New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2004 · switch to a Leica 2?

JohnM
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · switch to a Leica 2?

We have a few P&S digicams for times when we don't want to carry an slr. My wife has a G3, my son has an S50 & I have an S400(all Canon cameras)

All three take very nice images if you use them at ISO 50(we print 8x10's from all three) & except for the S400 shoot in RAW mode. My wifes camera is great because she uses a 420 EX & Stofen Omnibounce most of the time & not all P&S cameras have that option.

I like the S400 because I have it in a small leather belt case & carry it everywhere so I am never without a camera, but other than its tiny size my sons S50 is a much better camera(you really give up a lot to get the tiny size of the S400)

The Leica is a cool looking camera but since it is overpriced by probably $1000 I can't imagine anybody seriously considering it. The Panasonic is obviously a better deal but that one is also way overpriced.

-John

May 12, 2004 at 10:25 AM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · switch to a Leica 2?

This thread has made we want to pick up a G5 for just carrying around!!!

I hope i can find a mint one!!!

Cheers guys!

Chris

May 12, 2004 at 10:43 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · switch to a Leica 2?

chris78cpr wrote:
This thread has made we want to pick up a G5 for just carrying around!!!

I hope i can find a mint one!!!

Cheers guys!

Chris

As I said before, I've just bought a new one on UK ebay for GBP300, which is considerably less than I sold the first one for only a few months ago!

If used really carefully it can be a good camera, it just has limitations. It serves as my back up pro camera just in case too, the hot shoe is invaluable

May 12, 2004 at 10:48 AM
Gerry Szarek
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · switch to a Leica 2?

I would wait until the C/E RD-1 is out a true rangefinder digital camera, no shutter lag, perfect focusing, etc. I looked at all the small digital camera's before buying the 10D 12months ago, they ALL had shutter lag (some you could get around by prefocusing, which is impossible with kids), poor high asa S/N, etc.

The Digilux 2 is a toy, the VF is an LCD, it does NOT have manual focusing, I believe it does have RAW except you only can take a picture every 5 seconds while it down loads to the card.

BTW should you want to dump your gear at firesale prices please let me know.

Gerry

May 12, 2004 at 12:21 PM
Erin
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · switch to a Leica 2?

Keep your Canon Digital, the Leica is not quite there yet

Here is a very comprehensive three part reveiw from Luminous Landscape (Not by Micheal Reichmann!) that will point out the advantages and disadvantages of this rich mans point and shoot.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica-digilux2-part1.shtml

Voightlander has or is about to introduce a 6 mp digital rangefinder that will take Leica interchangable lense,s, that would be a much better option, the Voightlander lense's are also excellent and brought by many Leica users.

May 12, 2004 at 01:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bouch
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · switch to a Leica 2?

lordarka wrote:
The fact that the Digilux2 is inferior in almost every respect and STILL costs close to $2000 almost upsets to me the point where I am almost personally insulted.

If you want a Leica, get a used M and a 50mm lens and understand what the lineage really all about;

That's about how I feel Arka, the Digilux 2 is really almost an insult, considering all the point & shoots that are available for much less.

Agree with you totally - if you want a Leica get a film Leica or even a Voigtlander (or hold out for the true digital randefinder with the 1.5x sensor). The Digilux 2 is a scam.

May 12, 2004 at 02:39 PM
nutek
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · switch to a Leica 2?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll keep the D30 for now and see how thing goes..

Thanks!
Wenyao

May 12, 2004 at 09:36 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · switch to a Leica 2?

Leica M prices have long-term stability (until film disappears, anyway). That can justify the price in a way that the P&S models fail to do. Leica digicam pricing makes even less sense, given the depreciation and dim prospects for repair into the future. That fabulous D2 zoom is going to make an expensive thud when it gets tossed in the dumpster next year!

I'm taking a break from boat-anchor SLR and DSLR kits by toting a P&S. That doesn't mean tolerating battery regimens, ISO 50, shutter lag, and infinite DOF. I shoot the Contax T pocket rangefinder, and have just bought the T3 AF P&S. These babies turn out a nice pic. Lotsa fun!

May 12, 2004 at 11:12 PM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · switch to a Leica 2?

If you want a proper digital rangefinder go for the new epson rangefinder. With a 6mp chip and the ability to take leica lenses it looks as tho it will prove a big hit!

Chris

May 17, 2004 at 12:35 PM
dave miner
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · switch to a Leica 2?

Wenyao, you have some very good equipment there. A 10D plus those lenes that you have, would blow the doors off of the Leica 2. The Leica would be a nice point and shoot camera, but there is no way that I would trade in those lenses that you have.
Dave.
P.S. If you are still going to sell your Canon stuff, I would be interested in the 17-40.
Thanks

May 17, 2004 at 02:07 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password