Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of highdesertmesa's message #16073130 « Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 Steel Rim lens »

highdesertmesa
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Leica brings back the Leica Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 lens!

Fred Miranda wrote:
Owners or both versions say the original steel rim version (v1) has better/different rendering than v2 because even though the optical design is the same, they claim there was a change in the glass type used.

Has anyone seen a comparison showing the difference in rendering side by side? There is a lot of talk but not really proof of this and we have to also consider higher copy variance for these older lenses. Also many copies probably have haze, fungus and other issues that must be considered as well.

Former Leica Forum member Steven owned every version and multiple copies of some. His favorite is the v2. I don't have the coin to try the original Steel Rim, but I agree it's most likely copy variance more than anything with lenses this old. Very few check their lenses for mild haze by using a strong LED light in a pitch dark room (being careful not to look right into the light!) and most of these have never had a CLA.

The characteristic I find most appealing about the pre-ASPH versions is that at f/1.4, while there is a glow, the point of focus is still very sharp. It's not "soft" at f/1.4 in the same way as most lenses are wide open at close distances. If someone's not seeing the sharpness in conjunction with the glow, it's likely the lens needs a CLA.

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:49 AM

Previous versions of highdesertmesa's message #16073130 « Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 Steel Rim lens »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.