New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · 10D users - rattle?

Kevin Yong
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 10D users - rattle?

My camera is back from repair after dropping it onto pavement.
When the lens is off, there is a rattling sound inside the camera if I gently shake it
- a bit like a small piece of metal the size of a grain of rice moving around.

I never really noticed this before the camera was dropped.

Just wondering if anyone else's 10D has this rattle....

Thanks,
Kev

PS normally not this paranoid about my gear but would need to take it back to Canon soon as the repair is still under warranty.

Jun 03, 2005 at 12:48 AM
crnama
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 10D users - rattle?

Probably the orientation sensor that tells the camera if you are shooting in portrait of landscape orientation.

Jun 03, 2005 at 12:50 AM
Phil McNeil
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 10D users - rattle?

There is a little tiny noise when the switch for the landscape/portrait triggers, try holding it at 45 degrees and you may find that a little tip one way or the others makes your noise.

Jun 03, 2005 at 12:52 AM
burtvelo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 10D users - rattle?

Do you have the Battery Grip BG-ED3 ? If so, then check to see if the old cover inside the grip did not come loose when you dropped it. This happend to me and drove me nuts for a few weeks.
Burt

Jun 03, 2005 at 02:49 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 10D users - rattle?

burtvelo wrote:
Do you have the Battery Grip BG-ED3 ? If so, then check to see if the old cover inside the grip did not come loose when you dropped it. This happend to me and drove me nuts for a few weeks.
Burt

oh yeah, that happened to me too! I really thought that something was broken in the camera... so do check that first.

Jun 03, 2005 at 05:08 AM
Kevin Yong
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 10D users - rattle?

Thanks everyone,

I think crnama and Phil M have the answer to my question. I always wondered how the camera knew which way up it was.

I just got paranoid after dropping my camera and was checking it much more closely than usual. Now I'm pretty sure that my camera always had that little rattle.

Thanks again
Kev

Jun 03, 2005 at 05:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

melissa1959
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 10D users - rattle?

Excuse me for being so nosy, but I'm terribly curious. What was the charge for repairing a dropped camera and how extensive were the repairs?

Jun 03, 2005 at 06:12 AM
Kevin Yong
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 10D users - rattle?

Melissa,

The camera fell out of an open backpack which I had just picked up and slung over my shoulder.

Repairs came to $629australian dollars (including 10% GST tax)..

Parts:
PCB assy camera main. $145
AE sensor assy. $50
shutter assy $62
Labour - dismantled camera, removed mirror box and replaced shutter unit. replaced AE sensor assembly and main board. reassembled, checked and teseted. $314.

I have had a few repairs done by Canon. Generally pretty good work. The lens that was attached to camera was also repaired but is back there for calibration as it was backfocusing (28/1.8 USM).

Cheers
Kev

Jun 03, 2005 at 06:38 AM
Elodie
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 10D users - rattle?

Hi, my brand new 20D rattles also. More so when the built in flash is closed than when open. The dealer told me that all the 20D's are like this, but w/ no explanation. I can only guess It has something to do w/ the built in flash mechanism. You might try this comparison w/ the 10D.

Jun 03, 2005 at 07:51 AM
JDennis

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 10D users - rattle?

My new Rebel XT is rattling like crazy as well. Anyone else experience this with their Rebel XT?

JDennis

Jun 03, 2005 at 09:43 AM
Kevin Yong
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 10D users - rattle?

Guys, read the thread. It's the orientation sensor....

I didn't mean for my worry to be so infetious. OK, everyone, stop shaking your cameras now and go and take some photos.

Kev

Jun 03, 2005 at 09:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password