Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of 1bwana1's message #15849667 « Z9 buffer depth »

1bwana1
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Z9 buffer depth

OK, I had some time this afternoon so decided to test my a1 buffer depth as Bernard requested. I only have 1 CFEXPRESS-A card so could not do a test with that type in both slots.

Cards used were Sony G v90 299gb/sec SD and Sony Tough 700mb/sec CFEXPESS TYPE - A

Camera set to MF, M exposure, 20 FPS. I ran each test twice and reported the lower number. They were never more than a couple of frames different.

Here is what I got:

Slot1 = SD Card Uncompressed RAW
Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
73 frames in buffer

Slot1 = SD Card Lossless compressed RAW
Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
80 frames in buffer

Slot1 = SD Card compressed RAW
Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
162 frames in buffer

-----------------------------------------------------------

Slot1 = CFEXPRESS-A Uncompressed RAW
Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
80 frames in buffer

Slot1 = CFEXPRESS-A Lossless compressed RAW
Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
101 frames in buffer

Slot1 = CFEXPRESS-A compressed RAW
Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
215 frames in buffer

------------------------------------

Slot2 =Nothing
84 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
104 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
283 frames in buffer

----------------------------------------
Slot2 =Nothing
75 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
86 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
167 frames in buffer

For the Sony a1 it looks to me like the biggest impact on buffer size is the RAW format chosen, followed by the card type, with very little impact from writing a backup JPEG to slot 2.

I am surprised that writing the backup JPEG doesn't have a bigger impact on buffer. I thought it would.

I will also note that after stopping shooting when the buffer fills writing to the cards and clearing the buffer back to zero cannot be described as instantaneous as I read that the Z9 is. It takes a few seconds to do.

If you are a sports shooter just shooting JPEG Standard to a CFEXPESS - A card in slot 1 at 20fps it looks like you may be able to just fill the card.

For the way I shoot when shooting action which is compressed RAW in Slot 1 and JPEG in slot 2 the difference in buffer is not worth the big price difference for the CFEXPRESS TYPE-A cards. I don't think I ever exceed 8 secs in a burst. The effect of frequent long burst that need to be facilitated by rapid buffer clearing is not something I have run into or tested at this point however.

Hope this information is useful to this threads readers.

Feb 02, 2022 at 09:39 AM
1bwana1

OK, I had some time this afternoon so decided to test my a1 buffer depth as Bernard requested. I only have 1 CFEXPRESS-A card so could not do a test with that type in both slots.

Cards used were Sony G v90 299gb/sec SD and Sony Tough 700mb/sec CFEXPESS TYPE - A

Camera set to MF, M exposure, 20 FPS. I ran each test twice and reported the lower number. They were never more than a couple of frames different.

Here is what I got:

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
73 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
80 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
162 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
80 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
101 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
215 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
84 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
104 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
283 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
75 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
86 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
167 frames in buffer

For the Sony a1 it looks to me like the biggest impact on buffer size is the RAW format chosen, followed by the card type, with very little impact from writing a backup JPEG to slot 2.

I am surprised that writing the backup JPEG doesn't have a bigger impact on buffer. I thought it would.

I will also note that after stopping shooting when the buffer fills writing to the cards and clearing the buffer back to zero cannot be described as instantaneous as I read that the Z9 is. It takes a few seconds to do.

If you are a sports shooter just shooting JPEG Standard to a CFEXPESS - A card in slot 1 at 20fps it looks like you may be able to just fill the card.

For the way I shoot when shooting action which is compressed RAW in Slot and JPEG in slot 2 the difference in buffer is not worth the big price difference for the CFEXPRESS TYPE-A cards. I don't think I ever exceed 8 secs in a burst. The effect of frequent long burst that need to be facilitated by rapid buffer clearing is not something I have run into or tested at this point however.

Feb 02, 2022 at 09:37 AM
1bwana1

Here is what I got:

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
73 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
80 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
162 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
80 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
101 frames in buffer

Slot2 =SD Card JPEG
215 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
84 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
104 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
283 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
75 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
86 frames in buffer

Slot2 =Nothing
167 frames in buffer

For the way I shoot when shooting action which is compressed RAW in Slot and JPEG in slot 2 the difference in buffer is not worth the big price difference for the CFEXPRESS TYPE-A cards. I don't think I ever exceed 8 secs in a burst. The effect of frequent long burst that need to be facilitated by rapid buffer clearing is not something I have run into or tested at this point however.

Feb 01, 2022 at 06:38 PM

Previous versions of 1bwana1's message #15849667 « Z9 buffer depth »