fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2022 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?

  
 
Alex W
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


For the first time I will be flying with camera gear. Going to take my A1, 100-400mm GM, 20mm 1.8, 35mm GM and Tamron 28-75mm G2. Would love to take my 200-600mm but do not have the room. I will also take assorted stuff like batteries, chargers and GoPro camera. My plan is to carry it on the plane in a backpack. My tripod will be will packed in my suitcase. I am going to Billings Mt. Any tips would be great. Thanks


Aug 27, 2022 at 09:04 AM
pluturi
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


As you may know, flights to places like Billings are usually on regional jets which have the smallest of all overhead bins. Since you won't want to gate check your backpack, just make sure it is isn't too deep to fit in the bin or under the seat. Lots of beautiful things to photograph up there. Have a great trip!


Aug 27, 2022 at 09:09 AM
Slalom
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


On European flights no batteries can be checked. So that decides a big division between carry on and checked. I usually put lenses in checked baggage so cameras, spare batteries, Laptop, Kindle & anything else with a battery go in cabin Luggage, All the leads can be checked in I usually pack lenses in the middle spaced out a bit.

Medicines and bottles and tubes over xxxMl need checking in.

In the end cabin baggage can be added to until it is max allowed, I usually try to include a fleece as padding



Aug 27, 2022 at 01:09 PM
DaveFP
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


I always carry on all camera gear with the exception of my tripod, a small shoulder bag (that gets stuffed with socks, etc) and non-essential camera gear (e.g. sensor kit, body brush, etc.)

I also make sure I have any critical computer gear and cables with me.

Do make sure that your smallest aircraft can accept your bag.

Edited on Aug 28, 2022 at 01:31 PM · View previous versions



Aug 27, 2022 at 01:20 PM
TravelinBriNY
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


I would think you can get that on, but it depends on the bag. The other option for a smaller flight is to take less in your bag and then carry your camera w/one lens around your neck for the flight; its like taking your jacket out of your pack and wearing it as you check on (or wearing your boots to avoid the extra weight in your pack). Not as comfortable, but sufficient for a single flight.


Aug 28, 2022 at 01:31 AM
Abertawe
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


My ideas are - 1), check with the airlines website as to how much you can carry on and how big the overhead lockers are (if possible).

2), do you really need the 35mm? The Tamron covers the 35mm, perhaps not the quality that you would hope for, but sometimes compromises have to be made.

3), go to your local gun store and check out hunters vests, a sleeveless garment usually with plenty of pockets, should be able to pack batteries in, perhaps also your GoPro.




Aug 28, 2022 at 03:04 AM
Alan Parker
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


Depending on the airport you might have to get most or all of your electronics out. Sometimes I need to turn my bag upside down essentially and picking a bag that makes that a bit easier can go a long way towards avoiding frustrations.


Aug 28, 2022 at 03:19 AM
bjhurley
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


Agreed about checking with the specific airline and if possible the restrictions for the specific plane you'll be flying. I've had a few cases where my carry-on was fine for the first leg of a multi-leg journey but not the second or third and I had to gate-check it with much trepidation.

Some airlines have weight restrictions for carry-ons; others simply say you must be able to lift it yourself into the overhead bin. In general (and maybe in all cases) any lithium-ion batteries must be on your carry-on.



Aug 28, 2022 at 05:02 AM
Timkr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


I highly recommend the pelican 1535 air for travel. It easily fit in the overhead in most planes and, you never know when you’ll have to gate check it and, if you do, it’ll protect your gear much better than a back pack.


Aug 28, 2022 at 08:19 AM
Abertawe
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


Not knowing which type of aircraft you will be flying in, if it´s an A320 then this link may give you a idea of the size of the overhead bins. Compare the size of your backpack.

https://www.noticiaslatamsales.com/noticias/september-october-2014/airbus-launches-new-pivoting-overhead-stowage-a320-family/



Aug 28, 2022 at 11:37 AM
Palmguy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


If you don't have flights booked already, I'd recommend looking into details on the aircraft you may be flying on. Just a quick search shows that Delta serves Billings with both mainline and regional aircraft. Life will probably be easier for you if you can avoid regional jets. It's been awhile since I've been on an E175 but CRJs often require carryon suitcase size bags to be gate checked (plane-side valet, you drop it off and reclaim on the jet bridge). A backpack that can fit under the seat or in the small overheads on these jets would be a must if you don't have any flexibility in flights.


Aug 28, 2022 at 01:07 PM
naturephoto1
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


Hi Alex,

I am not sure which airline you will be taking or even which airlines are now flying into Billings.

But, as mentioned for size of a Photo Backpack, you may wish to consider the Mindshift Gear Backlight 18L, it should fit in the overhead or under the seat of both full sized and regional flights:

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/backlight-series/products/backlight-18l

Specs:

Interior Dimensions:
9.4” W x 16.7” H x 5.5” D (24 x 42.5 x 14 cm)
Exterior Dimensions:
10.6” W x 18.5” H x 7.1” D (27 x 47 x 18 cm)
Laptop:
8.9” W x 13.8” H x 0.8”D (22.5 x 35 x 2.1 cm)
Tablet:
8.7” W x 10.2” H x 0.6” D (22 x 26 x 1.5 cm)
Weight:
3.5 lbs (1.6 kg)
Volume:
18 Liters

Rich



Aug 28, 2022 at 05:10 PM
Abuttolph
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


You can also take two carry-on bags, so if needed, you can divide your gear up with one bag going under the seat and one in the overhead bin. If you are on a regional jet, be aware that the overhead bins are not all that big. If you have to gate check a bag, make sure that it will protect any gear that you have really well. My photo gear suitcase is a Vanguard Alto Fly (I don't recall which size, but it is in this line: https://www.vanguardworld.com/collections/photography-bags/products/alta-fly-49t) and it has terrific protection. I have gate checked gear with it and have not had any problems. Of course, there is no guarantee depending on who is handling the baggage, but at least it if just going on and off of the plane without a lot of handling.

I NEVER put cameras or lenses in checked luggage. My tripod and ball head go into checked luggage and I pad that well with a layer of bubble wrap and clothing. On trips, it is a good idea to take two battery chargers and take one carry on and check the other if you want.

Good luck.



Aug 28, 2022 at 05:24 PM
RoamingScott
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


Rule 1 of flying: Carry every bit of actual camera gear on you inside the cabin. Do NOT check it. The only caveat is a tripod, as they are the easiest thing to replace locally and are also the most durable part of your kit. I always check mine.

Rule 2 of flying: TSA Precheck pays for itself 100 fold, get that immediately if you fly more than once a year. The precheck staff will generally treat you like an actual human as well, vs a bag of blood and flesh that exists only to make their life worse.

Those are the only rules, really I put all my gear in a 22L backpack and have never been given grief by any airline, but I don't usually fly regionals, so I'm not sure if that would be too big for those size planes.

Also, if you ever want to take fresh film through TSA, put it all in a clear ziplock and hand it to the screener behind the conveyor belt and request a hand swap/hand check. They'll be happy to and you won't xray expose your very expensive cans of film.

Just about every major airline flies into Billings these days, you'll be fine: https://www.flybillings.com/295/Major-Airlines



Aug 28, 2022 at 06:30 PM
Alex W
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Traveling with camera gear for the first time. Any tips?


Thanks everyone. I will be flying United from Greenville to Denver in a regional jet. It’s an E175. According to United the carry on can be no larger than 14 by 9 by 22 inches. My Think Tank 26L falls just under those dimensions. They allow one carry on and one personal item so I was thinking a camera bag with my camera and a lens as the personal item. I will check in a suitcase with clothes and put my tripod in that. So hoping that will be good. I am flying 1st Class to Denver and Economy on the leg from Denver to Billings on an A319 jet. Funny thing is on the 1st Class seat I am assigned on the E175 it’s on the first row so no seats in front of me to store anything under. Anyway I may call United just to make sure. One thing I am sure of is I will not let my camera gear go to checked luggage. I won’t get on the flight if that’s the case. Anyway again thanks for everyone’s help.


Aug 28, 2022 at 10:07 PM





FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account