Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Yellowstone in early March?

nutek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yellowstone in early March?

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park sometime in early March (first week or so), but I read from the Nparks website that only the road joining the North entrance (Gardiner) to the North-East entrance (Cooke City) is open. Are there sufficient sights along this stretch of road, or what other alternative winter-travel destinations would you guys recommend? I'm looking more for a wintry-scene kind of photo trip, preferably with some wildlife thrown in

Thanks!
Wenyao

Feb 05, 2005 at 11:55 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yellowstone in early March?

bump? any advice would be much appreciated!

Feb 06, 2005 at 03:55 AM
stewks

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yellowstone in early March?

The other yellowstone roads are used in winter for snowcoach and snowmobile riders (4 stroke only). We did this a couple of years ago and had to navigate through herds of bison also using the road. Elk were common along side the road. The geysers and thermal springs are especially beautiful in the winter with the extra steam and ice, totally different look. The roads close for awhile to both vehicles and snow machines prior to spring, maybe in March so I would check before you count on it. I also understand the number of snow machines has been limitted in recent years so reservations are needed. Most of the traffic was between West Yellowstone and Old Faithful, beyond that we found few other winter visitors.

Feb 06, 2005 at 04:09 AM
jleom
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yellowstone in early March?

Hello

Here is the info concerning this years road openings. They don't get the roads plowed and opened until late April and early May. But as has been mentioned you can always enter via snow coach or snowmobile. I've heard this hasn't been a very good year for them so it might be easier to rent or make a reservation.

Good luck and have fun.

Leo
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/orientation/travel/roadopen.htm

Feb 06, 2005 at 04:59 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password