New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · P&S and and SLR?

aaronpass
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · P&S and and SLR?

How many people here have a P&S camera they take with them in addition to their SLR? Also would a S70 be a good choice or do you guys recommend something else?

Aaron

Jan 29, 2005 at 06:46 PM
Phil McNeil
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · P&S and and SLR?

The S70 is a really nice camera, I have one and am very, very happy with the image quality, but it is just a hair too big to be a true pocket camera. I also have a S410 that I carry with me all the time at work (I am a paramedic and it can be handy to have a way to grab quick shots of car wrecks, fires, etc.).

The S410 (and the other little Digital Elph models) does not have RAW file abilities, but the image quality is quite nice for "snap shot" uses. The SD Elph models use a SD card instead of CF and are really tiny.

I guess it all depends if you are looking for small, small or a little better quality and mid-size. I find that if I want small I want pocket size, if I want better quality I will schlep along a D300 with a 28mm or 50mm prime, for a protable that shoots RAW, but still a bunch easier then dragging out the 1D and my big backpack.

If I can find my S70 it will probably be for sale, just don't use it enough.

Jan 29, 2005 at 08:35 PM
kevin.chen
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · P&S and and SLR?

I have a S230. It's alright, but ever since I got my drebel, I haven't been using it. However, tonight, I'm going to a friend's birthday party so I'm bringing the lil ELPH. No way I'm carrying my drebel

Jan 29, 2005 at 10:30 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · P&S and and SLR?

me me me!
I struggled so long with not having a point and shoot, and after getting a Powershot G3 recently from a FM member here, I am enjoying my photography more again.
movie mode, pano mode, full auto, tilt-swivel screen, whee!

Jan 30, 2005 at 12:07 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · P&S and and SLR?

I partially agree with both sides of the S70. I have my 1Dmk2 with me on a trip to Spain. When i am at business meetings and diinner I would wear my S70 on my belt in a case... well today, while trying to go to the bathroom, the camera slipped off my belt into the toliet... (clean luckily) and i grabbed it but too late--- it is not working correctly. Nolne thless i am bummed. Bottom line, bigger an more bulkier but a good camera

Jan 30, 2005 at 12:24 AM
miles mute
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · P&S and and SLR?

I take a G5 everywhere. It might not be a pocket sized camera but it fits easily in my bag and compared to lugging my 20d around everytime I go outside it's perfect. The swing out screen lets you get lots of interesting shots you might not have captured otherwise.

If you can pick up a secondhand G5 or even better G3 you'll be laughing.

Jan 30, 2005 at 12:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · P&S and and SLR?

I take my S70 with me everywhere when I can't lug the dSLR, and it especially comes in handy at work while flying. The images are a bit better quality (resolution-wise) than my G2, and except for the somewhat chronic (though not major) CA issues, it's a great little camera.

Edited by Jeff on Jan 29, 2005 at 08:54 PM GMT (Reason: clarified quality statment)

Jan 30, 2005 at 01:05 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · P&S and and SLR?

I also prefer the Canon G series cameras. The extra size and weight are not a problem, but may be for some. The S series cameras would be my second choice.

Jan 30, 2005 at 01:08 AM
aaronpass
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · P&S and and SLR?

Thanks everyone.

Jan 30, 2005 at 08:09 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · P&S and and SLR?

Locally I don't take along a P&S, but travelling I always take my Pro 1. It's not pocket sized, but makes excellent images. So good in fact that I don't always feel I have to lug the big stuff to get good images, 8MP RAW too.

My girlfriend always has her G5, so that's a backup as well.

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:28 AM
andy1100xx
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · P&S and and SLR?

I have an 'old' S40 (same casing as the S70) and love it to bits. I do carry it in my bag along with my drebel, especially when travelling as it's ideal for situations when an SLR is not appropriate.

It's more belt than pocket but I find the quality is excellent for what it is and it is built like a tank - the case is bent and buckled from the number of times I've dropped ( ) it but it still works perfectly.

Definately a good addition IMHO.

AndyD

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:42 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password