New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

Is it fairly common for the auto focus motor to squeak on this lens? I am thinking about buying a used one. The seller advises hat it has a small squeak as it auto focuses. He says that he sent it to an authorized Nikon repair shop, and they told him the squeak is common.

I don't want to buy the lens only to have to send it to Nikon for repair right away.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:01 AM
FortyOneSixty
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

I used one for over two years. Never squeaked once.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM
gardnerdw

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

I have had one for about 5 years. After one year it started to squeak intermittently. Never effected speed or focus.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:09 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

I would not expect a lens to squeak. That means something is rubbing and will eventually wear out sooner than it should. I'd send it in.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:11 PM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

Mine only squeaks after it's been sitting for a little while, then once it focuses a few times it usually goes away. Ask for a discount because the squeak, but I don't think you'll have much issue, at least with my experience.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

Had a 300/f4 AFS that performed brilliantly but had a little squeek. Over a little time, that squeek became intermittent focussing issues. Nikon Repair cleaned and lubed it. Squeek gone... temporarily. The squeek came back worse than before, as again did intermittent focus issues. Nikon Repair this time replaced the AF-S motor and some other internals (circuit board?). That seemed to solve things.

I'd personally be concerned yours was heading down the same road. I used to say the little squeek meant nothing. But it did mean problems were beginning.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

Andre Labonte wrote:
I would not expect a lens to squeak. That means something is rubbing and will eventually wear out sooner than it should. I'd send it in.

AF-S squeak is not rubbing. It's actually a high pitched whine caused by a stressed motor.

Jul 15, 2011 at 02:03 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

mine started squeeking but it did not affect AF. 2 weeks later, the AF-S motor failed and the lens would not AF at all. 100% guarantee that when there is squeeking, there is something wrong with the AF-S motor. the question really is whether it is going to fail soon or not.

Herb...

Jul 15, 2011 at 02:42 PM
Dennis H.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

I have had mine for three years and it has never squeaked.

Jul 15, 2011 at 09:05 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

Thanks for all the replies. The lens is on eBay, and the seller stated that the lens squeaked. He said it had been checked out and not to worry. I do believe I will refrain from bidding.

Jul 15, 2011 at 09:53 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

Erik Moore wrote:
AF-S squeak is not rubbing. It's actually a high pitched whine caused by a stressed motor.

Ah, that makes sense. But, if the motor is being stessed, something is causing more friction (i.e. rubbing) somewhere.

Either way, the exact source of the sound vs. the cause of the issue is not so important as it is an indication of something wrong.

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:42 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

graham_martin wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. The lens is on eBay, and the seller stated that the lens squeaked. He said it had been checked out and not to worry. I do believe I will refrain from bidding.

Smart move. I bought one of these from eBay 4+ years ago for a good price (under $800). Seller advertised as "excellent condition". When it arrived it squeaked. Nikon advised that this is DEFINITELY not normal. Sent it in, $300 later they had replaced the AFS motor. Filed a claim with eBay and recovered $250 of the cost. A month later it was squeaking again. At that point I sold it with full disclosure for a discounted price. Have not heard from the buyer since.

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:50 PM
jefflee
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

Sounds like AFS failure, mine was covered under warrenty - AFS and Squeek is not a match made in heaven.

Jul 16, 2011 at 07:58 PM
Baywing
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

Any focus squeak in an AFS lens is a sign that the AFS motor is headed for failure. How long it takes is a different story, but it will fail.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM
maljo
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

I thought the squeak was normal, related to felt in the lens.
I am not an expert on this however.
Mine has always sqeaked (8 years) with no change and no other sign of trouble.
Mine squeaks a bit with hand turning the focus as well.

maljo

Jul 18, 2011 at 02:19 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

I wound up buying a non-squeaking used lens from B&H. Much less risky than an eBay purchase.

Jul 23, 2011 at 09:04 PM
passthegravy
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 300mm f/4 AF-S squeak question

Good move even if just for the peace of mind. I love my non-squeaky 300 f/4 AF-S.

Jul 23, 2011 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.