New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2006 · Here's what lens to buy

TJ Asher
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Here's what lens to buy

I answered this question in another forum and decided that the answer warrants it's own thread here too as there are a lot of folks new to photography here.

This question gets asked a lot:

I'm just starting getting into blah blah photography. What lens should I buy?

Here's the answer...

If you have to ask this question, buy the cheapest damn lens you can get.

What? I must be kidding, right?

Sorry, no.

Here's why...

This is really a question that only you can answer for yourself.

For somebody that's just getting their feet wet in this photography thing, if you don't know what lens gets you what, in all honesty, the replies you get from a bunch of strangers, each with their own agenda, is not going to help you at all.

You used to get a 'normal' 50mm lens when you bought a camera. Why that one? It's a base. A place to start. You have to take your cheap-ass lens and shoot lots of pictures with it. Look at those pictures. Study them. Analyze the situation when you shot them. Now ask yourself...

What do you feel is lacking?

This is the most important thing and is what will lead you to your own answer. It bears repeating...

What do you feel is lacking?

Were you not able to get close enough? Perhaps a longer telephoto lens is in order.

Were you not able to get far enough away? Perhaps a wider angle lens is in order.

Sick of moving back and forth to frame the shot? Perhaps a zoom lens is in order.

Wan't a shallower depth of field look? Perhaps a faster lens is in order.

Shots looking a little soft and you KNOW your technique is solid? Perhaps a better quality lens is in order.

These and many others are all questions that you have to answer for yourself. The answer only comes with experience and knowing the equipment you have and knowing where it is letting you down, or even if it is. How much longer, wider, faster? Sadly, this takes time and experience to figure out.

Spending big money on an expensive lens without knowing why is a waste of money. Sure you may look uber-cool with that big white 70-200 f2.8 L IS lens but do you know why you bought it?

If you bought it to look cool, that's OK by me. If you bought it because it's fast throughout the range, great. If you bought it because it has IS, super. If you bought it because you have more money than you know what to do with, bully for you. I honestly don't care why you bought it. What's more important is do you know why?

Don't believe me? It's true. Ask anyone who's been around in the photo business for a few years. Odds are pretty damn high they know what each lens in their bag will give them on a shot. They know how close they have to be for each lens. They know the scene each lens will give them. How do they know this? They know this because they spent the time learning their equipment.

There is no substitute for the time spent photographing.

Spend a little time, and you'll be able to answer most of your own questions.

Now, if you come in and say something like "I'm looking to get a longer reach in my shots. How do a 70-200, 100-400 or 300mm compare to each other?" we can begin to have a dialog. Why? You already know what you are looking for.

I know why I bought each lens I own and why certain lenses are on my list of things to acquire or investigate. That only came through experience.

As I thought about this some more I came up with an analogy that may be easier for some folks to understand.

Remember your first automobile? Did you get a cheap car to start with or did you buy an expensive one? WHY?

That's the key - why you bought that particular car and why you bought each subsequent car or what you are looking for in your next car.

Odds are pretty good that when you bought your first car you had already driven a few others and had ridden in many more so you could start to form your opinion of what you wanted in a car so that when the time came, you already knew what you were looking for. I doubt that you asked a random group of strangers "What car should I buy?"

This same thing applies in photography. If you don't have a lot of experience using an SLR camera with interchangable lenses, you probably don't have an idea of what you really want or need. You need to take a few lenses for a 'test drive.' Stop by your local camera shop and 'drive' a few.

I write this NOT because I don't feel like helping new folks out. Far from it. This is one issue where I can't help you at all. Nobody can. You have to help yourself.

Cheers!
Todd

(Reaches for asbestos suit)

Edited by Scott Sewell on Feb 20, 2006 at 02:11 PM GMT (Reason: Moved from Canon-mount forum.)

Feb 20, 2006 at 01:53 PM
mbwkrause
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Here's what lens to buy

Excellent post, Todd

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:17 PM
monitorpop
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Here's what lens to buy

So I should start with the 70-200 f2.8L IS lens then?

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:21 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Here's what lens to buy

Todd,

Do you feel lighter after unloading?

I was so keen for a 24-70f2.8 - clearly a great lens, I was a newbie and what did I know. But after taking 3000 pictures with the kit kit lens and the 17-85, I realize that a huge number of pictures I took were between 17-25 mm and I could never give up that focal range on a walk about lens. Luckily I couldnt afford the 24-70 or I would have bought it and ended up with the wrong lens for me.

I like the idea of telling the new guys (who have no idea wha tto buy) to look at their first 2000 pictures, analyze the focal length distribution, and choose their next lens based on that.

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:23 PM
Pablo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Here's what lens to buy

Todd, you're right on!

I'm only a little worried that the post is so long that some of the impatient readers won't read the whole thing.

The EF 50 f/1.8 would be a great starting point for most folks. It's cheap! It's actually quite sharp. Finally, it will show you what to get next.

Excellent post. All the best to all those who are just starting out during this wonderful era we live in - the digital era.

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:28 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Here's what lens to buy

EXCELLENT POST !
Should be required reading for every tyro (old expression for newbie) coming into SF photography especially if they have no prior 35mm film experience. Todd has said so eloquently things I wish I had said in response to all those "what lens should I buy" posts.
People today expect instant gratification and think that buying a great lens will make them a great photographer without puting in the time and effort that pros like Todd and others have devoted to their craft. I hope this post stays here for a long time.
Thanks to Todd and good luck to all.

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:39 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Here's what lens to buy

A great lens only allowed me to take much sharper bad pictures

Steve Torelli wrote:
EXCELLENT POST !
Should be required reading for every tyro (old expression for newbie) coming into SF photography especially if they have no prior 35mm film experience. Todd has said so eloquently things I wish I had said in response to all those "what lens should I buy" posts.
People today expect instant gratification and think that buying a great lens will make them a great photographer without puting in the time and effort that pros like Todd and others have devoted to their craft. I hope this post stays here for a long time.
Thanks to Todd and good
...Show more

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:51 PM
pascal03
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Here's what lens to buy

A very good post.

Probably the best advice I have read on this forum when it comes to which lens to decide on.

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:55 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Here's what lens to buy

How about this:

I am new to the dating scene and I would like some advice about what kind of woman I should marry. She has to like to do what I like to do, watch the same kind of movies, eat the same kind of foods, think similar thoughts, and have a sense of humor I will like. I am in kind of a rush, and since I haven't dated much, can someone please just recommend someone in my price range so I can get married ASAP.

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:55 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Here's what lens to buy

Bravo!

Some of the best advise I have heard on this forum for new photogrphers. When I got my first SLR in 1966 I had a 50 f/1.4. I shot with that lens for a year and a half before I bought another.

Jim

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:56 PM
elader
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Here's what lens to buy

They had SLRs in 1966?

I had a KOWA SETR2 in 1972. I guess tha'ts almost 1966.

Jim Victory wrote:
Bravo!

Some of the best advise I have heard on this forum for new photogrphers. When I got my first SLR in 1966 I had a 50 f/1.4. I shot with that lens for a year and a half before I bought another.

Jim

Feb 20, 2006 at 02:58 PM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Here's what lens to buy

Yes, great post, Todd!

And I agree with you and some others: a 50mm is a great way to start photography with.

Feb 20, 2006 at 03:00 PM
Matt Lomeli
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Here's what lens to buy

Good post! I started one earlier (thread) today about making the "jump" into digital. I also mentioned I have the 75-300 f/4-5.6. As this is definitely not a high grade/quality lens...it taught me quite a bit of where I shoot and how I shoot. Unfortunately, it's been on film...quite an expensive lesson. I like the car comparison too. Good stuff.

Feb 20, 2006 at 03:01 PM
Matt Lomeli
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Here's what lens to buy

I agree on the 50mm as well. For the price, it's a no brainer and an excellent learning tool!

Feb 20, 2006 at 03:02 PM
Pablo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Here's what lens to buy

Eric,

If she's got a red ring around her front and an "L" on her, you can't go wrong!

Whoops! That's not what were talking about here.

Feb 20, 2006 at 03:02 PM
mlorne
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Here's what lens to buy

Bravo ! Well said.

Another point: practice, practice, practice. We stress practice with musical instruments and sports but not so much with photography. Practice with your current kit and find out what it does. Get to know it inside and out. Then, like Todd says, you can figure out if you need new kit or not.

Feb 20, 2006 at 03:05 PM
Philippe Arnez
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Here's what lens to buy

Very good post!
I vote for a sticky!

Feb 20, 2006 at 03:05 PM
emgvod
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Here's what lens to buy

Good stuff - this should be a "sticky"

Feb 20, 2006 at 03:07 PM
barabus
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Here's what lens to buy

All newbies, buy each and every canon L lens. When "they" do not take good pictures, sell them to me at a substantial discount! All pm's for cheap L glass accepted and eagerly replied to.

Feb 20, 2006 at 08:02 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Here's what lens to buy

monitorpop wrote:
So I should start with the 70-200 f2.8L IS lens then?

Wish I had gotten that one instead of the 4L, would have gotten more rebate money
But then I wouldn't have been able to afford the 24-70 which I absolutely LOVE!

I just got the 85 1.8 last week and it's okay for basketball but I rather have the zoom for closer up shots so the person's body is in the picture and not just their upper body.

If I had to do it all over again I would buy the 24-70 as my first lense again because of the zoom and low light shooting capabilities. And I did start brand new back in late December

Feb 21, 2006 at 02:15 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.