Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RexGig0's message #16217511 « New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome »

RexGig0
Upload & Sell: On
Re: New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome

The major reason I would be interested in the Summilux ASPH II would be mitigation of the “ninja star” bokeh, that appears at some aperture settings, with the currently-available ASPH lens. But, alas, the immediate, externally-visible trade-off is the lack of any ribs/grooves/flutes on the focusing ring. The most-familiar version of the Summilux ASPH has both a tab, and ribs on the focusing ring.

I tend to grip focusing ring, itself, rather than use the tab, unless I am distance/scale focusing, by “feel,” with a 28mm Elmarit-M or 24mm Elmar-M. Notably, the tab positions on these various Leica lenses do not correspond to the same distances, which makes it difficult to program one’s brain to reflexively recall the tab’s felt position for various distances, with multiple lenses.

Macro/close-range photography was the dominant reason that I started shooting seriously with interchangeable-lens cameras, in 2009/2010. I, for one, cannot imagine why a lens that is being promoted for its closer-focusing capability, and has a quite long focusing throw, would not have some kind of ribs, grooves, flutes, knurling, or some other texturing, on the focusing ring. I can only reckon that Leica has chosen style, over function.

It is not that I plan to use a 50mm M lens for macro and close-range photography. There are 90mm and 75mm* M lenses better-suited for that, and Canon EOS EF remains my system for truly serious macro.

To be clear, this is not meant to “sound’ like a rant. This is a beautiful April day. I am still learning to effectively use my APO Summicron-M 75mm ASPH, which nicely complements my Summilux-M 50mm ASPH. I consider myself fiercely loyal to my Summilux, and was not thinking about trading it for this Version II. (Yes, I would, actually, consider eventually owning two versions of 50mm Summilux.)

*The APO Summicron-M 75mm ASPH has a quite good magnification ratio, at MFD, and, of course, has a ribbed focusing ring, with no tab. I should try it with the Macro-Adapter-M. Life is good.

Apr 13, 2023 at 09:40 AM

Previous versions of RexGig0's message #16217511 « New Leica Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 ASPH lens and M11 Monochrome »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.