Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of ryanli's message #16017277 « Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount) »

ryanli
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount)

Dave Sanders wrote:
Very useful comparison, thanks for that! Looks to my eyes that a good deal on a used Tamron 17-28 is a good deal indeed.

Dave

Indeed. My dilemma is which one to keep and which to sell, since both are fantastic lenses. Having watched the Dustin Abbott video comparison again, my findings and conclusions essentially confirm his: both lenses are fantastic, the Tamron has a slight but visible edge with respect to IQ between 24-28mm, the Tamron has slightly less distracting bokeh, the Sigma has objective advantages in terms of zoom range and an AF/MF button.

I really want to like the Sigma more as it is newer and sexier (as PavSZ the YouTuber describes it) but the mind would say Tamron as it is a heck of a deal at current used prices. I'll probably settle for the Sigma, and justify it in that I anticipate using it mostly at the 16-20mm end and I have a 24GM for more demanding 24mm applications, but the 16-28 is decent enough for snapshot use.

One more 24mm sample from the Sigma followed by Tamron, note the latter is sharper, more contrasty, and noticeably a less busy lavender background:
Sigma DSC04035 by Ryan Li, on Flickr
Tamron DSC04036 by Ryan Li, on Flickr

Aug 14, 2022 at 04:06 PM

Previous versions of ryanli's message #16017277 « Official: Sigma 16-28mm f/2.8 DG DN (E-mount and L-mount) »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.