aerospace99 wrote:
I have been happy with lens choices, particularly the Zeiss offerings. This is now my main 50mm (Zeiss Planar T) that destroys anything I put on a Nikon Z (for my purposes) in terms of rendering. Yes its chunky but so is the Viltrox 50 1.4 which this lens blow away, and the Nikon 50 1.2 which is huge. I know the 50 1.8S is smaller and sharper but rendering is important. For the classic Zeiss look, which I love, there is nothing better for a A7Riii.
This goes along with the 35 1.4 Distagon and the 135 GMaster, and the Viltrox 85 1.4 (a no brainer lens if there was one)
Bottom line,between the better AF and these lenses....no regrets switching from Nikon. For the money I spent on these 4 lenses and the camera, the bang for the buck is phenomenal.
Since I wrote this, I made one final adjustment, replacing the Viltrox 85 1.4 with the Sigma 85 1.4 DG DN. So to sort of summarize my experience:
For the first time since I entered digital photography 10 years ago, I am "satisfied" with my equipment setup. I would be lying if I did not say I miss my Z7II for its ergos and overall handling. But the additional lens selections made the switch worthwhile. Out of the 6 lenses I have landed on, 4 of them do not have any Nikon equivalents for price/performance ratio including the used market. My point is that if I was still in Nikon I would be debating which 35, or which 50, or which 85, the core of my kit. In Sony, this was all resolved due to better choices for 1.4 aperture lenses. My AF troubles in lower light are also resolved. More confidence in focus acquisition than before. I gained more than I gave up.....that is the bottom line for me (YMMV).
Jun 21, 2026 at 06:14 AM
Previous versions of aerospace99's message #17059008 « Any Nikon converts here? »