Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of bjornthun's message #14689560 « Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review »

bjornthun
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: FM Rolling Review: Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar E-mount

Fred Miranda wrote:
DavidBM wrote:
sebbe wrote:
elimoss wrote:
sebbe wrote:

Sorry for coming up with that every time: Did you tested the CA without the lens profile? I don't trust LR in this case. Or may you share the RAW files from your infinity test?

If we are talking strictly about axial CA correction -- I could be wrong, but -- I don't think the inbuilt lens profiles, even sneaky ones, correct axial CA to any significant extent. Lateral CA, certainly.

I don't expect to see much difference to what Fred posted here. But as he also did his default sharpening it's difficult to judge if there is something. I'm thinking to replace the Sony FE 90/2.8 and if the lens really shows no CA this may be a good reason. The 90 shows the same bokeh balls when you stop it down and it seems to perform similar at 1:1.

The 90, in most situations I've use it in, has much rounder balls at f6.3 than this.
The axial CA of 90 is a touch worse, but still plenty low enough not to bother me.
The FBW is excellent on the 90, but I'd still prefer the real helicoid.
OTOH I like that the 90 doesn't extend.
The 90 is a touch worse at infinity.
At macro distances the 90 is about as good and contrasty as I think I can detect even life size, so I'll call that a draw with the CV based on the samples I've seen.
Of course the 90 means you don't need to pack an AF portrait lens with you on macro trip. (not I think that I've ever used it that way except as a test)

The FE 90/2.8 Macro is "internal focus" and therefore focal length will be much reduced at MFD. Have you calculated the real FL at 1:1 magnification? It's different with the 110/2.5 APO as it extends to reach its maximum magnification.

What is the working distance with the FE 90? With the CV 110 at 1:1 macro, it's 7 inches. (without the hood)

7 inches = 7 * 25.4mm = 177.8mm
The close focus of the Sony 90 G is 28cm. So 280mm - 130.5mm -18mm = 141.5mm free working distance when length of lens and flange to sensor distances are subtracted.

Focal lengths at lifesize magnification
Corresponding focal length of a symmetrical lens at lifesize magnification for Sony 90 G:
280mm /4 = 70mm
Corresponding focal length of a sym. lens at lifesize mag. for CV 110/2.5
350mm /4 = 87.5mm

Both lenses drop some of their focal length when going to lifesize magnification. Both lenses are floating element designs, Sony 90 G through internal focus and the CV 110/2.5 through three focus groups.

Dec 10, 2018 at 04:04 PM

Previous versions of bjornthun's message #14689560 « Voigtlander 110mm f/2.5 Macro APO-Lanthar Review »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.