Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

Searching around the other day, I finally came across a blog post with an easy solution for using external flash with the NEX. It simply involves attaching any external strobe via sync cable to a Seagull SYK-5 slave eye which has an adjustable red eye/ pre-flash ignore function built in. Just turn the adjustment all the way to the right and use the tiny NEX flash to trigger. The slave eye appears to be very sensitive as well - worked perfect with my Dynalites. Not bad for under $20. Here is the Amazon page I ordered from though I think it may be even cheaper via ebay:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFV5PS

Mar 28, 2011 at 03:39 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

Tariq, I bought all the pieces to make this as well, the last I am waiting on is the optical slave.
It should be here in a week or two.
I am very, very interested in this setup; if it works it will broaden the NEX usefulness tremendously.

One thing I am not certain about though is the reason for the double flash. I tried it a number of times and the intensity of the two flash firings seems pretty even. How is the slave going to differentiate between them?

Mar 28, 2011 at 07:50 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

dasrocket wrote:
Tariq, I bought all the pieces to make this as well, the last I am waiting on is the optical slave.
It should be here in a week or two.
I am very, very interested in this setup; if it works it will broaden the NEX usefulness tremendously.

One thing I am not certain about though is the reason for the double flash. I tried it a number of times and the intensity of the two flash firings seems pretty even. How is the slave going to differentiate between them?

In the past, I had read about a number of somewhat convoluted ways to fire an external flash with the NEX, some requiring multiple odd parts. For this method, all you need is the optical slave I linked to (and, of course a sync cord for your external flash/ power pack/ etc.). What other parts did you have to buy?

This particular slave has the ability to adjust the delay before it activates whatever you attach/ plug into it. That way, it can be made to basically ignore the first flash.

Mar 28, 2011 at 08:47 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

Here is a shot (taken with the NEX by the way), showing the slave connected to the sync cord and powerpack. Notice the switch is moved towards the right, away from the lightening bolt. That diagram is supposed to be an eye and the rotating part above it is turned all the way to the right. That's how you adjust the delay between when the slave sees the flash and when it triggers whatever it is attached to. Even with the slave eye facing the floor, away from the camera, it was still triggered so it seems to be fairly sensitive, even from the tiny NEX flash.

http://www.gibranstudio.com/slave.jpg

Mar 28, 2011 at 09:05 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

Very cool, thanks Tariq. I was wondering, how well does the NEX screen work with modeling lights and small apertures? Is it still easy to focus without an auto gain up?

Mar 28, 2011 at 09:27 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

douglasf13 wrote:
Very cool, thanks Tariq. I was wondering, how well does the NEX screen work with modeling lights and small apertures? Is it still easy to focus without an auto gain up?

I have not really used it extensively yet but at F8, it appears to be fine. Doing a quick check, I see just a little bit of noise with maximum magnification. I guess it would all really depend on what light modifiers your using, the intensity of your modeling lights, distance to subject and so on. I'm not sure how things would be if all you had for light was your modeling lights, particularly if photographing people. Everything else though would likely be no problem.

Mar 28, 2011 at 09:43 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

Tariq Gibran wrote:
...What other parts did you have to buy?...

Radio triggers, remote flash, umbrella, boom, bracket to mount a flash beside the NEX.
My intended setup is to shot with the ringflash on board and a remote filler unit onto an umbrella. The setup will have to be portable and light: I will be shooting in the middle of a fire spinning performance.

I think the slave I ordered does not allow for a delay though. Will see when I get it.

Still don't know why the NEX fires two even flashes. Any idea?

Mar 30, 2011 at 09:24 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

dasrocket wrote:
Radio triggers, remote flash, umbrella, boom, bracket to mount a flash beside the NEX.
My intended setup is to shot with the ringflash on board and a remote filler unit onto an umbrella. The setup will have to be portable and light: I will be shooting in the middle of a fire spinning performance.

I think the slave I ordered does not allow for a delay though. Will see when I get it.

Still don't know why the NEX fires two even flashes. Any idea?

The first flash is used to measure the exposure I believe.

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:40 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

Tariq, I received the slave hotshoe a few days ago and it works like a charm. I will post pics of the setup soon.
The double flash does not seem to influence the firing of the slave whatsoever.

Apr 06, 2011 at 02:57 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

I've got one of those sitting in a box or in cabinet somewhere. It's actually pretty old school. Maybe it will finally see a use...

Apr 06, 2011 at 03:48 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NEX + External Strobe... FINALLY!

dasrocket wrote:
Tariq, I received the slave hotshoe a few days ago and it works like a charm. I will post pics of the setup soon.
The double flash does not seem to influence the firing of the slave whatsoever.

I'm surprised the double flash does not mess up the slave if it's a normal slave but that's great news.

Apr 06, 2011 at 06:01 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.