Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2010 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Ok, i LOVE nikon cameras and lenses....BUT, there are just a few things that irk me when it comes to little features that nikon's dont have.....my MAIN one, is this:

if i'm bouncing with on camera flash, and i'm shooting vertical, with the shutter release at the top of the camera (or using a vertical grip), you cant aim the flash ABOVE and behind you....the flash head WILL aim behind you, only if you shoot vertical with the shutter release at the bottom of the camera....which, i dont shoot vertically that way....and it bugs the crap out of me....canon flash units WILL aim behind you in the "correct" vertical shooting position...but nikon's wont

so that's my gripe...what are yours

Edited on Nov 20, 2010 at 06:42 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2010 at 05:56 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

None, I don't use flash.

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:03 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Man, if that nitpick is your only problem with Nikon, then I think we're in good times indeed

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:05 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

I have a love-hate relationship with Capture NX -

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:09 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Avi B wrote:
Man, if that nitpick is your only problem with Nikon, then I think we're in good times indeed

honestly, it really is!! there's really nothing else i can think of....i guess that they don't have a 70-200 f4, or a 300 f4 VR....but they have me covered anyway...

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:09 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Some of their lenses seem to be out of date. No VR on the 300mm f4? Come on. The main problem I see with Nikon is they have a select few excellent lenses and a whole bunch of so-so low end ones. Little in between. The flash deal doesn't bother me since I shoot it off camera anyway.

Kent in SD

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:14 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

NathanHamler wrote:
if i'm bouncing with on camera flash, and i'm shooting vertical, with the shutter release at the top of the camera (or using a vertical grip), you cant aim the flash behind you....the flash head WILL aim behind you, only if you shoot vertical with the shutter release at the bottom of the camera....which, i dont shoot vertically that way....and it bugs the crap out of me....canon flash units WILL aim behind you in the "correct" vertical shooting position...but nikon's wont

Mine does... maybe yours is broken?

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:20 PM
caad4rep
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

molson wrote:
Mine does... maybe yours is broken?

+1

Why does it matter which shutter release button you use?

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:29 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Lol - I saw this and nIkon 300f4 vr is my major gripe! Guess I'm not alone.

In fact, I want that lens so bad I might forgo that D3s I was thinking about and get a canon 7d and their 300 f4 IS.

I have a 300 2.8vr1 but I really need the portability of a 300 f4 too.

Edited on Nov 20, 2010 at 06:32 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:31 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Well, I own a Canon 70-200mm f4 IS, a 300 mm F4 IS and a 500mm f4 IS, along with a MK II. Everything else that I have is Nikon. I wish Nikon had f4 lenses with VR (which are also AFFORDABLE) in the range I am interested in.

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

really?? what units are you using?? i have an sb800 and an sb28, and had ANOTHER sb28 that i sold a while back....and none of them would rotate that direction...so if you're looking at the top of the flash flash, flash head pointed straight ahead, (away from you), it'll rotate 180 degrees to the left (counter clockwise), but it will only go 90 degrees to the right (clockwise....) anyone else have this issue now i'm confused...

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:33 PM
Todd Adamson
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

I think any gripes I have about Nikon would be pretty minor. I wouldn't call myself a fan-boy, but I am honestly pretty darn happy with the Nikon gear that's out there. It would be cool if they made some nice MF lenses with current technology, but I understand why they don't, and there's plenty of good stuff out there from other vendors in F-mount, as well as the classic AI lenses.

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:34 PM
Todd Adamson
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

NathanHamler wrote:
really?? what units are you using?? i have an sb800 and an sb28, and had ANOTHER sb28 that i sold a while back....and none of them would rotate that direction...so if you're looking at the top of the flash flash, flash head pointed straight ahead, (away from you), it'll rotate 180 degrees to the left (counter clockwise), but it will only go 90 degrees to the right (clockwise....) anyone else have this issue now i'm confused...

If it rotates 180 degrees to the left, isn't it pointing backwards, no matter which vertical orientation the camera's in?

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:37 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

it's no an issue of which shutter release you're using, it's an issue of how you're holding the camera.... MOST people when they shoot vertical WITHOUT a vertical grip, they shoot with their hand at 12 o clock, vs. shooting with their hand at 6 clock....my strobes WILL bounce behind me when shooting with hand at 6 o clock, but NOT at 12 o clock.....i'm 99% sure my strobes are fine, and everyone is just confused on what's going on...

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:38 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Todd Adamson wrote:
ok, what i meant was ABOVE and behind me.....not just straight behind...that would be pointless....sorry to confuse anyone...

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:39 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Steve Perry wrote:
Lol - I saw this and nIkon 300f4 vr is my major gripe! Guess I'm not alone.

In fact, I want that lens so bad I might forgo that D3s I was thinking about and get a canon 7d and their 300 f4 IS.

I have a 300 2.8vr1 but I really need the portability of a 300 f4 too.

I really enjoy having 2 systems. Sometimes there is just no substitute for specific tools - like the 400mm IS DO. I took that into the Amazon basin 2 years ago and it was ideal. With 2 systems you have more options available.

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:43 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

The SB-900 rotates 360 degrees. The SB-800 only goes 90 degrees to the right (180 left) but with a simple modification can go 135 degrees to the right.

The only thing I can think of that I don't like about the Nikon system is the positioning of the ISO button. On the D700, D3, and presumably other models, you have to move your left hand away from a normal shooting position in order to change ISO. With Canon ISO is easily accessible with the right hand while remaining in the shooting position.

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:49 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

My only gripe is that the Pro bodies cannot triger a off camera flash by itself. It would be nice if all the bodies had built in radio transmitter to trigger the flahes.

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:51 PM
Gregory.Rotter
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

Mine; messing with AF fine tune can lead to more problems. At least it has for me. I.e I use AF fine tune to correct a lens, I think I've sorted it, then I go to use the lens again and the ammount of correction has change, and all of sudden another lens I had that was fine, now needs fine tuning.

AF-D lenses. I wish they could update them to af-s and keep them the same size. Impossible I know, but boy I wish that wasn't the case.

I want ALL lenses to have rounded aperture blades.

I notice a yellow tint in a lot of shots I take. Not a deal breaker but hey.

The grips coming off the pro bodies, d300, d700, d3 etc.

Nov 20, 2010 at 06:56 PM
---XR---
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · what do you NOT like about nikon??

300mm 4.0 needs another update, all the other major telephoto's got updated to G type VR II with nano. other than that nothing.

Nov 20, 2010 at 07:03 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password