Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2008 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

I switched from PC to Mac a little over a year ago, and couldn't be more pleased. But, there's one PC app I really miss - the FastStone Image Viewer, which is simply the best, fastest, viewer I've ever used.

Anyone know if there's something comparable for the Mac platform? iPhoto just doesn't do it, nor any of the Adobe CS3 applets, and while Photon 1.1 comes close, I don't think it's worth the $70 price tag. I'm looking for something fast, with full-screen capability, for browsing/sorting/culling JPG's.

Jun 03, 2008 at 04:56 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

Have you looked at Photo Mechanic?

Jun 03, 2008 at 01:24 PM
jerryrock
• • •
p.1 #3 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

Preview comes with OSX and is the default image viewer for Mac.

For something more robust there is Apple's Aperture which is image editing/database type software.

Jun 03, 2008 at 02:30 PM
striker
• •
p.1 #4 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

Here is a list of Features that Fast Stone Viewers has all for free.
(I also can't find anything which can match FastStone features for free on the MAC.)

* True Full Screen viewer with image zoom support and unique fly-out menu panels
* Crystal-clear and customizable one-click image magnifier
* Superior Red-Eye effect removal/reduction with completely natural looking end result
* Image modification tools: Resize/resample, rotate/flip, crop, sharpen/blur, brightness/contrast, etc.
* Eleven (yes, 11) resampling algorithms to choose from when resizing images
* Image color effects: gray scale, sepia, negative, Red/Green/Blue adjustment
* Image special effects: watermark, annotation, drop shadow, framing, bump map, lens, morph, waves
* Multi-level Undo/Redo capability
* One-touch best fit/actual size image display support
* Image management, including tagging capability, with drag-and-drop and Copy To/Move To Folder support
* Histogram display with color counter feature
* Compare images side-by-side (up to 4 at a time) to easily cull those forgettable shots
* Image EXIF metadata support (plus comment editing for JPEGs)
* Configurable batch processing to convert/rename large or small collections of images
* Slideshow creation with 150+ transition effects and music support (MP3, WMA, WAV...)
* Create efficient image attachment(s) for emailing to family and friends
* Print images with full page-layout control
* Create fully configurable Contact Sheets - just like the pros (and save $$$ on ink)
* Create memorable artistic image montages from your family photos for personalized desktop wallpapers (Wallpaper Anywhere)
* Acquire images from a scanner
* Versatile screen capture capability
* Powerful Save As interface to compare image quality and control generated file size
* Run favorite programs with one keystroke from within Image Viewer
* Create a no-install fully portable version of the program which can be run from a removable storage device
* Configurable mouse wheel support
* Supports multiple program skins
* Supports dual-monitor configurations
* And much more...

Jun 03, 2008 at 03:42 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

Maybe FastStone is just too good, and I was spoiled by it I've got CS3, Aperture, LR, and BibblePro, but I just want something fast and simple for browsing JPG's. Perhaps I'll upgrade to iLife, which has an improved version of iPhoto, and see how that goes. No trial, though, which wasn't very considerate of Apple

Jun 03, 2008 at 04:54 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

Photo Mechanic has a demo available on their website.

http://www.camerabits.com/site/downloads.html

Jun 03, 2008 at 05:03 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

DanBrown wrote:
Photo Mechanic has a demo available on their website.

http://www.camerabits.com/site/downloads.html

thanks, I saw that. But, $150 to register it? That's MUCH more than I'm looking to spend. Not that I'm blaming them for what they're asking, but it's just more than I need with the other apps I've already got.

Too bad the author of Photon 1.1 is asking $69, as that's really what I'm looking for, but that's simply too much for a simple browser. If they sold it as a $25 shareware app, I think they'd sell 10X as many copies as they do at $69.

Jun 03, 2008 at 05:12 PM
tomrock
• • •
p.1 #8 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

dcains wrote:
Perhaps I'll upgrade to iLife, which has an improved version of iPhoto, and see how that goes. No trial, though, which wasn't very considerate of Apple

The iPhoto that's in iLife is the exact same version they give away when you buy a Mac. If you have an older Mac, then the iPhoto in iLife may be different from yours. But it's going to be pretty much the same with a few new features.

Jun 03, 2008 at 08:05 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

Well, it's not the same as what ships with Leopard, which is what I've got on my 14-month old MBP. I've got iPhoto 6, which has been automatically updated to 6.0.6. iPhoto '08 is part of iLife, and on the Apple site it lists quite a few new features:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/

Whether or not a new MBP ships with iLife '08, I couldn't say, but the iPhoto I've got isn't the same.

A buddy of mine just told me that yesterday I could have purchased Photon 1.1 for $35, which would have been much more palatable, but that was a 24-hour deal only. It was listed on the MacUpdate Promo site, which offers a different software app each day, at a substantial discount.

http://www.mupromo.com/

Jun 03, 2008 at 08:34 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

Aha! Found one that's FREE, and it's fast and simple, too.

http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Jun 03, 2008 at 09:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jerryrock
• • •
p.1 #11 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

dcains wrote:
Aha! Found one that's FREE, and it's fast and simple, too.

http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocoviewx/

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

I don't see where this program is any better than Apple's Preview application (that you already have installed).

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#preview

Jun 03, 2008 at 09:48 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

Viewing EXIF data and slideshows are two things I want. I don't need to do any image editing, just view JPG's post-processed.

Edited on Jun 03, 2008 at 11:08 PM

Jun 03, 2008 at 11:08 PM
walter Bauer

p.1 #13 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

Hi dcains, try parallels run windows on your mac !!!

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd10/?gclid=CI-ugoeS3pMCFRJPxgodtzGmSw

Walt

Jun 05, 2008 at 08:26 PM
jerryrock
• • •
p.1 #14 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

dcains wrote:
Viewing EXIF data and slideshows are two things I want. I don't need to do any image editing, just view JPG's post-processed.

Preview provides detailed EXIF information, slideshows and is free with every Mac.

You don't need Parallels to run Windows on a Mac. They all come with BootCamp software installed allowing you to create a Windows partition and install XP or Vista (you will have to buy the Windows software).

Edited on Jun 05, 2008 at 09:12 PM

Jun 05, 2008 at 09:09 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

walter Bauer wrote:
Hi dcains, try parallels run windows on your mac !!!

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd10/?gclid=CI-ugoeS3pMCFRJPxgodtzGmSw

Walt

Got it, but use it, and XP, as little as possible. Really the only reason I have it is because when I try to print shipping labels for either UPS or USPS, they just don't print correctly. Seems a shame to have XP install JUST for that, but I couldn't figure out a better solution.

Edited on Jun 05, 2008 at 09:43 PM

Jun 05, 2008 at 09:42 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

jerryrock wrote:
Preview provides detailed EXIF information, slideshows and is free with every Mac.

You don't need Parallels to run Windows on a Mac. They all come with BootCamp software installed allowing you to create a Windows partition and install XP or Vista (you will have to buy the Windows software).

I found BootCamp to be somewhat buggy, mostly in that I had issues with wireless network connectivity. No issues with Parallels, though.

Jun 05, 2008 at 09:44 PM
jerryrock
• • •
p.1 #17 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

dcains wrote:
I found BootCamp to be somewhat buggy, mostly in that I had issues with wireless network connectivity. No issues with Parallels, though.

I guess it depends on how new your machine is and what version of BootCamp and Windows you are running.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit Sp1 on a 15" 2.5GHz MacBook Pro (early 2008)with 4 gigs of ram. No bugs and it is very fast. BootCamp 2.0 with BootCamp drivers 2.1 for Vista 64.

Jerry

Jun 06, 2008 at 12:54 AM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

jerryrock wrote:

No - bootcamp is only available with Leopard.
regards,
Jon

Jun 06, 2008 at 03:49 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

not sure if it'll handle canon raw images but nikon view is free and pretty good at viewing and culling.

Jun 06, 2008 at 08:31 PM
jerryrock
• • •
p.1 #20 · Mac alternative to PC FastStone Viewer?

BubbaJon wrote:
No - bootcamp is only available with Leopard.
regards,
Jon

....and you can't buy a Mac without Leopard. Prior to that it was a free utility for Tiger.

Jun 06, 2008 at 09:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password