New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

R.Young
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

Just got my 5D2 last week and now I can see using LiveView that my Contax 35 f/1.4 doesn't quite reach infinity with either of the two adapters I have. I currently have no mirror issues with the lens.

I'm not overly fussed as this is not really my landscape lens, but it would be nice to be able to use it for that and not be restricted. I can't remember if this has been explained before in the Official Zeiss 35 1.4 thread but I cannot find it and a search showed no results.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

R.Young wrote:
Just got my 5D2 last week and now I can see using LiveView that my Contax 35 f/1.4 doesn't quite reach infinity with either of the two adapters I have. I currently have no mirror issues with the lens.

I'm not overly fussed as this is not really my landscape lens, but it would be nice to be able to use it for that and not be restricted. I can't remember if this has been explained before in the Official Zeiss 35 1.4 thread but I cannot find it and a search showed no results.

Does anyone know how this can
...Show more

Infinity adjustment on Y/C lenses is relatively easy:

- Remove the rubber grip from the barrel (just slide it off).
- Loosen the screws on the barrel a bit.
- Rotate the barrel by a small amount and fasten the screws.
- Check infinity.
- Reinstall the rubber.

A few iterations may be required.

I don't know whether this procedure applies to all Y/C lenses, but I cured a few in this manner.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

Perfect thanks! just rolled back the rubber, there are 7 screws around the barrel, 6 evenly spaced around in a line, and one just infront of the screw which sits at the top of the lens as you look down on the camera. Do I loosed that odd one, or all six or all seven?! I don't want to loosen something that I shouldn't

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

R.Young wrote:
Perfect thanks! just rolled back the rubber, there are 7 screws around the barrel, 6 evenly spaced around in a line, and one just infront of the screw which sits at the top of the lens as you look down on the camera. Do I loosed that odd one, or all six or all seven?! I don't want to loosen something that I shouldn't

Loosen the six screws. The odd one does not ring a bell, and I would not touch it.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

Thanks Toothwalker, much appreciated. I unfortunately do not have a screw diver which I can get enough torque through to loosen the very tight screws so I think I'll leave the lens alone

Feb 12, 2012 at 08:08 PM
theophilus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

Get a set of Wiha brand precision screwdrivers, or perhaps a set from ifixit.com that they use to take apart iphones and such. You just need the exact right size.

Feb 12, 2012 at 09:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

phuang3
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

I'd suggest getting a precision adapter instead of altering infinity focus distance.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:40 AM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

leitax.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

phuang3 wrote:
I'd suggest getting a precision adapter instead of altering infinity focus distance.

Such as?

Feb 13, 2012 at 01:45 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

JohnJ,

Try a Kindai adapter, it won't let you down. Ask the seller about EOS-CY version.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-Kindai-Store-New-Contax-C-Y-4-3-adaptor-/190362252107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5279734b#ht_500wt_1156

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:54 AM
davidearls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

Finding the perfect adapter only works if you're buying a used lens that you know for certain has never been adjusted for infinity -OP should buy the perfect adapter but be prepared to adjust in any case -

Feb 13, 2012 at 05:16 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adjusting infinity on Contax 35 1.4

phuang3 wrote:

Yes, my copy came with a fotodiox pro adapter which was too thick to achieve infinity focus.
Got another adapter, HappyPageHK, and works perfectly.

Feb 13, 2012 at 05:30 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password