sungphoto wrote:
I have both a Godox tt685 and Nikon sb900 speedlite. The Godox is fine for casual use, but the sb900 is my go to for event shooting where I need more power and quicker recycle.
That said (though I’d been warned of this) I hate how easily the sb900 goes into overheat protection mode with fast shooting, and how long it takes to get back into safe mode to shoot again.
Anyone have recommendations for a speedlite as powerful as the sb900, but with less aggressive overheat protection?
1. The SB-800 is as powerful, if not more so, and will keep shooting until it cooks itself. This is what Photozack81 was talking about. My wife has used SB-800 Speedlights, for many years, though she never fried one, as her shooting was mostly at death scene.
2. The SB-910 is as powerful, and as it gets near the heat limit, throttles itself down a bit, rather than a total shut-down.
3. The Metz 64 AF-1 is a bit more powerful, probably better-built, inside and out, and has a very nice touch-screen menu. I have never used mine to the point of over-heating, so cannot address that part.
4. The Metz 76 MZ-5 is POWERFUL, built very well, has old-school controls, and can be further improved with an adapter that enables using a Quantum battery pack. I have just acquired mine, have not yet acquired the Quantum power pack, and have not yet tried to cook it.
Most of my fast shooting, with flash, has actually been done with Canon Speedlites, so I have no personal experience over-heating Nikon Speedlights. I carried two or more Speedlites, and switched them if I thought I was pushing them too fast.
Another way to lessen over-heating is to use more than one flash, at a time, if feasible, so each only has to provide a portion of the necessary light, as mentioned by michi098.
Aug 12, 2018 at 05:34 PM
Previous versions of RexGig0's message #14557992 « Better flash than SB900? »