FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · The STF Images Thread

Jannik Peters
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The STF Images Thread

Hi Folks,

I'm not sure why the original Sony 135 STF is not popular here. In my opinion, it's one of the most unique lenses that you can buy for money and a dedicated image thread could show this uniqueness.

Apart from the crazy great Bokeh, it is an excellent lens - very sharp, zero vignetting, gentle colors. The biggest weakness that I've found is some purple fringing in bright light.

Since there are rumors about a new STF lens, this could help to make your mouthes water

Other STF lenses (I know only the Laowa) are of course welcome too.

Please feel free to contribute!

So let's start with some poppy and cornflowers here:

View previous versions

Oct 09, 2016 at 06:41 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The STF Images Thread

Some People:

Oct 09, 2016 at 06:49 AM
mogul
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The STF Images Thread

I like your examples...I do have a suggestion that this thread should be in the alt. forum (it automatically gets posted to this forum). Fuji also has a stf. It is probably my favorite lens. I am contemplating the Loawa (not sure if it is A mount yet) Sony is supposed to be bringing out a AF version though not a 135.

Oct 09, 2016 at 11:03 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The STF Images Thread

Fuji's is sort of an STF. I love the Minolta/Sony STF look. The Fuji's APD only issue for me is the lack of adjustment on it. The STF's adjustability make it amazing.

Also, while I understand your point, it is hard to put a native lens in the alt forum. I can envisage some pushback.

Oct 09, 2016 at 11:39 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The STF Images Thread

Great images!

For anyone curious about this lens, here are some great resources and reviews:

http://www.dyxum.com/columns/articles/lenses/SAL-135F28/Sony-AF-135-STF-SAL-135F28_review.asp

http://the135stf.net/index.html

Oct 09, 2016 at 11:41 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The STF Images Thread

X-Post fromvthe FE images thread.

Jan 31, 2017 at 04:29 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The STF Images Thread

Jannik Peters wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm not sure why the original Sony 135 STF is not popular here. In my opinion, it's one of the most unique lenses that you can buy for money and a dedicated image thread could show this uniqueness.

Apart from the crazy great Bokeh, it is an excellent lens - very sharp, zero vignetting, gentle colors. The biggest weakness that I've found is some purple fringing in bright light.

Since there are rumors about a new STF lens, this could help to make your mouthes water

Other STF lenses (I know only the Laowa) are of course welcome
...Show more

Here's my fantasy: they bring out a 2/135 GM with an electronically controlled APD element that can be turned off and on the way some ND filters work.

Jan 31, 2017 at 04:43 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The STF Images Thread

I like different bokeh styles, so I love to own some apodization lenses too :-)
At the moment I only own homemade apodization lenses, for example here a Helios 44 58mm f/2 with homemade apodization film filter:

Regentropfen / Raindrops by Markus, auf Flickr

Löwenzahn by Markus, auf Flickr

Sommer / Summer by Markus, auf Flickr

Feb 03, 2017 at 07:12 PM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The STF Images Thread

I think that this thread will grow a little faster in the near future

Feb 08, 2017 at 02:37 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The STF Images Thread

I just looked up the 135mm STF and the cheapest one I found was $830 plus shipping (eBay). For that kind of money wouldn't it wiser to just bite the bullet on the new 100 FE?

Feb 08, 2017 at 03:34 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The STF Images Thread

Anyone tried an apodizing filter? Front end or in a filter drawer?

Feb 08, 2017 at 04:59 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The STF Images Thread

Etherton wrote:
I just looked up the 135mm STF and the cheapest one I found was $830 plus shipping (eBay). For that kind of money wouldn't it wiser to just bite the bullet on the new 100 FE?

$830 is almost half of what the 135mm STF costs. That's a significant difference in price.

If you want a native lens and/or 100mm more than an adapted 135mm lens, get the new 100mm STF. Beyond that, I don't see why it'd be wise to get the new 100mm STF instead of the 135mm.

If you just want us to justify your GAS, then sure, it would be like 64% wiser to get the new 100mm STF. :P

Feb 08, 2017 at 05:03 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The STF Images Thread

arduluth wrote:
If you just want us to justify your GAS, then sure, it would be like 64% wiser to get the new 100mm STF. :P

Saving my next round of GAS for the 16-35 GM. I feel it's going to be something bad too!

Feb 08, 2017 at 05:42 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The STF Images Thread

notherenow wrote:
Anyone tried an apodizing filter? Front end or in a filter drawer?

Yes I made some DIY apodizing filters and implemented those in the lenses.
Near or at the iris position is a good place for the filter. On tele lenses it could probably be used at the front filter with near the same result.
On a retrofocs wideangle lenses a front apodization filter would give you vignetting in the image itself, not on the bokeh..

Feb 09, 2017 at 06:33 AM
artmaseda
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The STF Images Thread

Excellent idea Jannik, 135 STF is one of its kind, and I'm pretty sure the new GM will be in the same boat.
I own the 135 STF since 2010 and I considered the best portrait lens (I also own the Zeiss 135 1.8) for his character until the 85 GM came out, the only down side of the 135 STF was the lack of AF, but with A99 and now the A7 series is just so easy to aim focus with focus peaking and focus magnification.
As I already own 85GM, 90G Macro and the 135STF, I'm not so sure to buy the 100GM. I'll be holding for a couple of months after release and read all real world reviews and side by side pictures with the 135 to take a decision.

Feb 09, 2017 at 07:13 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The STF Images Thread

Some more STF stuff. I own it beside a 85GM too. In terms of smoothness, the 85mm can never reach the STF, but it surpasses it in terms of max amount of blur. But really, no lens has a clean background like the Sony/Minolta STF (new and old). The 135mm is tack sharp wide open.

Feb 09, 2017 at 10:23 AM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The STF Images Thread

Jannik Peters wrote:
Some more STF stuff. I own it beside a 85GM too. In terms of smoothness, the 85mm can never reach the STF, but it surpasses it in terms of max amount of blur. But really, no lens has a clean background like the Sony/Minolta STF (new and old). The 135mm is tack sharp wide open.

What adapter do you use? Thanks.

Feb 09, 2017 at 10:56 AM
Jannik Peters
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The STF Images Thread

I use the LA-EA3.. No light loss and EXIF make this the best option for the 135STF.

Feb 09, 2017 at 10:58 AM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The STF Images Thread

Jannik Peters wrote:
I use the LA-EA3.. No light loss and EXIF make this the best option for the 135STF.

Thanks Jannik.

Feb 09, 2017 at 11:00 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The STF Images Thread

ZoneV wrote:
Yes I made some DIY apodizing filters and implemented those in the lenses.
Near or at the iris position is a good place for the filter. On tele lenses it could probably be used at the front filter with near the same result.
On a retrofocs wideangle lenses a front apodization filter would give you vignetting in the image itself, not on the bokeh..

Thanks.

I didn't think front filters would work that well but I was thinking maybe a lens like my old 300 2.8 Tamron adaptall with rear filter drawer might work.

The lens is already a nice enough portrait lens but one of these might make it better still.

I would not make one myself but have to buy one and from my limited search, they might be pretty pricey and especially since the ones I found are not made in the size of my lens filter drawer so would need to be custom made.

Feb 09, 2017 at 02:19 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.