fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #17110565 « Move to FF or Stay with my beloved Fujis »

  

gdanmitchell
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Move to FF or Stay with my beloved Fujis


pechance wrote:
If I had the courage, I'd take my 18/2.8 skopar, 27/2 Ultron and 50/2 APO Lanthar - no camera bag - just a fanny pack. But it doesn't really help in low light.


Well, now that you. mention it... that is approximately what I carry. I travel with the following Fujifilm lenses:

14mm f/2.8
27mm f/2.8 pancake
50mm f/2

The tiny 27mm f/2.8 almost is glued to the camera — I use it for probably 80%-90% of my photographs. The others come typically come out in specific situations. The 14mm gets used for some interiors and on some narrow streets and occasionally for a wider, landscape-like shot. the 50mm gets me a bit "closer" (2:1 focal length ration to the 27mm) and is useful for portrait style shots where I want less background and softer background.

One thing that you may learn if you try this is that you'll find ways to make photographs with those lenses that you might have through would require longer or shorter focal lengths or larger apertures. I describe this as "seeing with the lens you have." Even though I'm an enthusiastic user of rather long focal lengths in my landscape photography, I almost never am stymied by having only 50mm APS-C while traveling. (There are exceptions — recently I was in northwest Scotland with a lot of landscape opportunities so I brought along the 16-55 and the 50-140 plus a 1.4x TC, but that was an exception to the rule.)

I know that it is hard to believe that one can shoot this way while traveling – and ultimately it may not be for everyone — but it works so well for me that I would not go back to carrying larger and more lenses.

YMMV.



Sep 21, 2026 at 01:12 PM





  Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #17110565 « Move to FF or Stay with my beloved Fujis »