fredmiranda.com
Login

  

  Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #17074917 « combo for europe »

  

gdanmitchell
Offline
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: combo for europe


Flowernut wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
Not recently, but in the past I have connected from Florence to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and then to the US west coast on United. You should be able to book the whole thing via United since the are both Star Alliance carriers.

Flowernut wrote:
gdanmitchell wrote:
Flowernut wrote:
Wnhich airlines are best fur carrying weight limits from us to Italy


I think they are pretty much the same, at least among US carriers. (Some European and similar carriers have smaller/lighter cary-on limits.)

What may differ is what you pay to check your luggage — or in the case of some budget carriers to bring it on-board in the cabin.

No guarantees on the following, but an observation: I’ve never had carry-on weight on US airlines nor heard of it happening to anyone. But I have heard of it happening on non-US carriers. (Not to me personally.)

Carryon is what worries me. I don't believe any US airlines goes all the way to florence. They just code share with others. It seem KLM, Swiss Air, British Air, Air France, or some airline you never heard of becomes involved. I've had carry on problems with British Air several years ago. Any thoughts which carrier? KLM says 19lb but they didn't enforce it on my trip to Kenya but then I was flying first class.
Un


United doesn't have a weight limit but I suspect Lufthansa does. If I book through United do you think Lufthansa will let me on?


United checked luggage weight limit is 50 pounds for Economy, 70 pounds for first class.

United is somewhat vague about weight limits for carry-on bags. I’ve heard (both from an AI search and elsewhere) that there might be a 50 lb. limit OR that the limit is that you have to be able to lift it into the overhead bin on your own.

I have, of course, had checked luggage weighed. I’ve never had a carry-on bag weighed on United. I suspect that would only happen if you were obviously trying to stretch things…

Lufthansa definitively has different limits than United. Their carry-on bag limit is, IIRC, 10 kg or 22 lbs. I’ve never had a carry-on bag weighed on Lufthansa, but I have read that it happens. I believe they are also more restrictive on the size of under-seat bags. (Easy to search this stuff online.)

If you book a flight through United that includes a Lufthansa flight, I think that your United luggage limits apply on the connecting Lufthansa flight. I’ve done flights like that, and that’s my recollection, but I’d double-check. For example, on one flight that was United from SFO - FRA in Polaris we were allowed (but did not take) two 70 pound checked bags. Because we booked the Lufthansa connection to Paris on the same booking from United, we had the same allowance on the Lufthansa FRA - CDG flight.

(I recheck this stuff every time if I’m flirting with bag size, weight, and quantity limits, since things change. For example, I used to be able to take into the United cabin: 1 “carryon” bag (to place in the bin), one underseat bag, AND one additional “small personal item.” But they changed their rules and now you can only bring a total of two “items.” (You are allowed to squeeze certain items into a pocket of a jacket you are wearing, but check their regs on this.)

BTW, if you fly business you can check two bags. (For free in my case.) I’ve never taken advantage of that though, since I can’t imagine hauling that much stuff around when I travel.



Jul 19, 2026 at 09:57 PM





  Previous versions of gdanmitchell's message #17074917 « combo for europe »