New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

talexander
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

I know it's a bit off topic but as far as P&S's go, has anyone used the Pro1?

What were your impressions? (Outside of ISO 100+ sucking)

Tim

Mar 30, 2005 at 12:09 AM
jmardy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

I used one for an afternoon and thought it was OK except for that gawdawful shutter lag.
Pics looked typical of that range of P&S but I was shooting birthday party snapshots.

Mar 30, 2005 at 01:55 AM
Michael-M
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

i own one for the last year.........when i decided to sell ether the Pro1 or the D60 i kept the Pro1..........it is the first prosumer cam in it's class to deliver the fairly smooth images we are accustomed to seeing from the canon dslr's.
in other words it doesn't deliver the typical gritty image you see with a typical P&S
the camera does it all, and with the latest firware upgrade, shutter lag is a thing of the past.
exposures are spot on as are the colors..........the AWB is that good.

Mar 30, 2005 at 02:09 AM
petermendelson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

My ISO50 shots from the Pro1 look my 20D shots, except they are a bit more prone to blowing highlights (kind of like the 10D), so I dial down exposure compensation a bit sometimes. I love the small size and it;s well built. I also like the built-in ND filter and swiveling LCD, and the great zoom range. What I don't like so much is the shutter lag - it doesn't come remotely close to the 20D in that regard.

I wanted the best quality P&S I could find for when I wanted to travel light, and I think that is the Pro1 (it's not pocketable though).

I would always recommend getting a DSLR instead if that is the choice you are making, but if you definitely want a P&S I think it's a very good one (I have had the G3, S1, A80 and others). I bought it mainly for outdoor use - indoors I always use it with an external bounced flash and the results are great (although I usually use the 20D indoors).

Feel free to ask me any other questions.

Peter

Mar 30, 2005 at 02:11 AM
petermendelson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

By the way, I agree with Michael M that you don't get the gritty look like with most P&S cams (it is smooth like a DSLR). I shoot RAW.

I can't agree about the shutter lag, though. Even though it was improved with the updated firmware, it's still annoying compared to a DSLR (but comparable to many other p&s cams).

Peter

Mar 30, 2005 at 02:13 AM
crnama
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

I have one that I use at work and I hate the darn thing. Although the firmware did increase focus speed and accuracy I still am not happy with it. I also can't stand the noise I won't use it above ISO100 because the noise is just so bad. You could probably run it through noise ninja and clean it up but I have not tried.

Other than those things I do like the operation of the camera the zoom works nice and allows small incremental movements. It has a pretty good macro ability. The flash also seems to have decent amount of punch. And the swivelling LCD is nice. If I had to do it over again I would not buy one though. 8MP crammed onto that small sensor is just asking for noise.

Mar 30, 2005 at 03:28 AM
vonWerner
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

Here are examples of what was done with a Pro-1 by a relatively in-experienced photographer, with a good eye and a friend who is not bad with photoshop (me)...

The Falklands, South Georgia & Antarctic Peninsula

The long version: http://www.pbase.com/jeanmcc/southernocean

The short version: http://www.pbase.com/jeanmcc/antarctica

The one image version: http://www.pbase.com/jeanmcc/image/38720131

Mar 30, 2005 at 03:49 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

Nice galleries!

vonWerner wrote:
Here are examples of what was done with a Pro-1 by a relatively in-experienced photographer, with a good eye and a friend who is not bad with photoshop (me)...

The Falklands, South Georgia & Antarctic Peninsula

The long version: http://www.pbase.com/jeanmcc/southernocean

The short version: http://www.pbase.com/jeanmcc/antarctica

The one image version: http://www.pbase.com/jeanmcc/image/38720131

Mar 30, 2005 at 04:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

I picked up an S70 and just love it! Got a body glove neoprene case with a belt clip and it feels like having an additional cell phone when I'm carrying it. I carry it with me pretty much everywhere. Images are darn good. It is noisey at ISO400.

Mar 30, 2005 at 02:45 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

Here's a recent shot from the S70:

Mar 30, 2005 at 02:51 PM
Michael-M
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

rd4tile wrote:
I picked up an S70 and just love it! Got a body glove neoprene case with a belt clip and it feels like having an additional cell phone when I'm carrying it. I carry it with me pretty much everywhere. Images are darn good. It is noisey at ISO400.

were there some deleted posts here?
i thought we were discussing the Pro 1?

Mar 30, 2005 at 09:25 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

Sorry it had kind of a P&S discussion feel to it in the beginning. I looked at the pro1 but got the S70 because it takes the word compact to a new level. I'm obviously happy with it and wanted to share that experience. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Mar 31, 2005 at 03:32 AM
Michael-M
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

haha........no way, just razzin ya a bit..........i thought it was great that you posted the picture above (quite a good one at that).
it's threads like this that help us all find what we are looking for.
your shot actually made me a bit jealous...........

Mar 31, 2005 at 03:41 AM
talexander
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

Thanks for advice, anyone have any viewpoints on the AF speed change post firmware?

Tim

Mar 31, 2005 at 03:55 PM
Michael-M
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pro1: Anyone used it?

AF is quicker, freeze issue when set to continous AF (default) is no longer and issue. there is simply no freeze at all.
with AF set to single however, there is still a slight (and i mean slight) freeze in the LCD/VF, but will hardly compare to what it was before the firmware upgrade.
what i have found though is that in low low light and zoomed to 200mm, you will get a focus confirmation, but will at times be OOF.
this happens more so when set to continous.

Mar 31, 2005 at 08:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password