finnphotos wrote:
Perhaps the time has come to finally take the plunge on a 50mm Noctilux, either an F1.0 v3 or v4 or the F0.95. But I keep having this recurring thought that I'm insane for spending that kind of money on a lens, especially one with as many "flaws" as a Noctilux.
I've tried/owned just about every other Leica 50 and 35 except the APOs and have consistently wanted to try a Noctilux, particularly the F1.0 variant. But I worry that the lack of sharpness will leave me wanting, as I'm using it on modern digital (Leica SL3-S) as well as film (Leica MP). For film, I'm obviously less worried. But with digital, will I be disappointed? Would I be happier with a more modern lens like the 50 Summicron APO that will give me perfect sharpness? For anyone that's used a Noctilux on digital, are the results satisfying or is the lack of sharpness/contrast a distraction?
I have used the Noct 50/1 extensively on digital. If you were happy with the lens depends entirely on your taste. Given the lenses you have mentioned, I do not think you will be happy.
Personally, it is my first or second favorite lens of all time. But I don’t have high expectations (at all) for well corrected glass nor do I like modern draw unlike most of the people here on FM.
The Noct 50/1 offers surprisingly high contrast and sharpness (centrally ant f1) but only relative to older lenses but against modern glass it’s not impressive.
Everybody makes decisions differently, but I personally don’t care how many flaws or well corrected a lens is, I only care about if I enjoy the images it producers.
Have you considered trying the CV 50/1? It offers a lot of of the same strengths and weaknesses of the Noct’s but in a smaller cheaper package. It has much more modern contrast and flair resistance and no SA while still offering ultra-shallow DOF and light gathering in a (relatively) small package. After trying that lens, he’ll probably have a pretty good indication. If you would prefer an even more vintage draw in a Noct 50/F1 or if the CV 50/1 are at your “character threshold” with its FC and Axial and such.
Oct 02, 2026 at 01:03 PM
Previous versions of nehemiahphoto's message #17117061 « To Noctilux or not to Noctilux »