FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Connections...please critique

wjblock13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Connections...please critique

This is taken in Reykjavik, Iceland. This sculpture has always been interesting to me. In fact, for such a small population, I think it's around 275,000 about half of which live in Reykjavik, this country has so much art in its culture you see it everywhere. The top of every hill has some type of scultpure there, and I like most of the ones I've seen. Very modern typically. Anyway here's the shot. Please feel free to critique as I'm always looking for ways to improve.

I called it connections because Iceland was founded from the sea, lives on the sea, the viking ship connects the past, the metal of the scuplture seems to connect the present and the future.

Cheres,

Will

Dec 10, 2004 at 01:25 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Connections...please critique

I'm sure it's a very beautiful structure, but is there a reason why you used black and white? I would have liked to see what is the color of the structure.

Also, the picture looks a little bottom heavy - there is too close of a crop of the main subject and the subject thus looks a little over dominant in the picture. Becase of the assymetry of the angle at which you took the picture, the picture also looks too heavy to the left, and does not appear balanced. Center-positioned subjects *should* (feel free to disagree ) always maintain a "balance" in the picture, otherwise the center-positioning effect is lost and the picture looks "unsettled". Try changing your angle to see if you can get a more symmetric angle, or try changing your perspective so that it does not appear like a standard heads-on shot, or try using a wide-angle lens to give more breathing room to the structure.

Cheers!
Wenyao

Dec 10, 2004 at 03:56 PM
wjblock13
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Connections...please critique

nutek wrote:
I'm sure it's a very beautiful structure, but is there a reason why you used black and white? I would have liked to see what is the color of the structure.

Also, the picture looks a little bottom heavy - there is too close of a crop of the main subject and the subject thus looks a little over dominant in the picture. Becase of the assymetry of the angle at which you took the picture, the picture also looks too heavy to the left, and does not appear balanced. Center-positioned subjects *should* (feel free to disagree ) always maintain a
...Show more

Great feedback, thanks! The structure is stainless steel or something comparable. I chose black and white because the rest of the scene was pretty much monochromatic anyway. I agree with you that the weight and balance issues can be improved. Bad news is I won't get to shoot this again until I get to Iceland again. Good news is I guess I have to go back to Iceland

Cheers,

Will

Dec 10, 2004 at 04:48 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password