Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Douglas L's message #16555024 « Sony FE Images Thread »

Douglas L
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Sony FE Images Thread

AGeoJO wrote:
Douglas L wrote:
birdied wrote:
Douglas if you are not the official airshow photographer, you should be !! All of these are amazing. Fantastic work.

This is my neighborhood airshow

Birdie

Thank you very much, Birdie! That would be my dream job for sure! I am enjoying your beautiful hummer shots while I am patiently waiting for the hummers to feed on their favorite flowers in my yard. They like the feeder better.

From the U.S. Naval Academy on Tuesday (rehearsal) and Wednesday (real demo). It's the commencement week on campus, big deal.

I am truly impressed, Doug and I agree with Birdie that you should be the official air show photographer.

You have a wide selection of long lenses. I wonder what makes you choose which lens or lenses to take with you on a particular airshow day, BTW, it looks like the G 200-600mm is performing splendidly there. Looking at a few recent threads, that lens has taken a beating by users lately and a lot of folks are considering of dumping that lens and some already did. I must admit that the GM 300mm is tempting though for occasional birding/wildlife lens abroad.

Thank you very much, Joshua!

Before Sony launched the 200-600, for airshows I used the 100-400 + 1.4 TC, before that, I used the Sigma 150-600 (on Nikon). In the last two years, my typical airshow setup are 200-600 on one A1, 600 GM+1.4TC on another A1. The 200-600 is my primary airshow lens, it's more than sharp enough for my usage and I have pictures to prove it . I used the 600 GM+1.4 TC if I want to get some really closeup shots. The problem with the 600+1.4TC is the jets can overfill the frame very quickly and I end up with clipped wings, tails, and noses. I have the 300 GM but it's not going to replace my 200-600, I need the versatility. I haven't done the direct comparison, but I doubt if one can really tell this plane was taken with the lowly 200-600 and this plane was taken with the 300 GM+2X TC. I am beginning to question my wisdom of buying the 300 GM . I bought it mainly to be used with the 2X TC to shoot hummingbirds at MFD. As you may already know, at MDF, the 300 GM+2X TC has a larger magnification than the 200-600 at 600mm. The hummingbirds will look bigger at MDF with the 300 GM +2X TC.

As I said before, for what I use the 200-600 for, I will never sell it unless there is a lighter/smaller version of it. Here is an example of how I choose lenses for airshows. Tomorrow there is a very good chance I will drive to Long Island to watch the airshow rehearsal, I will be travelling to Denver on Saturday so I will miss the real weekend show. Initially I was just going to bring one camera with the 300 GM+2X TC to shoot the F-35C (the naval version) and the A-10 (last year to do demo), I wouldn't need the versatility of the 200-600 for single plane. Later I learned the Blue Angels will do the rehearsal on Friday too, for the Blue Angels I need the versatility of the 200-600 for formation shots. So I repacked my bag, now I am bring the 200-600 and the 600 GM+1.4TC, and leave the 300 GM home.

BTW, if you want to get a taste and don't want to travel far for an airshow, there will be a show on Oct 4-6 in Huntington Beach with this fantastic lineup that I would kill for. The crowd will be huge I can imagine, and for part of the show you will probably be shooting in to the sun. I have never been there for airshows so I am speculating. I think you should try it once to see if you like it.

Featuring
- USAF Thunderbirds
- US Army Golden Knights
- US Navy Leap Frogs
- USAF A-10 Thunderbolt II Demo
- USAF F-22 Raptor Demo
- USAF Heritage Flight
- US Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet Demo
- US Navy EA-18G Growler 2-Ship Demo
- US Navy F-35C Lightning II Demo
- US Navy Legacy Flight
- USMC MV-22 Osprey Demo
- USAF C-17 Globemaster III Demo
- USAF KC-135 Stratotanker Demo
- Michael Goulian [Extra 330SC]
- Rob Holland [MXS-RH]
- Greg Colyer and Rob Mitchell [T-33 Shooting Star (x 2)]
- Jarrod Lindemann [RAD Aerosports Jet Waco]
- Sammy Mason [Edge 540]
- Aaron Fitzgerald [Bo 105]
- Torrey Ward [SubSonex JSX-2]
- Patriots Jet Team [L-39 Albatros (x 6)]
- Red Bull Air Force Skydivers

May 23, 2024 at 09:32 PM
Douglas L
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Sony FE Images Thread

AGeoJO wrote:
Douglas L wrote:
birdied wrote:
Douglas if you are not the official airshow photographer, you should be !! All of these are amazing. Fantastic work.

This is my neighborhood airshow

Birdie

Thank you very much, Birdie! That would be my dream job for sure! I am enjoying your beautiful hummer shots while I am patiently waiting for the hummers to feed on their favorite flowers in my yard. They like the feeder better.

From the U.S. Naval Academy on Tuesday (rehearsal) and Wednesday (real demo). It's the commencement week on campus, big deal.

I am truly impressed, Doug and I agree with Birdie that you should be the official air show photographer.

You have a wide selection of long lenses. I wonder what makes you choose which lens or lenses to take with you on a particular airshow day, BTW, it looks like the G 200-600mm is performing splendidly there. Looking at a few recent threads, that lens has taken a beating by users lately and a lot of folks are considering of dumping that lens and some already did. I must admit that the GM 300mm is tempting though for occasional birding/wildlife lens abroad.

Thank you very much, Joshua!

Before Sony launched the 200-600, for airshows I used the 100-400 + 1.4 TC, before that, I used the Sigma 150-600 (on Nikon). In the last two years, my typical airshow setup are 200-600 on one A1, 600 GM+1.4TC on another A1. The 200-600 is my primary airshow lens, it's more than sharp enough for my usage and I have pictures to prove it . I used the 600 GM+1.4 TC if I want to get some really closeup shots. The problem with the 600+1.4TC is the jets can overfill the frame very quickly and I end up with clipped wings, tails, and noses. I have the 300 GM but it's not going to replace my 200-600, I need the versatility. I haven't done the direct comparison, but I doubt if one can really tell this plane was taken with the lowly 200-600 and this plane was taken with the 300 GM+2X TC. I am beginning to question my wisdom of buying the 300 GM . I bought it mainly to be used with the 2X TC to shoot hummingbirds at MFD. As you may already know, at MDF, the 300 GM+2X TC has a larger magnification than the 200-600 at 600mm. The hummingbirds will look bigger at MDF with the 300 GM +2X TC.

As I said before, for what I use the 200-600 for, I will never sell it unless there is a lighter/smaller version of it.

BTW, if you want to get a taste and don't want to travel far for an airshow, there will be a show on Oct 4-6 in Huntington Beach with this fantastic lineup that I would kill for. The crowd will be huge I can imagine, and for part of the show you will probably be shooting in to the sun. I have never been there for airshows so I am speculating. I think you should try it once to see if you like it.

Featuring
- USAF Thunderbirds
- US Army Golden Knights
- US Navy Leap Frogs
- USAF A-10 Thunderbolt II Demo
- USAF F-22 Raptor Demo
- USAF Heritage Flight
- US Navy F/A-18 Super Hornet Demo
- US Navy EA-18G Growler 2-Ship Demo
- US Navy F-35C Lightning II Demo
- US Navy Legacy Flight
- USMC MV-22 Osprey Demo
- USAF C-17 Globemaster III Demo
- USAF KC-135 Stratotanker Demo
- Michael Goulian [Extra 330SC]
- Rob Holland [MXS-RH]
- Greg Colyer and Rob Mitchell [T-33 Shooting Star (x 2)]
- Jarrod Lindemann [RAD Aerosports Jet Waco]
- Sammy Mason [Edge 540]
- Aaron Fitzgerald [Bo 105]
- Torrey Ward [SubSonex JSX-2]
- Patriots Jet Team [L-39 Albatros (x 6)]
- Red Bull Air Force Skydivers

May 23, 2024 at 09:23 PM

Previous versions of Douglas L's message #16555024 « Sony FE Images Thread »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.