Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of DanielScott's message #16087752 « Classic Man »

DanielScott
Upload & Sell: Off
Classic Man

BubbaJon wrote:
Nice! Good focus control.
Observation - a head tilted up is read by many as "haughty" or arrogant (aka stuck up).
Unless of course that's what you were going for.
Nitpick: #2 could have used a hair light. Nevertheless good separation from the background and a well done vignette.

Thank you Jon.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your constructive critiques. I personally see a head tilted up as proud, confident, statuesque, and in this portrait of my friend also a little cheeky. All of those attributes showcase what I love about Vinnie's personality. I also very often direct my models to raise their head/chin because I like what it does for the jawline.

I did use a hair light in #2, but I chose to keep it subdued because when I increased it's power it also created highlights on the leather that were too bright for me.

Nov 07, 2022 at 01:51 AM
DanielScott
Classic Man

BubbaJon wrote:
Observation - a head tilted up is read by many as "haughty" or arrogant (aka stuck up).
Nitpick: #2 could have used a hair light. Nevertheless good separation from the background and a well done vignette.

Thank you Jon.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your constructive critiques. I personally see a head tilted up as proud, confident, statuesque, and in this portrait of my friend also a little cheeky. All of those attributes showcase what I love about Vinnie's personality. I also very often direct my models to raise their head up because I like what it does for the jawline.

I did use a hair light in #2, but I chose to keep it subdued because when I increased it's power it also created highlights on the leather that were too bright for me.

Nov 07, 2022 at 01:50 AM
DanielScott
Classic Man

BubbaJon wrote:

Thank you Jon.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your constructive critiques. I personally don't see his head position as stuck up. I see a head tilted up as proud, confident, statuesque, and a little cheeky. All of those attributes match the model's personality and I think having those attributes shown in a portrait is a good thing. The last thing I want expressed in one of my portraits is insecurity. I also like the head tilted up because it showcases a strong jawline which is also important to me no matter who I'm photographing. This is also the reason why I almost always photograph people from a position that is from below them. I definitely wasn't going for haughty, and I don't think that's what is being expressed. I see confidence.

Nov 07, 2022 at 01:14 AM
DanielScott
Re: Classic Man

BubbaJon wrote:

Thank you Jon.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your constructive critiques. I personally don't see his head position as stuck up. I see a head tilted up as proud, confident, and statuesque, and I think having those attributes shown in a portrait is a good thing. The last thing I want expressed in one of my portraits is insecurity. I also like the head tilted up because it showcases a strong jawline which is also important to me no matter who I'm photographing. This is also the reason why I almost always photograph people from a position that is from below them. I definitely wasn't going for haughty, and I don't think that's what is being expressed. I see confidence.

Nov 07, 2022 at 01:10 AM

Previous versions of DanielScott's message #16087752 « Classic Man »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.