New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2008 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Mike Ganz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Finally got to the Tetons last week and made a point to use several alt lenses that I took along (Oly 21, Oly 24, Leica 35) in addition to my standard Canon AF zooms. These two pics were taken with the Leica, and the lens is everything that I hoped it would be. Very sharp, excellent edge to edge, etc. Had to toss a few out, however...I didn't have my 49mm WA adapter for the Lee grad holder, so had to hand hold the filters...managed to get some good shots of my fingertips in the process. Still have a lot more pics to get through. Thanks to Paul (pdmphoto) for selling me this fine lens.

Golden aspens and sagebrush (very windy day):
http://northlake.smugmug.com/photos/380732327_bhyiq-XL.jpg

Cathedral Group in early morning light:
http://northlake.smugmug.com/photos/380732201_affMG-XL.jpg

Sep 26, 2008 at 01:41 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

beautiful.

Sep 26, 2008 at 01:44 PM
foxbat
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

great stuff Mike. The 35 elmarit has a permanent place in my landscape kit for all the reasons that you have discovered

Sep 26, 2008 at 03:48 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Nice images, congrats Mike. I highly recommend the 35mm Elmarit-R (especially the older 2nd version) for anyone looking for a super well built, corner to corner sharp 35mm prime with great color.

Sep 26, 2008 at 06:22 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Gorgeous!

I want one.

(Just when I thought I had my kit all figured out.)

Sep 26, 2008 at 06:25 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

BTW, since there are at least 56 different 35/2.8 Leicas, can you tell me precisely which lens this is?

(If I understood all the bloody versioning stuff with Leicas, I might actually own one).

Sep 26, 2008 at 06:30 PM
ziyadj
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

some info that may help

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00JcuR

Sep 26, 2008 at 06:42 PM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

cogitech wrote:
BTW, since there are at least 56 different 35/2.8 Leicas, can you tell me precisely which lens this is?

(If I understood all the bloody versioning stuff with Leicas, I might actually own one).

Hi Paul:

My lens is the Elmarit-R, 2nd version. Apparently, this version is optically identical to the newer third version, which has a built-in hood and sports a standard (55 mm) filter thread. The third version is about 100g lighter than the 2nd, which I would interpret to mean that it also has more plastic (maybe) incorporated into the design. The 2nd version has a 48mm filter thread, which needs to be bumped up to 49mm with an adapter ring. Even so, with the adapter ring and a slim B+W CPL, I don't get any vignetting. The serial number is the key in making sure that you don't get a 1st version of this lens (lower contrast, prone to flare).

Here's a link for more information:

Leica Lens Info

Sep 26, 2008 at 06:55 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

I appreciate the help, Mike, but I honestly cannot figure it out. 2nd version meaning 2 CAM

I wouldn't know a 2nd version from a 3 CAM if they slapped me in the face.

Then there's ROM and E55 and my brain just explodes.

I guess I'll take a stab with the serial number method and hope to get lucky.

Sep 26, 2008 at 07:14 PM
Manfred W. fEU
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Hi Paul:
As Mike said the second and third are the same optic seven in six the third is ligther
and has the build in hood some third versions have the number 11231 these are for Leica SL the R has the number 11251. You can ignore the Rom that is just a basic flash info. Bodies on both are aluminium alloy not plastic.
A fine lens even if the design is 1979.
Mike I just love those shots the second will surely be framed.
Cheers Manfred

Sep 26, 2008 at 07:33 PM
dave chilvers
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Nice photos Mike. That`s nearly as good as my CY 35-70 @ 35

Dave

Sep 26, 2008 at 08:21 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

cogitech wrote:
I appreciate the help, Mike, but I honestly cannot figure it out. 2nd version meaning 2 CAM

I wouldn't know a 2nd version from a 3 CAM if they slapped me in the face.

Then there's ROM and E55 and my brain just explodes.

The basic idea is to avoid version 1. Version 1 uses Series VI filters. If you're using the lens on a Canon the cams and ROM mean absolutely nothing. The ones you want use either Series VII filters (a.k.a. 48mm) or E55 (55mm) filters.

Sep 26, 2008 at 10:55 PM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Second version, 2 or 3-cam doesn't matter if you are going to use an adapter for another camera. The third version comes in 3-cam and maybe some ROM versions out there. If you are using an adapter I don't think you should bother spending any extra for a ROM version. In fact, my experience owning a second version, and trying out a third version, is the second is a better lens. Higher build quality (as evidenced by the extra weight but smaller filter size, with no hood), and my copy was optically excellent

Sep 26, 2008 at 11:45 PM
foxbat
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

cogitech wrote:

The serial number (and filter size) method is dead accurate. The only annoyance is when places like KEH don't photograph the lens showing the serial number and you have to call them up.

Sep 27, 2008 at 03:05 AM
Qwerty64
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

I've owned a couple in the past. The one you want is the one with the built in sliding out lens shade. If the front of the lens is narrow and does not have a sliding out lens shade avoid it, it's the mediocre 1st version. 2nd and 3rd version are optically identical. The Elmarit is about equal in performance to the Nikon 35mm f2 and I found both the Elmarit and Nikon to be better than the Distagon or Flek in my experience.

Sep 27, 2008 at 03:46 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I do understand at least enough to get "a good one" now.

Sep 27, 2008 at 09:14 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

I'll close with this shot of a sunset at Oxbow Bend, also taken with the Canon 5D and Leica Elmarit-R 35mm. Man, I just love what this lens can do...

http://northlake.smugmug.com/photos/381401297_rL3Xf-XL.jpg

Sep 27, 2008 at 03:46 PM
s23chang
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

Mike, what aperture you shot at?
I have the E55 version and I noticed it is less center sharp than my late 35mm Summicron at wide open. Stop down to F4 and F5.6 does look very good.
The Elmarit 35mm has almost no geometric distortion and very slight vignette at wide open. Just not as crisp sharp as the latest version.

Sep 27, 2008 at 05:09 PM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

s23chang wrote:
Mike, what aperture you shot at?
I have the E55 version and I noticed it is less center sharp than my late 35mm Summicron at wide open. Stop down to F4 and F5.6 does look very good.
The Elmarit 35mm has almost no geometric distortion and very slight vignette at wide open. Just not as crisp sharp as the latest version.

These three shots were taken at f/11.

Sep 27, 2008 at 06:06 PM
gmanp
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica Elmarit-R 35mm visits the Tetons

The 2nd version uses the rectangular bayonet mount lens hood; that's been the easiest way for me to tell from the first version. First version uses a round clip-on hood.

Sep 29, 2008 at 07:43 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.