FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · website port slideshow crit anyone

lisy78
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · website port slideshow crit anyone

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the slideshow on the front page of the site.

Specifically I'm interested in your thougths on:

1. the first image
2. the combo 1st-2nd image
3. do you think there are any images that you'd leave out as sub-par compared to the rest

Oh I'd also also love your 3 second impression ... your first impression when seeing the front page.

Thanks!

oh yeah the link hu? http://www.disciascio.com

and just for fun if you want you can compare it to what I had here: http://www.manymanymoments.com <--- bleh!

Aug 01, 2010 at 08:56 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · website port slideshow crit anyone

Looks good D(eer) S(hark) S(horts)

it looks like a keeper.
galleries works, at least the main page.

I did pop over to your about to see if you kept the 'stickies' - which you did. nice.

color seems fine .... good for the ladies....
you definitely don't have the 'beach' photog for a Miami area listing.

need to go through all of the images..... the first is nice ... was that done while assisting?

Aug 01, 2010 at 09:15 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · website port slideshow crit anyone

Ziffl3 wrote:
Looks good D(eer) S(hark) S(horts)

it looks like a keeper.
galleries works, at least the main page.

I did pop over to your about to see if you kept the 'stickies' - which you did. nice.

color seems fine .... good for the ladies....
you definitely don't have the 'beach' photog for a Miami area listing.

need to go through all of the images..... the first is nice ... was that done while assisting?

I will most definitely be modifying the about section, but will find a way to keep "stickies"

about the first one... if by "while assisting" you mean I was shooting that with someone else at the time then no, I shot that on my own with the ladies... but it was @ a wedding where I was second shooting

The third image I had a bit more issue with... Tony had set them up in that spot and did most of the posing. However my rationale for including it is that:

1. I think I modified the pose enough to consider it fairly significantly mine (had her turn a bit, look at him rather than towards me and him at her

2. the angle is completely different (what you see is actually a horizontal crop of the real image)

3. the post on the image makes it substantially differnt from the original

so yeah I felt that was enough reason to use it. I'm sure some would agree some not hey it wasn't a workshop

Aug 01, 2010 at 09:34 AM
Marcel VanEerd
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · website port slideshow crit anyone

I only looked at the opening slide show. I can understand you'd want to show selections of different services you offer, however, I'd stick to one theme, ie weddings. Although other shots may show your capabilities as a shooter, I don't think it benefits the visitor. Could you have a shorter opening, with maybe a text slide thrown in here and there suggesting people they visit specific galleries?

We know to look for a "galleries" or "portfolio" link, but on a screen with a resolution of 768 tall (and there are still quite a few out there, think netbooks, for instance) if one were to scroll down a bit to see the entire opening shot, only "portfolio" remains visible above the current photo, and your menu is gone. That MAY leave the impression that this is all you have to show.

Aug 01, 2010 at 10:14 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · website port slideshow crit anyone

Marcel VanEerd wrote:
I only looked at the opening slide show. I can understand you'd want to show selections of different services you offer, however, I'd stick to one theme, ie weddings. Although other shots may show your capabilities as a shooter, I don't think it benefits the visitor. Could you have a shorter opening, with maybe a text slide thrown in here and there suggesting people they visit specific galleries?

We know to look for a "galleries" or "portfolio" link, but on a screen with a resolution of 768 tall (and there are still quite a few out there, think netbooks, for
...Show more

You make some excellent points. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I actually had an intro slide that instructed on how to go full screen, and I suppose I could mention the other galleries there... I'll have to think of how to work that in.

As to limiting the portfolio gallery to just weddings... I know that's how most others do it (and there's probably a good reason for that ) ... but for now I do want to stick to a slightly broader "portfolio" and then more specific (inlcuding a specific LOVE gallery for engagement/wedding) galleries.

If a viewer sits on the portfolio page for 45 seconds, all they see is wedding/engagement... I actually was looking to move up some other shots. I've had a few inquiries for my "MostlyReal" portraits for children (see here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/921989/1#8703385) and I still want to feature a few on the portfolio. The MostlyReal things are definitely one thing that fairly significantly differentiates me from what? 99% of the wedding shooters down here in SoFla so I'm hoping it adds to the perception that I'm not exactly someone who picked up a camera at Best Buy 6 weeks ago and signed up for a craigslist account.

Again...thanks for sharing!

Aug 01, 2010 at 05:03 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · website port slideshow crit anyone

Not the advice you are looking for specifically, but...

Change your page title (html) to: "Di Sciascio Photography - Portfolio" for better SEO.

Aug 01, 2010 at 05:40 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · website port slideshow crit anyone

"3. do you think there are any images that you'd leave out as sub-par compared to the rest"

These are not bad images but I think they could be improved.

The grand mother photo. The angles are a bit too much. I would try to straighten the walls even if you need to PS in a area to make it look verticle.

Like the large tree shot but that extra light in the center of the tree trunk grabs my attention as much as the bride/groom. Maybe reduce that lighted area a little.

Another one looks like tall grass or bamboo shoots. One is cutting the guys face or the image is split. Can't tell what it is. I would PS it out. Nice shot except for that.

Aug 02, 2010 at 11:46 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · website port slideshow crit anyone

Not liking the first two images as... well, the first two images. The second one is quite soft at the smaller size. Nice image, but maybe not the best for the first two. IMO, the 4th (B&W) would be a great first. The 3rd would be a great second, but I wouldn't put two matching images at 1 & 2.

I'd leave #5 out.

Three second impression is good. I think it'd be much greater with the difference in images I suggested.

This new brand is coming along nicely. I'd reconsider that whole "about" slideshow now.

Aug 02, 2010 at 11:53 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · website port slideshow crit anyone

Oh, and I don't like the "3D" logo. Go back to the flat square. It'll stick out better. Use "crisp" or sharper on your lettering too.

Personally, I'd make the background (blog) static as well.

Aug 02, 2010 at 12:01 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · website port slideshow crit anyone

jefferies1 wrote:
"3. do you think there are any images that you'd leave out as sub-par compared to the rest"

These are not bad images but I think they could be improved.

The grand mother photo. The angles are a bit too much. I would try to straighten the walls even if you need to PS in a area to make it look verticle.

Like the large tree shot but that extra light in the center of the tree trunk grabs my attention as much as the bride/groom. Maybe reduce that lighted area a little.

Another one looks like tall grass or bamboo shoots.
...Show more

Awesome catches!

Made notes about all three ... might have a variant of #3 so I don't need to do the ps but it's easy ps nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!

Aug 02, 2010 at 01:51 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · website port slideshow crit anyone

amonline wrote:
Not liking the first two images as... well, the first two images. The second one is quite soft at the smaller size. Nice image, but maybe not the best for the first two. IMO, the 4th (B&W) would be a great first. The 3rd would be a great second, but I wouldn't put two matching images at 1 & 2.

I'd leave #5 out.

Three second impression is good. I think it'd be much greater with the difference in images I suggested.

This new brand is coming along nicely. I'd reconsider that whole "about" slideshow now.

Well... I'm gonna have to say that you must be my long lost brother ha ha ha

I had the slideshow leading with 4... it's probably my favorite in the slideshow... but I got shot down by a bunch of chicks I asked on facebook when I was working on it... they all said it was great but not as a first image.

And I really like the un-three-dee logo better myself too... and a tad smaller. That was a result of playing around and letting a couple of chicks convince me that it looked almost like "jewerly" ... bleh... I think I'm going back to flat

thanks for taking the time

Aug 02, 2010 at 01:56 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · website port slideshow crit anyone

Hum... and now you got me thinking on the static background...

I'll have to give it a try. I was forced to compromise a bit on the look of the bg because I didn't want the bg image to be too ridiculously huge (ok, it is) but at the same time I was having an issue with the look after it got past a certain point. If I make it static... that solves both problems... I'll try it out and see what I think. Thanks!

Aug 02, 2010 at 01:58 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · website port slideshow crit anyone

TTLKurtis wrote:
Not the advice you are looking for specifically, but...

Change your page title (html) to: "Di Sciascio Photography - Portfolio" for better SEO.

I hadn't missed this, dude. Thanks for the catch... gotta reinstall headspace2 or whatever plugin was taking care of that stuff

Aug 02, 2010 at 01:59 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · website port slideshow crit anyone

Oh amonline...

I forgot to address the "about" comment. Yeah I'm leaning that way.

The bottom line is that the About section I have is NOT going to get me any brides who might have been on the line... but it MIGHT lose me someone who might think I'm a bit too far out. Which in reality I'm really not. I handle the job in the most professional of ways and feel that I can make it fun at the same time... that slideshow is really highlighting the fun and not doing TOO much for the rest.

I really love it and it says a lot about me... but sometime you have to make hard decisions because they benefit you. It might be something fun to link brides to ONCE they've booked... to give them a sense of the levity that will come... but I really DO think I might lose bookings as things stand right now.

Ciao!

Alessandro

Aug 02, 2010 at 02:04 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · website port slideshow crit anyone

The thing is, you understand where it might hurt you. It's exactly my thinking as well. Your wedding work is getting stronger and stronger... unfortunately, that "pushes" you towards more seriousness and professionalism. I like the about thing now, but I think we both agree its almost run it's course.

Aug 02, 2010 at 02:48 PM
vmarria

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · website port slideshow crit anyone

please take all these comments with a grain of salt as I’m not a photographer...just do photography as a hobby that’s why i visit this site...but I’ve been doing web designing and development for over 10 years so my critique is based on that...

1. I would remove the recent posts menu items...instead have it as a side bar for them to view recent posts.
2. you have background image/texture that isn't long enough if you scroll to the bottom of the page it just turns to a solid purple.
3.the blue drop down menu background color doesn't really go well with the purple theme you have going i would change it.
4. I'm sure 90% of the people that are planning for their wedding are probably doing it at work, and at 90% of these location facebook will be blocked. like at my job for instance when i hover on the facebook link i get a giant red corporate warning message. (not sure I would remove it just giving you a heads up)

Aug 02, 2010 at 03:17 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · website port slideshow crit anyone

vmarria wrote:
please take all these comments with a grain of salt as I’m not a photographer...just do photography as a hobby that’s why i visit this site...but I’ve been doing web designing and development for over 10 years so my critique is based on that...

1. I would remove the recent posts menu items...instead have it as a side bar for them to view recent posts.
2. you have background image/texture that isn't long enough if you scroll to the bottom of the page it just turns to a solid purple.
3.the blue drop down menu background color doesn't really go well with the
...Show more

Excellent suggestions, and thank you for taking the time to make them.

I went with the sidebar for the recent posts (hadn't realized that was an available widget!), The background is now static. I'm going to stick with the bg color for the menus right now... and while you're certainly right about the facebook thing... I think the drawback of the facebook feature not working is irrelevant compared to the potential benefit from getting the fb hits.

Again, thanks A LOT for chiming in from your perspective.

Alessandro

Aug 02, 2010 at 08:41 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.