FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

sgilbert1967
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

Hey all,
Just wanted to let you know that after weeks of using my 7dm2 to shoot baseball, Soccer, and other competitions....with ZERO lock ups in fact Sunday before last I shot from 7:30 am till 7 that evening...shooting north of 10k clicks last few weeks...ZERO lockups, I decided to update the firmware since I do have the 70-200II ( even though my 300 2.8 is usually on there )....Camera locked up twice shooting one game, I was looking through view finder turned away looked back through and had no info like it was shut off...the second time it was resuming from sleep....I have little doubt its the firmware...It also changed my MFA adjustments, and god help me I couldnt get it to repeat even my quick and dirty adjustments ( easy to do with a 300 2.8 and white lines on the ground at 45 degrees ) to MFA...it was perfect at +7 before ( and I routinely spot check each game )...it was closer to +4 after ( didnt realize this till I started reviewing some shots) then as I spot checked throughout the game I kept having to move it ( while not on a tripod with a release its a monopod and I use OS..I can shoot against objects to set the correct DOF vs object shot which is more important to me than sharpness on a chart..I do this all the time and its more repeatable than you think...Tomorrow I am going to do a factory reset and start over just to make sure...Proceed with caution...anyone have a link to the 1.02 firmware so I can put it back on there?

Thanks

May 14, 2015 at 10:48 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

Mine also locked up yesterday for the first time ever after installing 1.04. I had used it all morning for 1500 clicks and no issues. In the afternoon I was only using it occasionally and had it just lying on my bag for a while while I shot my 1DX. I picked it up and it was non-responsive except for the top screen but no menus worked on the rear LCD and it wouldn't control the lens. I had to remove my battery to get it working again.

I hadn't noticed any MFA issues but I will have a look now that you mentioned it.

May 14, 2015 at 10:52 PM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

Just out of curiosity: Did you power down (off) the camera after the FW upgrade?

IIRC: other cameras power down after the upgrade which the 7D2 did not do

Maybe I am just confused

May 14, 2015 at 11:28 PM
sgilbert1967
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

arbitrage wrote:
Mine also locked up yesterday for the first time ever after installing 1.04. I had used it all morning for 1500 clicks and no issues. In the afternoon I was only using it occasionally and had it just lying on my bag for a while while I shot my 1DX. I picked it up and it was non-responsive except for the top screen but no menus worked on the rear LCD and it wouldn't control the lens. I had to remove my battery to get it working again.

I hadn't noticed any MFA issues but I will have a look
...Show more

I had the 7dm2 hung on the 300 2.8 on a monopod which is my primary load out...funny you mention that, because the 2nd time I had it sitting there while I used the 5dm3 with the 70-200II on it and when I came back to the 7Dm2 it was locked up as you mention...and guys ive used this camera for HOURS and HOURS and probably 20k clicks...there is ZERO doubt in my mind the only variable is the firmware.....

everything else may be subjective ....

May 14, 2015 at 11:34 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

sgilbert1967 wrote:
Hey all,
Just wanted to let you know that after weeks of using my 7dm2 to shoot baseball, Soccer, and other competitions....with ZERO lock ups in fact Sunday before last I shot from 7:30 am till 7 that evening...shooting north of 10k clicks last few weeks...ZERO lockups, I decided to update the firmware since I do have the 70-200II ( even though my 300 2.8 is usually on there )....Camera locked up twice shooting one game, I was looking through view finder turned away looked back through and had no info like it was shut off...the second time it was
...Show more

Sgilbert,
Just curious, when you found you had to keep adjusting mfa, was it at different distances? . I just ma'am my 70-200f2.8ii +1.4xiii and thought I Noticed a much higher sensitivity to distance while keeping it at 280mm. (by the way, totally agree mfa can be adjusted/decently seen in the field.) I also experienced another weird phenomenon, I was using dot tune, after live view focus and then turning to manual focus and live view off, I would look thru Vf and it would be totally oof. Made sure to not have touched zoom or focus ring, strange huh? Other time it's was fine.

Edited on May 15, 2015 at 06:52 AM · View previous versions

May 14, 2015 at 11:43 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

I was going to load it in the morning. Maybe I better wait . Thanks for sharing.

May 14, 2015 at 11:46 PM
sgilbert1967
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

Now that you mention it , was different distances at first....then I kept trying to test the same line....
I'm not saying don't install it just cautioning, MFA and AF may be subjective but I completely feel the lock ups are directly related...

In the morning I'll try a complete reset and go from there....does anyone know if Canon will give me 1.02 back...

May 14, 2015 at 11:52 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

riokid wrote:
Just out of curiosity: Did you power down (off) the camera after the FW upgrade?

Maybe I am just confused

I powered off and then pulled out the battery as instructed for a few seconds after the FW was complete.

May 14, 2015 at 11:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

riokid wrote:

Maybe I am just confused

After FW update power camera off, and then take battery out for at least 10s, I prefer 30s to be safe.

May 14, 2015 at 11:56 PM
sgilbert1967
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

I did not pull battery after update...

arbitrage wrote:
I powered off and then pulled out the battery as instructed for a few seconds after the FW was complete.

May 14, 2015 at 11:57 PM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

Nor did I and mine did work noticeably better on my 70-200 ii at a track meet last night. It had been having trouble tracking sprinters coming directly towards me and long jumpers coming right at me. No misses last night that weren't obviously operator error and no hang-ups.

sgilbert1967 wrote:

May 15, 2015 at 05:58 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

I've shot 2500 clicks since the firmware update, not a single lock up.

May 15, 2015 at 06:38 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

sgilbert1967 wrote:

Mine came with 1.0.4. Lockup just happened. I'll be shooting tomorrow and report back.

May 15, 2015 at 06:55 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

JVthePT wrote:
Nor did I and mine did work noticeably better on my 70-200 ii at a track meet last night. It had been having trouble tracking sprinters coming directly towards me and long jumpers coming right at me. No misses last night that weren't obviously operator error and no hang-ups.

Jvthept,
Can you please share with me your three case subsetting values, first/second priority, and which Af mode (single, expanded etc)? I too had trouble with oncoming basketball players last weekend. (24-70 f2.8 ii) I think it did better with +1 for all 3 values with single and spot focus;prioirites set to focus. Tia.

May 15, 2015 at 06:59 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

Canon used to recommend a camera reset after new firmware. I still think its a good idea. There are millions of potential combinations of settings, and some of those may cause issues after a firmware upgrade.

I'd do a reset, remove and reinstall battery, and see if it still happens.

May 15, 2015 at 08:45 AM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

I used Case 1 with tracking at -1, focus priority. No other changes.
I used spot focus, single expanded to surrounding, and all active with manual selection of starting AF point. All gave acceptable results.
Seems quite a bit better.

gschlact wrote:
Jvthept,
Can you please share with me your three case subsetting values, first/second priority, and which Af mode (single, expanded etc)? I too had trouble with oncoming basketball players last weekend. (24-70 f2.8 ii) I think it did better with +1 for all 3 values with single and spot focus;prioirites set to focus. Tia.

May 15, 2015 at 08:46 AM
sgilbert1967
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

OK guys, so this morning I cleared all settings...then loaded the US version of the firmware ( vs the ASIAN one )...then I powered down and removed the batteries ( gripped ) for several minutes and refired.....Doing some testing in the yard with my lab...leaving the camera on letting it go to sleep and waking later ect.... so far no lock ups but honestly its not nearly the same load as my tournament settings....

Ill say this though most of my lenses ended up MFA +2-+7 before including the 70-200II...but the focus chart so far so the 70-200 has shifted from +3 to -3 ( none of my lenses were ANY minus before the update with the exception of the wide end of the 24-70 VC Tamron at -2....In addition in the field my 300 2.8 at +7 and quick and dirty its look like plus 3-4...something has shifted the AF module electronically...I am not sure if its even possible but its what im seeing...and its across multiple lenses that I shoot and spot check routinely....

High subjective buy my 70-200 seems LIGHTNING FAST to AF now...ZERO indecision ( I refer to this and SURE focusing if not accurate the camera moves it and it THINKS its done instantly )...

Time will tell, I was supposed to shoot a tourny today but not going to make it, and tomorrow I got event photography so not apples to apples...I promise to update on the very next game I shoot...In fact I may try to find someones practice to shoot or something Sunday....

Ill say this im wishing I had never touched it...and had there not been the specific wording for my work horse lens I wouldnt have ( 70-200II )

May 15, 2015 at 11:31 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

sgilbert1967,

From your observations, it appears that Canon has "modified" the AF algorithm.

I do not have a basis for comparison as the body that I have updated was as default 0/0 with both my 100~400 II and 500/4L II.

My shots seems to focus better (sharper) during my test but it could have been attributed to: less haze, better lighting and tripod use

I taken about 2,000 frames after the upgrade and no lockup for me, so I guess I will just keep on shooting

dan

May 15, 2015 at 11:42 AM
zaakir1977

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

The original 7D had issues at launch as well. Not good im on the market for a 7DII

May 15, 2015 at 11:12 PM
diverhank
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Word of Caution on the 1.04 Firmware for 7D Mark II

Did 500 shots today with the new firmware. No lockup but I noticed no difference - my 7D2 did not have any problems then and none now.

May 16, 2015 at 12:26 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.