Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
  

Sony a7/a7r lens adapters
  
 
grahamb3
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


I'd like to see some anecdotal reports from the various adapters being used on NEX (now alpha) E mount bodies, especially, the new full frames a7/a7r. I hope photographers migrating to or augmenting their current system camera with the Sony a7/a7r will use this thread as a resource.

I plan initially to go with a Sony LA-EA3 to use with the good selection of alpha mount primes I possess for the a7r I have on order. As one can see from the link, this adapter only auto-focuses with lenses with on-board motors, but will provide lens diaphragm support for all "a" mount lenses. Sony also has the LA-EA4, that offers autofocus for all alpha mount lenses, including "screw drive" lenses.

I intend to acquire a collection of "m" mount lenses in the near future. The "fast" series from Voigtlander look interesting (21 f/1.8, 35 f/1.2, 50 f/1.1, 75 f/1.8). There are several "m" to "e" mount (or NEX) adapters available. The Metabones "speedbooster", will of course be of no use on the full frame a7's. This adapter from
Hawk's Factory would seem to offer a solution to the long minimum focus distance prevalent in RF lenses.

Please post the adapter solutions that work for your system lenses and NEX/alpha 7 body.

Graham



Oct 19, 2013 at 02:02 AM
dbehrens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


I already have a collection of mostly SLR alts and am a little confused with E-mount and E-mount Full Frame. Does the typical SLR lens to E-mount adapter originally designed for the Nex work for the A7/A7R?

Dave



Oct 20, 2013 at 01:12 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


I'll need an electronic interface to control aperture on my TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II, if I go the A7R route.


Oct 20, 2013 at 01:20 PM
dbehrens
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


jcolwell wrote:
I'll need an electronic interface to control aperture on my TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II, if I go the A7R route.


Yes - good point for lens such as my ZE's. However, I'm guessing that for my older non-electronic MF lens all I need is a Nex adaptor.



Oct 20, 2013 at 01:33 PM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


jcolwell wrote:
I'll need an electronic interface to control aperture on my TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II, if I go the A7R route.


I kinda forgot about that ... yup, no physical aperture on mine either.



Oct 20, 2013 at 03:40 PM
f.hayek
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


dbehrens wrote:
I already have a collection of mostly SLR alts and am a little confused with E-mount and E-mount Full Frame. Does the typical SLR lens to E-mount adapter originally designed for the Nex work for the A7/A7R?

Dave


According to the Metabones NEX page, at the very top, the simple E adapters are compatible with the A7, while the Speedboost version, obviously is not. Canon users are out of luck, at least for the moment.The Voigtländer adapters ought to be likewise compatible but verification is needed. I plan to contact Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest to confirm.



Oct 20, 2013 at 03:54 PM
michaelwatkins
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


dbehrens wrote:
I already have a collection of mostly SLR alts and am a little confused with E-mount and E-mount Full Frame. Does the typical SLR lens to E-mount adapter originally designed for the Nex work for the A7/A7R?


Yes!



Oct 20, 2013 at 04:17 PM
artur5
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


As a matter of fact, the Speed Boosters/Lens Turbos will work as well with the FF E-mount cameras. Obviously, like any APS-C E mount lens, you'll get an APS-C cropped image of the FF sensor, but the lens speed gain is the same as in E-mount cameras.
I.e, with a 50/1.4mm. FF lens + Speed Booster on a Sony A7(r) we have a 35/1.0 APS-C lens and the Mpixel count goes from 24 to 10 (A7) or from 36 to 15 (A7r)



Oct 20, 2013 at 05:33 PM
grahamb3
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


"I'll need an electronic interface to control aperture on my TS-E 17/4L and 24/3.5L II, if I go the A7R route."

The metabones apparently works (referred to as "megabones" in the blog ).

Sony A7r review for architectural photographers

Graham



Oct 24, 2013 at 01:37 AM
lostinjapan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


I had an A7r on preorder and canceled it for this reason. Too many reports of adapters not working properly. Unlike a Leica, being a Sony by January these cameras will be everywhere and there will be enough reviews out there to see how well the actually work both with and without adapters. Right now it is a rather split 50/50 hearing they either work or don't.

I would give it a couple of months until reviews come in from productions cameras and more of the Metabones(Megabones has a nice ring to it though) adapters have been really checked out more carefully. My 5D3 and 5D2 work very very well and I would rather wait and be careful than rushing into a system that is as of now not really tested properly and wasting a couple of thousand bucks.

My two cents.

Ryan



Oct 24, 2013 at 04:13 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



grahamb3
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


lostinjapan wrote:
I had an A7r on preorder and canceled it for this reason. Too many reports of adapters not working properly. Unlike a Leica, being a Sony by January these cameras will be everywhere and there will be enough reviews out there to see how well the actually work both with and without adapters. Right now it is a rather split 50/50 hearing they either work or don't.

I would give it a couple of months until reviews come in from productions cameras and more of the Metabones(Megabones has a nice ring to it though) adapters have been really checked out
...Show more

The Metabones speedbooster won't "work" on the a a7(r), simply because of design. It's designed to compress the light output from a full-frame lens onto a smaller (aps/m43) sensor, which the a7's don't feature. Using the speedbooster with a full frame sensor will result in cropped image.

Metabones also offers a "smart" (autofocus) regular Canon EF (along with many other mounts) to E mount adapter, which should work well. I note that Metabones is now producing version 3 of it's "smart" adapter. The author of the blog on architectural photography I linked in this thread didn't specify what version he was using.

Other than this, I'm not aware of any adapter failing because of design. There may well be adapters that don't perform optimally because of execution (the quality control in manufacture is lacking), but there's no reason to think that's widespread.

A prime reason I wanted to establish this thread is to gather empirical reports of what works (and doesn't) with the new Sony a7's. Opinions without anecdotes won't further this goal.

Graham



Oct 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM
EOS20
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


Voigtlander creates VM-E Close Focus adapter for Sony cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/24/voigtlander-creates-vm-e-close-focus-adapter-for-sony-cameras?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0




Oct 24, 2013 at 01:10 PM
grahamb3
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


The Voigtlander VM-E looks to be very similar to the Hawk's Factory (and the ebay listing)

Although the Hawk's Factory unit elicits positive reviews, I will probably go for the more expensive Voigtlander adapter.



Oct 24, 2013 at 02:33 PM
artur5
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


grahamb3 wrote:
The Metabones speedbooster won't "work" on the a a7(r), simply because of design. It's designed to compress the light output from a full-frame lens onto a smaller (aps/m43) sensor, which the a7's don't feature. Using the speedbooster with a full frame sensor will result in cropped image.
Graham

Right, but you still get one stop gain of lens speed. Sometimes that might be useful. Agreed, it would be silly to buy a Speed Booster with the purpose of use it on the A7(r) but, if you own it already, it could be fun to give it a try, considering that the resale value of Speed Boosters/Turbo lenses will drop quite a bit now that there're FF 'E' mount cameras..



Oct 24, 2013 at 02:38 PM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


f.hayek wrote:
According to the Metabones NEX page, at the very top, the simple E adapters are compatible with the A7, while the Speedboost version, obviously is not. Canon users are out of luck, at least for the moment.The Voigtländer adapters ought to be likewise compatible but verification is needed. I plan to contact Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest to confirm.


However, Canon users can use the Smart Adapter version III which is compativle with NEX-FF and also allows some lenses to autofocus. I just picked one up in anticipation of the a7R.



Oct 24, 2013 at 02:49 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


EOS20 wrote:
Voigtlander creates VM-E Close Focus adapter for Sony cameras:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/24/voigtlander-creates-vm-e-close-focus-adapter-for-sony-cameras?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_0



ooooh, is that a rokkor style knurled metal focus ring on the voigtlander adapter? i like that.




Oct 24, 2013 at 04:24 PM
mcbroomf
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


I wondered if the TSE lenses would work well shifted with the Mk3 Smart Adapter from Metabones so I emailed them asking if they had or could generate a ray diagram. They were non-committal saying that they had not been tested.

Although Brian Caldwell designed the Speedbooster not the Smart Adapter I thought he might have some insight so I emailed him as well and he believes that the issue will be mechanical blocking from the narrow throat of the e-mount 1st rather than the adapter.

"It seems to me that the E-mount is a really poor choice for a full-frame mirrorless due to the extremely small throat diameter. Whether this has a visible vignetting impact on lenses with large exit pupil distances and shift lenses remains to be seen. I think you might see some abrupt corner falloff with the 17/24 shifted to their maximum values, especially if you shift along the short side of the frame. I don't think the Metabones glassless adapter would have any impact on this - its just inherent in the geometry of the E-mount.

However, we won't know for sure until somebody does an actual test."

Mike



Oct 24, 2013 at 04:26 PM
twoeye
Online
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


This guy has tested the 17&24mm TS-E lenses on the A7r with the Metabones Smart adapter:

"The 17mm TSE did have noticeable vingetting when fully shifted up or down, but this is to be expected with this lens on a full frame body. Apart from that the lens / body combo appeared to work very well together."



Oct 24, 2013 at 04:34 PM
agentbird
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


I have a Canon 50mm f/0.95 which I only use on my Canon 7 rangefinder. Do any of you have any tips on adapters for the Sony A7r? I obviously won't need any electrical contacts


Oct 24, 2013 at 04:40 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Sony a7/a7r lens adapters


agentbird wrote:
I have a Canon 50mm f/0.95 which I only use on my Canon 7 rangefinder. Do any of you have any tips on adapters for the Sony A7r? I obviously won't need any electrical contacts


is it m39 mount? i seem to remember their being something funny about the mount on that lens. if is, any standard m39 to NEX adapter should work.




Oct 24, 2013 at 04:45 PM
1
       2       3       4       5       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       4       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password