fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of James Markus's message #17119688 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

  

James Markus
Online
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass


jimmuller wrote:
I feel I owe each of you a personal, specific reply. Thank you for the suggestions.

James Markus wrote:
I've owned a bunch of zoom lenses, and ended up becoming a prime lens snob. The one that turned me around was the Zoom Nikkor AI-S 25-50mm f4.0.


I'm guessing that "turned me around" means no longer a prime lens snob. Right? It's usually tough to make an anything-snob not be, so that 25-50mm must be a good one! That's not a focal range I would use much unfortunately.


It is based on the grass is always greener on the prime side - then the zoom side - then the prime side. I generally believe primes have better IQ, and consistency - but I have had zooms that could produce prime IQ less often than a prime. The prime that pushed me back towards primes is the af 180mm f2.8 crinkle finish. Zoom with your feet or with the lens - the later is becoming more attractive as I age (two new, to me, reasonably priced af 's coming today). Hope you find the one that fits your needs.



Oct 07, 2026 at 12:53 PM





  Previous versions of James Markus's message #17119688 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »