Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

For you Canon folks that were all excited about the potential of this new tech...

Sep 07, 2016 at 02:20 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

1) Not surprising at all.

2) Dude really looks like a doctor. Not sure why, maybe the hair.

Sep 07, 2016 at 03:20 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

I don't know of anyone who was excited about this. None of the samples have shown anything revolutionary.

Sep 07, 2016 at 03:28 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

#calledit

Sep 07, 2016 at 04:02 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

LeeSimms wrote:
I don't know of anyone who was excited about this. None of the samples have shown anything revolutionary.

I saw several people on FB all excited about this feature like they'd never miss perfect focus again thanks to it. I didn't think that was too likely so I'm not surprised, and honestly I'm not sure why they even bothered with it because the effect is so subtle as to be rendered pointless.

Sep 07, 2016 at 04:35 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

And this is in the wedding forum....because?

Sep 07, 2016 at 04:41 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

ZachOly wrote:

So you can make a post asking who's ordering a Mark IV, but someone else can't post about one of the features of a Mark IV not being as good as some people thought it might be, thus influencing their decision to purchase a mark IV?

Sounds like he just touched a nerve.

Sep 07, 2016 at 04:50 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

JHerr wrote:
So you can make a post asking who's ordering a Mark IV, but someone else can't post about one of the features of a Mark IV not being as good as some people thought it might be, thus influencing their decision to purchase a mark IV?

Sounds like he just touched a nerve.

He shoots Nikon and probably has no intention of buying the Canon 5D4

Big difference between the camera overall (basically the de facto standard for wedding pros who shoot Canon) and some random feature no one really cares about.

Sep 07, 2016 at 04:57 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

ZachOly wrote:
...and some random feature no one really cares about.

But this was exactly the thing that most people were raving about. It was not the more megapixels or 4K or GPS/WIFI and the other things. This was the game changer that people were looking for in an otherwise (from what we can see thus far) boring upgrade to a great camera.

Sep 07, 2016 at 05:22 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

ZachOly wrote:

Are you just a gigantic hypocrite, or are you literally unable to see the irony in you asking this?

Sep 07, 2016 at 05:29 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

Anti-flicker tech, useless! I only shoot outside!

Sep 07, 2016 at 05:36 PM
Depth of Feel
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

ZachOly wrote:

He mentions wedding photographers in the video.

Sep 07, 2016 at 06:31 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

ZachOly wrote:
Anti-flicker tech, useless! I only shoot outside!

I was addressing the one specific feature everyone seemed so amped up about... Sorry if you're emotionally invested in Canon in some way, but if you know how to read you'll see that I only posted about that one particular feature. I didn't post it to be Anti-Canon, I posted it because it's funny how people get so easily hyped up about features they assume will be earth-shattering when really it's just a crappy marketing bullet point.

Canon does have some nice things Nikon doesn't have, like the double-exposure mode, better video, bigger selection of lenses, wireless speedlight system that isn't limited to just the latest bodies...

Sep 07, 2016 at 07:19 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

so far the 5DmkII & III where hammered along with the IV prior to release because canon is not stepping way out there.

The 5DmkII set the world on fire and started the DLSR video craze... besides being a corner stone to wedding shooters.
the 5DmkIII has been a staple for the wedding industry. The last year or 2 the D750/810 + mirror less have been making inroads. More nikon than mirrorless.

the 5dmkIV will go on to be a staple for the wedding industry. Video is shaky ground though.

I would look at what mom's who want to shoot weddings or recently married ladies go and purchase.
it would be canon or nikon stuff.

Competent shooters but not techies .... will stay with nikon or canon because of the system.

The 5DmkIV will be a very solid camera..... This is pre-use conjecture on my part. Will know more in a month or so.

The end of the day... they are all just tools for the job.

So choose your weapon of choice ... wisely.

-Mark

Sep 07, 2016 at 07:37 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

I may shoot Nikon, but I am looking at the 5d4 because I miss some things about Canon.

Sep 07, 2016 at 08:18 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

Ziffl3 wrote:
so far the 5DmkII & III where hammered along with the IV prior to release because canon is not stepping way out there.

Really? I don't remember that. All I remember is most of us foaming at the mouth for the 5d3 and preordering like crazy

Sep 07, 2016 at 08:31 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

I'm not really surprised, the sensor would have to actually move and significantly to allow any kind of meaningful change.

I'm not sure why they didn't just implement the impressive pentax super resolution pixel shift which would have been actually useful (but not to wedding photographers!)

Sep 08, 2016 at 01:06 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

The whole Dual Pixel bokeh shift and focus point seems to be some engineer's accident while designing the camera. They found something odd, presented their findings and someone decided to include it as a feature and are marketing it as something revolutionary.

There is no way anyone from Canon with a straight face can say this feature was designed this way and intended to perform. It simply doesn't. Tests would have proved it. I'm really hoping it's because the software isn't up to snuff and is something that can be addressed.

Sep 08, 2016 at 02:11 PM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

Yeah, this never even crossed my mind when considering if I was going to pre-order or not.

Sep 08, 2016 at 02:32 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Dual Pixel RAW: Basically Useless

Jeff Simpson wrote:
Yeah, this never even crossed my mind when considering if I was going to pre-order or not.

I always took this as an added bonus. Thinking I would shoot dual pixel raw for studio portraits because it's more controlled and I can adjust later. Looks like it's totally useless.

Sep 08, 2016 at 02:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.