, 2011 at 03:49 PM
John Korduner
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


I've only had a chance to use it for a couple photos to this point. But my first impressions were that it's disappointing out of the box, if for the mere fact I spent 8 months anticipating the arrival of a pre-order. However, I've spent considerable amounts of time with my 8mm Sigma. On FF 8mm and 15mm are the only practical focal lengths, and on the crop bodies, the focal circle at 8mm is distracting and requires substantial cropping.

With that said, the focus and image quality of the 8-15 is substantially superior to my 8mm, and it's also better than what I recall my 15mm Canon provided. I also found the lens' ability to handle flare significantly better than the older 8 or 15mm counterparts. Interestingly, as an aside, the only reason I sold my original Canon was because the lens cap was unreliable...personally, the lock cap design on the new lens is worth premium in itself. Here's a couple of pics I took to observe the zoom differential.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6073/6038791846_490a6d5778_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6038791718_47f442d2bd_b.jpg






Aug 17, 2011 at 08:54 PM
fish_shooter
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


I posted some underwater pix here:
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=41910&view=findpost&p=289503



Aug 19, 2011 at 01:30 AM
bateleur
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


And it looks like it is also usable for IR photography.

No hot spots!

Shot on an IR converted EOS 450D:

http://geckophoto.zenfolio.com/img/v34/p167983896-4.jpg

http://geckophoto.zenfolio.com/img/v28/p69698036-4.jpg


This is a very useful lens for owners of both a APS-C and FF camera! The EF 15-2.8 was a nice lens but I sold it already and I won't look back!



Best regards,



Rob



Aug 19, 2011 at 01:45 AM
bateleur
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


And some 5DmkII circular ones, edited for fun:

http://geckophoto.zenfolio.com/img/v29/p149694660-5.jpg

http://geckophoto.zenfolio.com/img/v33/p327988329-5.jpg

http://geckophoto.zenfolio.com/img/v27/p373265342-5.jpg


Best regards,


Rob



Aug 19, 2011 at 01:53 AM
burningheart
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/summer/IMG_8055_8_15_8_4.JPG

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/summer/IMG_7996_8_15_8_8.JPG

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/summer/IMG_7995_8_15_8_5.6.JPG

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/summer/IMG_7706_8_15_8_8.0_crop.JPG

@15
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/summer/IMG_8026_8_15_15_4.JPG

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/summer/IMG_7876_8_15_15.4.jpg

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/summer/IMG_7970._8-15_15_4.0.jpg

@14
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/summer/IMG_8037_8_15_14_4.JPG

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/summer/IMG_8067_8_15_8_8.JPG

100%Crop
http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/summer/IMG_8067_8_15_8_8%20crop.JPG




Aug 19, 2011 at 09:27 AM
carlsbadbum
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #11 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


Amazing sharpness comparied to the original 15FE.


Aug 20, 2011 at 09:28 AM
Jayem2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


Looks like you can judge sharpness based on these web sized images.


Aug 21, 2011 at 11:00 PM
rprouty
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #13 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


I tried the 8-15 at a store in Springfield, Missouri and bought the 15mm.



Aug 22, 2011 at 01:34 AM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #14 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


PetKal wrote:
.

How many circular images can one make before getting tired of the effect ?



well having viewed 11 on this thread I would say 1

dont like the effect at all . I know it gives the full 180deg bt just looking at them they dont look as wide as the frame filling ones (and yes I know they are)
I will give the upward city shot from weekh some credit as that does actually look pretty good. but I think only a few of those and I would get fed up with them.

On the upside I guess users could sell the black space for advertising



Aug 22, 2011 at 01:59 AM
burningheart
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #15 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
dont like the effect at all . I know it gives the full 180deg bt just looking at them they dont look as wide as the frame filling ones (and yes I know they are)


Actually the full 180 (8mm) is wider than the frame filling ones (15mm). It is 180 degrees in all directions. The frame filling ones are only 180 degrees across the 2 diagonals of the resulting frame.



Aug 22, 2011 at 05:04 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #16 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


Great IQ, Robert, and your subjects chosen showcase the lens well.
As far as the circular FE effect is concerned, I suppose that is a matter of individual taste.

Enjoy the new addition to your massive collection.



Aug 22, 2011 at 06:31 PM
burningheart
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #17 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


PetKal wrote:
As far as the circular FE effect is concerned, I suppose that is a matter of individual taste.


For most photography enthusiasts, except for the few extremists the circlular FE effect is like drinking stale bitter beer or your mom waiting while you eat all your veggies . Definitely not for most.



Aug 22, 2011 at 07:10 PM
Darrell Dorsey
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #18 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


Had a chance to play with this lens at a recent workshop. A Canon rep brought a lot of gear including the new 8-15mm fisheye. Very nice lens. I really liked the removable and rotatable hood. You can rotate the hood 90 degrees to match your shooting orientation. Or remove it all together. I wont be getting one anytime soon considering the price and that I just sold my 15mm fisheye due to lack of use. Only negative is that it is f4. F2.8 would have been nice.

This ones at 15mm on a 5D, you can see my toes in the lower right corner.
http://www.pbase.com/dbdors/image/137453728/large.jpg


This is at 8mm on a 5D.
http://www.pbase.com/dbdors/image/137453731/large.jpg



Aug 22, 2011 at 10:11 PM
abam
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #19 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


interesting use of canon's R&D resources.


Aug 22, 2011 at 11:00 PM
Mgotcher
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #20 · Post your Canon 8-15mm f/4 Fisheye Samples


..

Edited on Aug 22, 2011 at 11:11 PM · View previous versions



Aug 22, 2011 at 11:10 PM
1       2              4       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2              4       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account