fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of CGP4's message #8202176 « "New" Elinchrom D-Lite it 4 // B800 or Profoto Compact? »

  

CGP4
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: "New" Elinchrom D-Lite it 4 // B800 or Profoto Compact?


Carmen Miranda wrote:
CGP4 wrote:
If you\'re using a Mola dish, I think the bare-bulb flash head style of the Profoto Compact (but not the newer D1) would be superior to the Elinchrom and AB options in that application.


In what way? The D-Lite and AB are bare bulb too.


They\'ll all work, but there\'s bare bulb and there\'s bare bulb. The Profoto Compact is like the Pro & Acute heads, in that the tube has a diffusion dome and extends forward a good deal from the body. I find this design spreads light better into the sides of dishes and softboxes (I can measure the difference in my softboxes, haven\'t tried in a dish). While, yes, AB and Elinchrom are bare in the sense that the tubes are exposed, their design (and effectiveness) is different; in fact, I find Elinchrom\'s integrated reflector behind the tube makes it especially forward biased (but I understand, to mitigate this, Mola has a new mounting bracket to help get Elinchrom tubes farther into the dish).

My answer was for use in a beauty dish; as far as monolights go, in general, I\'d take Elinchrom over Profoto anyday!



Mar 04, 2010 at 12:42 PM





  Previous versions of CGP4's message #8202176 « "New" Elinchrom D-Lite it 4 // B800 or Profoto Compact? »