New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

Wacom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

The 10d askes that you photograph a white card and go to menu custom WB and select that image. Now I have a idea.. The white target is not always the same density from side to side or the middle measues hotter than the sides.. I wanted to open the image in photoshop and make it
say 200,200,200 buy filling the image. But when I save it back to the chip, and put it in the camera I get "invalaid JPEG format", because I must of changed the image tag..
My question is how can I modify the image without corrupting the image tag.. Why am I doing this?
I belive this is the best way to change the color of the final image .. Thru Photoshop you could "Tweak" the image to obtain the maximum image quality..(I don't want to go the "Raw" way.. Too time consumming)

Jul 09, 2004 at 12:45 PM
jeffshoaf
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

I believe this would defeat the purpose of the custom WB. You need to take the "sample" of the white card in the same lighting conditions that you'll be taking your actual photos.

Jul 09, 2004 at 12:52 PM
Wacom
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

Jeff,
I know that.. But I feel if you could modify the target..(mine always has a green tinge and so does the images) I could obtain a better result from the camera which means less tweaking in PS

Jul 09, 2004 at 01:06 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

I don't understand... You're basically trying to tell the camera that 200/200/200 is white. But the camera knows it already! What camera doesn't know is how it would deviate from 200/200/200 under the real light. Or there is something I'm missing?

Jul 09, 2004 at 01:15 PM
MarkSaperstein
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

Wacom,
I don't see how your scheme would help your white balance issue. As others have noted, you have to let the camera figure it out under the actual lighting conditions. Or, if you are picky about image color, shoot RAW.
--Mark

Jul 09, 2004 at 01:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wacom
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

Guys,
I use my custom WB when I shoot flash... Not outdoors...
My question is can I modify a file in PS , save it and still have the camera recognise it.?

Jul 09, 2004 at 02:06 PM
jeffshoaf
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

Wacom wrote:
My question is can I modify a file in PS , save it and still have the camera recognise it.?

I guess our cummaltive answer is that none of us have ever tried it since we don't see the use of it. I've not had any white balance issues since I switched to raw - but now I have a lack of enough CF issues!

Jul 09, 2004 at 04:37 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

PS strips away the Canon-specific EXIF information which *may* be needed to identify the image in a the camera. Shoot something in RAW, download that file. Do your 200/200/200 edit on the downloaded and converted to JPG file (though I don't understand what you are trying to do with that to help u with ur white balance issues). Save this JPG as the same filename and use the Copy EXIF To option in Breezebrowser to copy the original EXIF from the RAW file to the modified JPG (both must have the same filename for this to work). Upload it into your compact flash and see if it works for you.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it before. Don't see a need to...

Jul 10, 2004 at 01:07 AM
Wacom
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Modified white bal..Advice needed

Nutek,
You are the only one with an answer!! It sound like a plan!!! I will try it ..
Thanks
Wacom

Jul 10, 2004 at 11:39 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password