The labs only charge $6-$7 to develop a roll, so cost per roll definitely goes down with scanning your own it seems. It looks like it's uncut negatives, not sure if that matters or not.
My lab's price is similar ($5 Canadian), and because I don't own a macro lens it has been cheaper for me so far to have the lab do it (I'd have to shoot a lot more film to make it worthwhile economically).
But I've had a few problems with my lab's scans (they use a Noritsu, a great scanner in general): occasionally they have horizontal lines in them and frequent dust or lint spots. So it's not just about the money, but quality.
I'm more attracted to standalone scanners like the Plustek Optiscan than camera-based scanners, but the camera-based scanning setups do seem to give you more flexibility.
Sep 26, 2023 at 08:22 AM
Previous versions of bjhurley's message #16351407 « Curious about Film »