Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of darbo's message #13647634 « LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb! »

darbo
Upload & Sell: On
Re: LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is phenomenally good in the center!

arduluth wrote:
darbo wrote:
The \"Zeiss badge\" isn\'t on there for decoration. If it\'s on there it\'s because Zeiss contributed to the design of the lens. Sony hasn\'t been shy about developing FE lenses without Zeiss\' involvement and without the Zeiss badge. Not sure why the \"Zeiss badge\" is being protested here.

I\'m not \"protesting\" the Zeiss badge. Zeiss has relatively little involvement with the Sony Zeiss lenses. They don\'t design the lens so much as \"approve\" Sony\'s design and \"support\" Sony through the design process. There\'s also T* and Zeiss QA testing equipment used. There\'s been enough written about this, including by Zeiss themselves, we don\'t really need to rehash it here.

The FE 55mm f/1.8 was designed by Naoki Miyagawa, a Sony engineer. There\'s an interesting interview with here. My point is simply that someday Sony may not need to bank on the belief that Zony lenses have some magical German fairy dust that transforms them from \"just Japanese glass\" into something much better. It\'s a shame that Naoki Miyagawa can\'t receive the credit he deserves for the FE 55mm\'s design.

I get that you and Chris Gibbs have taken issue with my choice of the word \"protest\", but when you said you wish Sony would drop the Zeiss badge that is precisely the context that I am referring to with that word choice.

Jul 18, 2016 at 01:55 PM
darbo

arduluth wrote:
darbo wrote:
The \"Zeiss badge\" isn\'t on there for decoration. If it\'s on there it\'s because Zeiss contributed to the design of the lens. Sony hasn\'t been shy about developing FE lenses without Zeiss\' involvement and without the Zeiss badge. Not sure why the \"Zeiss badge\" is being protested here.

I\'m not \"protesting\" the Zeiss badge. Zeiss has relatively little involvement with the Sony Zeiss lenses. They don\'t design the lens so much as \"approve\" Sony\'s design and \"support\" Sony through the design process. There\'s also T* and Zeiss QA testing equipment used. There\'s been enough written about this, including by Zeiss themselves, we don\'t really need to rehash it here.

The FE 55mm f/1.8 was designed by Naoki Miyagawa, a Sony engineer. There\'s an interesting interview with here. My point is simply that someday Sony may not need to bank on the belief that Zony lenses have some magical German fairy dust that transforms them from \"just Japanese glass\" into something much better. It\'s a shame that Naoki Miyagawa can\'t receive the credit he deserves for the FE 55mm\'s design.

I get that you and Chris Gibbs have taken issue with my choice of the word \"protest\", but when you said you wish Sony would drop the Zeiss badge that is precisely the context that I am referring to with that word choice. And now you are protesting my use of the word \"protest\".

Jul 18, 2016 at 01:54 PM
darbo

arduluth wrote:
darbo wrote:

I get that you and Chris Gibbs have taken issue with my choice of the word \"protest\", but when you said you wish Sony would drop the Zeiss badge that is precisely the context that I am referring to with that word choice. And now you are protesting my use of the word \"protest\".

What you are complaining about, regarding the badge, does not make sense to me in the current historical context. Sony has now made several excellent NON-Zeiss badged lenses - particulary the GM lenses - so why do you presume they still \"need to bank on the belief that Zony lenses have some magical German fairy dust that transforms them from \'just Japanese glass\' into something much better\"? They didn\'t feel that need regarding the exceptional 85mm GM, why would you suggest they \"felt the need\" with this new 50mm?

Jul 18, 2016 at 01:48 PM
darbo

arduluth wrote:
darbo wrote:

What you are complaining about does not make sense to me in the current historical context. Sony has now made several excellent NON-Zeiss badged lenses - particulary the GM lenses - so why do you presume they still \"need to bank on the belief that Zony lenses have some magical German fairy dust that transforms them from \'just Japanese glass\' into something much better\"? They didn\'t feel that need regarding the exceptional 85mm GM, why would you suggest they \"felt the need\" with this new 50mm?

Jul 18, 2016 at 01:45 PM
darbo

arduluth wrote:
darbo wrote:

What you are complaining about does not make sense to me in the current historical context. Sony has now made several excellent NON-Zeiss badged lenses - particulary the GM lenses - so why do you presume they still \"need to bank on the belief that Zony lenses have some magical German fairy dust that transforms them from \'just Japanese glass\' into something much better\"? They didn\'t feel that need regarding the exceptional 85mm GM, why would you suggest they \"felt the need\" with this new 50mm?

Jul 18, 2016 at 01:40 PM

Previous versions of darbo's message #13647634 « LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb! »