Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of jlafferty's message #16362552 « System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help! »

jlafferty
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

Elinchrom is overall good, if you’re simply asking about quality of light. But their quirks have made it so that they’re not broadly adopted or widely supported. Once you buy Elinchrom you’re locked into their modifier system - I’m not an expert in it, I’m sure they make great modifiers overall, but I’m not at all clear what their answer is to niche things like optical spots. And the things they’re good at - the Elinchrom line of octas are among, if not the best - aren’t so singular and essential that I need to get into their system. For example, while they perhaps make the best octa, a simple soft silver umbrella and sock, costing maybe ¼ an octa, gets you 90% the same quality of light. Easier to transport, cheaper, and you’re not obligated to stay within their system to use it. I don’t think their trigger or interface system is especially easy or efficient compared to other options - again, not so wildly better that I need to jump into their system. I think the one thing they’ve got indisputably over most other systems would be their implementation of what they call Hi-Sync, and customizing that via trigger, but if your work doesn’t live or die by that one feature, it’s kind of a moot point.

Oct 10, 2023 at 11:12 AM
jlafferty
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help!

Elinchrom is overall good, if you’re simply asking about quality of light. But their quirks have made it so that they’re not broadly adopted or widely supported. Once you buy Elinchrom you’re locked into their modifier system - I’m not an expert in it, I’m sure they make great modifiers overall, but I’m not at all clear what their answer is to niche things like optical spots. And the things they’re good at - the Elinchrom line of octas are among, if not the best - aren’t so singular and essential that I need to get into their system. For example, while they perhaps make the best octa, a simple soft silver umbrella and sock, costing maybe ¼ an octa, gets you 90% the same quality of light. Easier to transport, cheaper, and you’re not obligated to stay within their system to use it. I don’t think their trigger or interface system is especially easy or efficient compared to other options.

Oct 10, 2023 at 07:16 AM

Previous versions of jlafferty's message #16362552 « System decision: Profoto, Godox, Elinchrom…? Help! »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.