Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of AGeoJO's message #15913371 « Ecuadorian WPs »

AGeoJO
Upload & Sell: On
Ecuadorian WPs

On my recent visit to Ecuador, I encountered and had the opportunity to photograph various woodpeckers. They share resemblance with our woodpeckers here in North America but they are more colorful at least most of them are and as such, they do look somewhat different.

Most of the woodpeckers pictured here were captured in the Amazon Basin of Ecuador, where we spent plenty of times in various observation towers. That condition enabled me to capture them from a different perspective. The most unique perspective that way would be from a higher position of their perch.

The first 4 images are of a scale-breasted WP. The male was pecking and a large bird flew overhead and instinctively, it looked up or more sideways, to make sure that it didnít pose any danger to him and therefore exposing the head better for me, And I was happy to just get an eye level position as their level, which was ideal in #4 of a grooming female scale-breasted WP. As in the case of the cream-colored WP in the subsequent images, which looks more yellow to me than cream , the male has red cheeks. There is no distinctive characteristics between the male and female yellow-tufted WP pictured in the subsequent images. The last images are of a golden olive WP, which resembles closely to our acorn WPs here.

Thank you very much for visiting and please feel free to leave any feedback,
Joshua

Apr 10, 2022 at 12:18 PM
AGeoJO
Ecuadorian WPs

On my recent visit to Ecuador, I encountered and had the opportunity to photograph various woodpeckers. They share resemblance with our woodpeckers here in North America but they are more colorful at least most of them are and as such, they do look somewhat different.

Most of the woodpeckers pictured here were captured in the Amazon Basin of Ecuador, where we spent plenty of times in various observation towers. That condition enabled me to capture them from a different perspective. The most unique perspective that way would be from a higher position of their perch.

The first 4 images are of a scale-breasted WP. The male was pecking and a large bird flew overhead and instinctively, it looked up or more sideways, to make sure that it didnít pose any danger to him and therefore exposing the head better for me, And I was happy to just get an eye level position as their level, which was ideal in #4 of a grooming female scale-breasted WP. As in the case of the cream-colored WP in the subsequent images, which looks more yellow to me than cream , the male has red checks. There is no distinctive characteristics between the male and female yellow-tufted WP pictured in the subsequent images. The last images are of a golden olive WP, which resembles closely to our acorn WPs here.

Joshua

Apr 09, 2022 at 09:40 PM
AGeoJO
Ecuadorian WPs

The first 4 images are of a scale-breasted WP. The male was pecking and a large bird flew overhead and instinctively, it looked up or more sideways, to make sure that it didnít pose any danger to him and therefore exposing the head better for me, And I was happy to just get an eye level position as their level, which was ideal in #4 of a grooming female scale-breasted WP. As in the case of the cream-colored WP in the subsequent images, which looks more yellow to me than cream , the male has red checks. There is no distinctive characteristics between the male and female lineated WP pictured in the subsequent images. The last images ore of a golden olive WP, which resembles closely to our acorn WPs here.

Joshua

Apr 09, 2022 at 06:57 PM

Previous versions of AGeoJO's message #15913371 « Ecuadorian WPs »