fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of denoir's message #9776128 « US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss »

  

denoir
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss


Thanks Dmitry, Mescalamba, Akul, Joe, Smirdevan, Ron, Corposant & Philippe

akul wrote:
Luka - This was quite a treat to my eyes, my spirit. Very inspiring and also educational. I won\'t say which one was my favorite. They are all different, and very well shot beautiful images. Even ones that you said did not like too much, like Zion shot, I still find it quite nicely composed given what you were shooting.

On the side note, I am going on a road trip ( car camping ) this summer for two weeks in North East US. New Hampshire, Maine, to Nova Scotia, and I calculated 150 to max 200 shots a day when I got additional memory cards. It is great to hear how many shots you have taken, and confirm my estimate is probably not too far off. Last year, I did not have enough memory for a two day camping trip to Glacier National Park, as I had to leave my laptop in Missoula for the camping part of the trip, and ended up shooting many shots in JPGs. I don\'t want to repeat that mistake again.


Thanks for the kind words! As for storage I had the laptop to which I downloaded the images. I left them on the hard drive but also made copies to three separate external drives. I kept one of the extrnal drives (a very small 250GB SSD disk) in my camera bag that I always had with me, one in the main luggage and friend kept the third external disk in her backpack. I did not want to take any chances.

Yet I managed to make a very serious mistake. Usually I would offload the images every evening and I\'d continue shooting on the same SD card next day until it was full. The idea was to keep the images as long as possible on the memory cards as well. I had four 16 GB cards for the M9, and one 64 GB and two 32 GB CF cards for the 5DII.

The system worked well enough until Mono lake. When the SD card was full, I switched to a new one - or so I thought. In fact I inserted the same card again, formatted it and continued shooting. I had not downloaded the images from the card the evening before. So I lost all the shots from Las Vegas and from Death Valley.

As those pictures were at the end of the SD card and I had not yet filled it up with new photos I bought recovery software which managed to retrieve every single image. So I was very lucky.

From that point on I made sure to very clearly label the SD cards in sequence (A, B, C & D) and made sure to change them in strict sequence. I also made a habit of write protecting a card once it was full and only removing the write protection after I\'ve downloaded the images.

Toothwalker wrote:
Wow. My my total number of keepers since November 2005, when I went digital, is less than that (2200 out of 13000 taken).


My total number of images since October 2001 when I got my first digital camera is about 72,000 photos with around 60,000 taken in the last 18 months. My record was in May 2010 when on a safari in South Africa where I shot around 8,000 frames in a single week. That was of course during my 8 fps AF period. The number of frames shots per day dropped drastically once I made the switch to manual focus glass.

This is my photography history:






My actual interest in photography started beginning of last year, as indicated by the three regions in the bottom, cumulative graph. The three regions define different \"eras\", the red being Canon AF, green Zeiss MF and blue Leica rangefinder.

In the top graph I\'ve marked out longer trips and when I got my cameras.


I can do that, variations in framing and/or exposure, but keep only the best.


Apart from blatantly unusable photos I keep everything. Disk space is cheap. I rate the images in Lightroom so that I can view the database at a chosen quality level. In theory at least. In practice I have a huge backlog when it comes to rating images, but I plan on dealing with it when I get time.

rscheffler wrote:
BTW, the full rez 90AA image you posted: What was your focusing technique? Did you rangefinder focus or just set it at infinity?


Just set at infinity. I\'ve previously verified that the mechanical infinity on the lens really corresponds to the optical infinity.

denoir wrote:
I think I shot nearly that much in four days in Swizterland Which reminds me, I still have to post some of those over in the Leica thread


You can guess what I\'ll be posting for quite a while



Jul 21, 2011 at 03:03 PM





  Previous versions of denoir's message #9776128 « US Southwest with Leica & Zeiss »