Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of darbo's message #13647493 « LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb! »

darbo
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is phenomenally good in the center!

Impressive/amazing initial test report!

chrisgibbs wrote:
The 64,000 dollar question, does it render anything like as nice as the OTUS................? Because early tests of the FE 1.8/55 had it pegged as a mini-OTUS from a resolution standpoint, but its rendering is kinda harsh by comparison. ~Chris

Also, I tested a FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA against my Otus 55mm and the color rendition of the Otus was very clearly better to my eyes, so I kept the Otus and returned the FE 55mm.

This new Sony/Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 as well as the Sigma 50mm Art are amazingly sharp. But sharpness is just one aspect of a lens that appeals to me. So far, of all the lenses (of any focal length) I have ever used/tried/rented/purchased the Otus 55mm stands all alone for my personal tastes regarding rendered image quality. But, if the new FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA turns out to be just as good - or even close - in every image-quality way that appeals to me, I would be happy to consider selling my huge/heavy/MFing Otus and make the switch.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:45 AM
darbo
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is phenomenally good in the center!

Impressive/amazing initial test report!

chrisgibbs wrote:
The 64,000 dollar question, does it render anything like as nice as the OTUS................? Because early tests of the FE 1.8/55 had it pegged as a mini-OTUS from a resolution standpoint, but its rendering is kinda harsh by comparison. ~Chris

Also, I tested a FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA against my Otus 55mm and the color rendition of the Otus was very clearly better to my eyes, so I kept the Otus and returned the FE 55mm.

This new Sony/Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 as well as the Sigma 50mm Art are amazingly sharp. But sharpness is just one aspect of a lens that appeals to me. So far, of all the lenses (of any focal length) I have ever used/tried/rented/purchased the Otus 55mm stands all alone for my personal overall rendering image quality preferences. But, if the new FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA turns out to be just as good - or even close - in every image-quality way that appeals to me, I would be happy to consider selling my huge/heavy/MFing Otus and make the switch.

Jul 18, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Previous versions of darbo's message #13647493 « LensRentals: Planar T* FE 50/1.4 ZA is absolutely superb! »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.