Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of nehemiahphoto's message #15174074 « Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses »

nehemiahphoto
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus other lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
nehemiahphoto wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:
nehemiahphoto wrote:
nhsonyshooter wrote:
I'm not seeing a big difference either way. Kudos to the Sigma for pulling that off. It's understandable but unfortunate it has that bulbous front. Just not an option no matter how good for me. My 20mm comes on Thursday, I just hope it performs at the same level as Fred's. I'm really going to regret selling the 24 if it's not

I purchased and had the same thought. Simply to large and bulbous. Great optic though.

I love shooting with primes but the Sigma 14-24 changed things for me. I could not believe the resolution/contrast, color rendering and flare resistance coming from a bulbous lens...and that's on a 60MP sensor. There is a very long thread on this lens here.

It's optimal at 14-17mm and at this range there is nothing in the market matching it and that goes for primes or zooms. Starting at 18mm, we have primes performing similarly but in many cases the zoom still outperforms them in resolution and contrast.
Flare resistance and very low color aberration (both lateral and axial) are also surprises.

It's definitely more challenging to use filters with it but it's the only 14-24 lens offering a rear ND filter slot option. There are also front filter adapters available like the ones from NiSi and Haida: (Fotodiox coming soon)
https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-Filter-Holder-14-24mm-Mount/dp/B07X5X9XL8
https://www.2filter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/haida-m15-filter-holder-kit-for-simga-14-24mm-f2.8-dg-dn-art-lens-for-sony-e.html

I totally get it, and having shot the lens, I can see why the IQ is a marvel--there's simply nothing else like it on the market. Having said that, it's like a lot of Sigma lenses to me--simply too large.

As someone who prioritizes size and rendering as much as technical IQ and probably more than most FM'er's (I hike 10+ miles often with a wide which I think very few are doing), this type of lenses won't do it for me.

But I think that next winter I'll head way up North and the shoot the Northern lights, or if I was shooting from a car more, I'd pick up copy if the situation allowed and be extremely pleased with the results.

Just like the Sigma 14-24, the new Sony 20/1.8 G has very low LoCA and LoCA for such lens. (Noticeably lower than the Loxia 21's).
It looks like its extreme corners are sharper than the 24/1.4 GM starting at f/4 all the way to f/8. The center area is ridiculously sharp and the best I've seen for a 20-24mm lens. (sharper than the 24GM when both are set to f/1.8!)

That's really impressive for the price.

Yes, I immediately noticed the crispness and lack of CA as well after about 20 minutes of shooting with it and posted that in my initial impression before I even tested it at all.

And you donít have to convince me! I owned and shot the Sigma 12-24 briefly, itís impressive. It really is an optical achievement. We are in total agreement about that, I donít think you could really disagree if you have a well centered copy just looking at most major tested optical parameters.

My issue, and a good issue, is that we have so many hyper competent lenses now for wides (28mm...not so much, or at all...), Iím not seeing enough differentiation to justify some of the optical excellenceís drawbacksóand that comment extends beyond the Sigma 14-24ís size/filters. The other thing you donít hear mention much about the Sigma is how reasonably priced it is. Itís crazy.

But I could pick six wide angle primes that have come out recently in this range that are just absolutely awesome, lenses that five and six years ago we were pining for.

They all make fabulous prints and at 99% of viewing situations, even enlarged considerably you canít fault the technical IQ.

At this point, for me, itís not about chasing ultimate corner sharpness at 42 or 60 megapixels when looking at crops. Itís about usability, size and rendering. Or extending the shooting envelope by offering something special, like the Sigma 14-24 does with the Astro correction, like the GM 24 does with its sensational color and focus transitions, like my Contax g21 with its minute size and and apex Zeiss contrast/color (for me).

I am so appreciative for just how good are options really are in this segment. Once we get a compact coma corrected 14/15mm f2 or f2.8 I wonít even bother with the segment any longer.

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:28 PM
nehemiahphoto
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus other lenses

Fred Miranda wrote:
nehemiahphoto wrote:
Fred Miranda wrote:
nehemiahphoto wrote:
nhsonyshooter wrote:
I'm not seeing a big difference either way. Kudos to the Sigma for pulling that off. It's understandable but unfortunate it has that bulbous front. Just not an option no matter how good for me. My 20mm comes on Thursday, I just hope it performs at the same level as Fred's. I'm really going to regret selling the 24 if it's not

I purchased and had the same thought. Simply to large and bulbous. Great optic though.

I love shooting with primes but the Sigma 14-24 changed things for me. I could not believe the resolution/contrast, color rendering and flare resistance coming from a bulbous lens...and that's on a 60MP sensor. There is a very long thread on this lens here.

It's optimal at 14-17mm and at this range there is nothing in the market matching it and that goes for primes or zooms. Starting at 18mm, we have primes performing similarly but in many cases the zoom still outperforms them in resolution and contrast.
Flare resistance and very low color aberration (both lateral and axial) are also surprises.

It's definitely more challenging to use filters with it but it's the only 14-24 lens offering a rear ND filter slot option. There are also front filter adapters available like the ones from NiSi and Haida: (Fotodiox coming soon)
https://www.amazon.com/NiSi-Filter-Holder-14-24mm-Mount/dp/B07X5X9XL8
https://www.2filter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/haida-m15-filter-holder-kit-for-simga-14-24mm-f2.8-dg-dn-art-lens-for-sony-e.html

I totally get it, and having shot the lens, I can see why the IQ is a marvel--there's simply nothing else like it on the market. Having said that, it's like a lot of Sigma lenses to me--simply too large.

As someone who prioritizes size and rendering as much as technical IQ and probably more than most FM'er's (I hike 10+ miles often with a wide which I think very few are doing), this type of lenses won't do it for me.

But I think that next winter I'll head way up North and the shoot the Northern lights, or if I was shooting from a car more, I'd pick up copy if the situation allowed and be extremely pleased with the results.

Just like the Sigma 14-24, the new Sony 20/1.8 G has very low LoCA and LoCA for such lens. (Noticeably lower than the Loxia 21's).
It looks like its extreme corners are sharper than the 24/1.4 GM starting at f/4 all the way to f/8. The center area is ridiculously sharp and the best I've seen for a 20-24mm lens. (sharper than the 24GM when both are set to f/1.8!)

That's really impressive for the price.

Yes, I immediately noticed the crispness and lack of CA as well after about 20 minutes of shooting with it and posted that in my initial impression before I even tested it at all.

And you donít have to convince me! I owned and shot the Sigma 12-24 briefly, itís impressive. It really is an optical achievement. We are in total agreement about that, I donít think you could really disagree if you have a well centered copy just looking at most major tested optical parameters.

My issue, and a good issue, is that we have so many hyper competent lenses now for wides (28mm...not so much, or at all...), Iím not seen enough differentiation to justify some of the optical excellenceís drawbacksóand that comment extends beyond the Sigma 14-24ís size/filters. The other thing you donít hear mention much about the Sigma is how reasonably priced it is. Itís crazy.

But I could pick six wide angle primes that have come out recently in this range that are just absolutely awesome, lenses that five and six years ago we were pining for.

They all make fabulous prints and at 99% of viewing situations, even enlarged pretty large you canít fault the technical IQ.

At this point, for me, itís not about chasing ultimate corner sharpness at 42 or 60 megapixels when looking at crops. Itís about usability, size and rendering. Or extending the shooting envelope by offering something special, like the Sigma 14-24 does with the Astro correction, like the GM 24 does with its sensational color and focus transitions, like my Contax g21 with its minute size and and apex Zeiss contrast/color (for me).

I am so appreciative for just how good are options really are in this segment. Once we get a compact coma corrected 14/15mm f2 or f2.8 I wonít even bother with the segment any longer.

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:00 PM

Previous versions of nehemiahphoto's message #15174074 « Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Versus Other Lenses »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.