fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of Newenglandrocks's message #17118607 « Your Preferred Travel Outfit? »

  

Newenglandrocks
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Your Preferred Travel Outfit?


I have a "universal" travel kit.

Hi res Sony body. Recently switched from A7Rv to A1ii. Precisely configurable RAW precapture is such a massive quality-of-life improvement that I am stunned it is not available on Nikon or Canon.

14GM. I don't shoot wide a lot. But if I do, it is often at night. And some trips I will shoot the Milky Way.

35GM. I'm a 35 prime shooter. Occasionally I will substitute the i35 but I like the 35GM better.

55ZA. This is a new-to-me lens in the last year small enough that I just toss it into my bag. I don't enjoy shooting 50 much, but I also find I learn a lot shooting at an uncomfortable focal length

28-200. I like shooting long. The idea of a 20-70 or 24-120 feels extremely claustrophobic to me, particularly in urban environments. I love architectural details and "need" 200mm frequently. I also like the speed / focal length tradeoff. AF is fast enough, and IQ is good enough. Neither bother me enough to "upgrade" to the 25-200 or 20-200. For wider, I stitch or get out of the14GM

Other thoughts:
I tried the 35-150 on a few trips. It is a fantastic lens but a bit too large and heavy. If you really are not a wide angle shooter, like myself, having 35 as the widest FL is a non-issue.

I struggle with an 85 prime. It comes with me into the mountains when I am snowboarding, but for travel I don't like it much.

I've tried the 100GM macro on trips. Also too big, and when shooting macro, you have no idea where the shot as taken.

At the most recent UCI World Championships in Montréal, my focus was on shooting the race. It was the first time I've ever taken the 70-200GMii out of the country. Great for the race, but the results when shooting it for travel purposes were not significantly better than the 28-200. I also brought the 24GM. As someone who doesn't shoot wide, it was too wide (for me) for shooting scenes around the city. But great for for big crowd shots at the race.

Finally, I had never had much experience until the Montréal trip shooting large LED screens. If you know that is going to be a significant part of what you end up shooting, I highly recommend bringing am A9iii. The screen banding on my A1ii was really ruining some environmental shots, but I switched to the A9iii and problem fixed. I was initially a little skeptical of global shutter benefits, but aftwr owning the A9iii for a while, I've slowly opened up to the benefits of shooting with it. That said, it isn't my go-to travel body ATM



Oct 05, 2026 at 01:04 PM





  Previous versions of Newenglandrocks's message #17118607 « Your Preferred Travel Outfit? »