fredmiranda.com
Login

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
  

Archive 2009 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)

  
 
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


Did Nikon ever make an 800mm AF lens? Or are they using a Sigmonster or a 400/2.8 VR + teleconverters?

Samples can be downloaded from http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts128/multimedia/fd3/fd3_gallery.html



Sep 20, 2009 at 03:08 PM
lou f
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


no

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#800

quite a few dead pixles, cool shots.



Sep 20, 2009 at 03:12 PM
theSuede
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


They've been using the 200F/2VR and 400F/2.8 (the 400VR since 2006) as a package with the the 2.0TC ever since the 200mm and the new 2.0TC was in prototype form back in 2002 - NASA had them before they went into final production, 2003 or something like that. Don't ask me why they use that combination, I'd think that the 300+400 & 2.0TC or the 200+300 & 2.0TC would be a better choice, giving either 300-400-600-800 or 200-300-400-600... Now they've got 200-400-800.

I've got a few pictures of the first prototype 200F/2VR as it was sent on the first journeys, with a slightly different exterior than the final production version. And I'd kill for one of the first NASA/ESI-spec 2.0TC's... Which are reportedly hand selected & slightly different speced than the "normal" TC as we can buy it. :-)



Sep 20, 2009 at 09:33 PM
James R
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


theSuede wrote:
...2.0TC's... Which are reportedly hand selected & slightly different speced than the "normal" TC as we can buy it. :-)


I pretty sure it is different and very expensive--could make the D3X look like a bargain.



Sep 20, 2009 at 10:04 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


The EXIF data is inconsistent. For example, the 2nd one on the page is listed as 800 mm, but the data shows 300mm at f/5.6. The first one is 800mm. I wonder if there are so many hot pixels from comic rays?

EBH



Sep 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM
NikonAndy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


EB-1 wrote:
I wonder if there are so many hot pixels from comic rays?

EBH


I've always found comic rays much more enjoyable than cosmic rays



Sep 21, 2009 at 12:45 AM
davenfl
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


NikonAndy wrote:
I've always found comic rays much more enjoyable than cosmic rays



much more enjoyable +1



Sep 21, 2009 at 12:57 AM
ai3x
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


I guess the nice things is you really don't need IS in space...


Sep 21, 2009 at 08:31 AM
lou f
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


theSuede wrote:
They've been using the 200F/2VR and 400F/2.8 (the 400VR since 2006) as a package with the the 2.0TC ever since the 200mm and the new 2.0TC was in prototype form back in 2002 - NASA had them before they went into final production, 2003 or something like that. Don't ask me why they use that combination, I'd think that the 300+400 & 2.0TC or the 200+300 & 2.0TC would be a better choice, giving either 300-400-600-800 or 200-300-400-600... Now they've got 200-400-800.

I've got a few pictures of the first prototype 200F/2VR as it was sent on the first journeys, with
...Show more →

dont think they have any tc up there.

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-13/hires/iss013e82951.jpg

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-14/hires/iss014e08795.jpg



Sep 21, 2009 at 09:57 AM
NightOwl Cat
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


I guess weight for handholding isn't an issue up there,


Sep 21, 2009 at 10:41 AM
theSuede
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


......-"Working off the Russian discretionary “time permitting” task list, Padalka conducted a session of the GFI-8 "Uragan" (hurricane) earth-imaging program, using the NIKON D3X digital camera with SIGMA 300-800 telephoto lens for subsequent downlinking on the BSR-TM payload data channel. "

:-)

I've misplaced the link where the prototype 200F/2VR and the TC20 is together with a D2x on an earlier mission... If I remember where it was, I'll update.



Sep 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM
HeaVy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)



dont think they have any tc up there.



I see one in each picture.

One in the first picture on the 400mm.

The second picture has one hanging on the wall on the left under the big blue filter.


Darren



Sep 21, 2009 at 11:42 AM
Timm
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


I wonder how long it takes to stow all that lovely gear for maneuvers/ re-entry?


Sep 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM
Medic1210
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


Cool shots, but holy crap, that's a LOT of hot pixels! WTH?


Sep 22, 2009 at 10:33 AM
Gregg B.
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


Hot pixels?
Take a long exposure shot with the long exposure noise reduction function set to off. You will see a lot of them in your image.
Apparently the sensor gets hot enough for the blue, green or red pixels to pop up.
If you take shot at say 1/60 of a sec. you'll never see them.
I recently took a nightshot with an 8 minute exposure and I've got I guess a hundred such pixels. With long exposure function set to ON not even one showed up.
Read this: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/813560



Sep 22, 2009 at 03:34 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


NikonAndy wrote:
I've always found comic rays much more enjoyable than cosmic rays


OK, you know what I meant.

EBH



Sep 22, 2009 at 09:55 PM
EB-1
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


What's that funky stereo film camera? Are those 24/2.8 AI-S lenses?

EBH



Sep 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM
Medic1210
Offline
•
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


Gregg B. wrote:
Hot pixels?
Take a long exposure shot with the long exposure noise reduction function set to off. You will see a lot of them in your image.
Apparently the sensor gets hot enough for the blue, green or red pixels to pop up.
If you take shot at say 1/60 of a sec. you'll never see them.
I recently took a nightshot with an 8 minute exposure and I've got I guess a hundred such pixels. With long exposure function set to ON not even one showed up.
Read this: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/813560



Well, that's all fine and whatnot, but these are not even close to being long exposures. The EXIF shows them to be ISO 200 at 1/2500 second exposure.



Sep 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Jammy Straub
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


The photos posted directly to the thread could have been taken with a Kodak, who knows what kind of use and abuse those bodies have endured. It looks like whatever took them doesn't have a moire filter. I wonder if sensor heat becomes more of an issue in a partial vacuum.


Sep 23, 2009 at 12:52 AM
NightOwl Cat
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · NASA photos via Discovery from a D3X & a 800mm(?)


Also consider the forces that play on the cameras for liftoff and reentry.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/research/2007/faq-shuttlereentry.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A6381038



Sep 23, 2009 at 06:34 AM
       2       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

       2       end
    
 

Welcome back
Log in to your account